Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've saved some cash and wanted to buy something cool for my ninja. The problem is I can't decide between an Akropovic slip-on exhaust or a set of SV racing rear-sets and double bubble windscreen in black. I'll probably end up getting all that stuff eventually but what first? What's everyone's opinion?

· Registered
239 Posts
Ok so I've saved some cash and wanted to buy something cool for my ninja. The problem is I can't decide between an Akropovic slip-on exhaust or a set of SV racing rear-sets and double bubble windscreen in black. I'll probably end up getting all that stuff eventually but what first? What's everyone's opinion?
As I understand it, it's not worth getting just rear-sets, as you will want clip-ons to get a real sporty feel out of the 300.

I'm also not aware of any black double bubble screens that come that way from the factory (can't find where to buy the Puig ones...).

So out of the mods you mentioned , I think the slip on would suite you best. More road presence, better aesthetics, and some minor performance gains :)

· Banned
1,132 Posts
I think you have 2 choices. You want show or you want go. I think the amount of performance you are going to get is little with just a slip on. And its recommended that you do other stuff i.e air filter power commander. I think if you want to make the bike look nicer invest the money in to other stuff like pegs and brake lines. If you want it to go faster then spend the money and do it right.

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I'm looking for both looks and performance, I just need somewhere to start ( I've already got a rear seat cowl and fender eliminator). I would love to get a full exhaust system installed and go with a power commander and k&n filter but akrapovic only have the slip-on available at the moment. I was also planning on getting clip-ons and preload adjusters purely for aesthetics but I'm not 100% sure yet. Would it be ok to run just a slip-on and power commander, or are they only worth it when you have both slip-on and headers installed?

· I ♥ Borat In A Thong
1,183 Posts
I did the slip on first. I am NOT getting a new air filter or PC and my bike runs great still.

I will eventually get clip ons and rear sets, but I went with the slip on first.

· Registered
3,936 Posts
I would say the rear set and Wind screen. It'll change rider interface with the bike and potentially increase your lean angle, which can be a performance increase if the rider can exploit it. The slip-on wont have really any performance gains at all since all the crap that's hosing your performance in the pipes and headers and not the muffler and baffles. If you just wanna sound cool more than you want the new rear set. Go for the exhaust. If you want something that may increase your bikes handling parameters, go for the rear set. The windscreen may help a bit more with comfort by changing the way air goes back and hits the rider. Do not get the slip-on if your objective is "safety."

NEVER GET SOMETHING IN THE HOPES THAT IT MAKES OTHERS DO WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO!

You should always ride like everyone else around you is a F#$% retard and out to kill you. You should use your skill, situational awareness, and planning to prevent collisions(I don't like the word accident and it implies that there is no fault on either party and it was just a random act of God.) I've seen riders get hit from behind, and many of them had straight shotgun cut exhausts that were loud as hell and still got hit from behind. We're talking about the perfect storm situation for loud pipes and it still didn't work. The exhaust is pointed backwards so that's where all the sound is concentrated. Thankfully all of them were relatively low speed so the riders were unhurt but their bikes were toast. Also according to the much dated Hurt report, only 3% of collisions were rear enders.

· I ♥ Borat In A Thong
1,183 Posts
Most accidents, from what I have been in, wouldn't matter if the other vehicle or my vehicle were a motorcycle. It still would have happened no matter what. Same deal with my step-father's wreck. Someone let their foot off the gas while reading a map and went into the intersection. He would have hit them if he were in a mac truck too.

Agreed - DON'T GET SOMETHING IN HOPES OF INCREASING SAFETY.

But like I said, I did exhaust first because honestly, I just wanted a louder bike. I felt stupid riding around and being able to hear the car next to me over my bike. That and the exhaust is cheaper than the other mods I want to do.

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha ok so there's been a lot of good points put forward and I've been shopping round for prices and I'm going to go with a full exhaust system. The leo vince corsa in cf looks awesome so I'm gonna get that, I found that the akrapovic is just a little too pricey for me (I know, you get what you pay for). I'm also going to go with a k&n panel filter and area-p programmer to richen the fuel mixture. Anyone know if they ship internationally?

· Banned
1,753 Posts
The rear sets add comfort, control and quality at a contact point to the bike. If I had to choose a pipe or those, I'm getting the rear sets. Next suggestion, the $ you saved from the full exhaust should go, in this order out of your wallet;

Steering head bearings, $45

Tuner, $250

K&N filter $35

Decat, $50 tops

Slip on, your choice.

The tunes can be updated to make the most of the next mod, and will boost the performance of the stock bike far more pre dollar than anything else.

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
That's a pretty fair point old, the stock rear-sets are doing ok for me so for me to get the SV ones would purely be for a better riding position (with clipons). I don't like the idea of hacking up the stock exhaust and removing the cat from it (I'm a welder by trade so it wouldn't be a problem doing it just would prefer to keep everything "intact" ha).
I just took the plunge and ordered a full leovince corsa system. Will get a filter sometime in the week and the tuner soon.

· Banned
1,753 Posts
The rear sets add comfort, control and quality at a contact point to the bike. If I had to choose a pipe or those, I'm getting the rear sets. Next suggestion, the $ you saved from the full exhaust should go, in this order out of your wallet;

Steering head bearings, $45

Tuner, $250

K&N filter $35

Decat, $50 tops

Slip on, your choice.

The tunes can be updated to make the most of the next mod, and will boost the performance of the stock bike far more pre dollar than anything else.

I take the 15t sprocket for granted, that should be among the first things to change too, $15. Bike should have it off the showroom floor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.