Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was going to post this over at ninjette but they are all rather unfriendly and tbh down right rude.
Anyway I have noticed over the past two weeks now that iv been getting about 75km from half a tank and 185 down to empty.... had to fill up twice this month allready :eek: before that I was getting a good 250-320 km from a full tank (12L) My riding style is the same, so I'm wondering if this could be a mechanical issue? maybe a leak? but havent noticed anything on the ground after overnight parking. Other thing that came to mind was its been terribly hot over the past couple of weeks and maybe that could contribute to it? dunno not to mechanic savvy lol
Bought the bike second hand, in good shape, mechanic friend of mine checked it out.... all good. It's a 2008 250R has about 8,500 on the odometer now. 4,300 when i bought it.

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated :D
(sorry mods if this is posted in wrong area)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It had a full service a few weeks after i got it at 5000km, charged me an arm and a leg for it too. Should i take it to the bike shop for a service?

·
Registered
561 Posts
sure I believe you!!!!

Honestly though i dont know anything about bikes. I'm sure a service should be in the near future.... Sorry....

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
done hoon driving once? what the? did i just type that? oh dear. Please forgive me, no scrap that shoot me instead.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Have you tried using any of that gas tank cleaner stuff? I was getting crappy mileage on my SUV after a while and put some of that in there on an empty tank and filled up and it improved my SUV. Plus I would look into getting it serviced... it may save you cash in the long run if you're spending that much on gas.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Was it running like that before you got it "serviced" or did it start after? Maybe they did something wrong when you took it in. Does it ride any different as far as performance? Like louder, pulling harder, bogging?

Have you checked the air filter? If they get really dirty and block air flow, it could effect gas mileage. If you got some gunk sucked through the carb, you could have partial jet blockage.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Did they "jet" it by any chance? The other issue could be winter blend fuels. They reduce MPG dramatically.

Another point, are you sure you are filling the tank to the same level? I can squeeze nearly another gallon in my 300 after it looks full.

If it starts and runs fine, it is probably the fuel and or the calculation being affected. Choke turns off, right?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Way too general. To check mileage accurately, you need to do it over many miles and several fillups. One fillup can be off by a wide margin because what are you calling a full tank depends on how the bike is sitting, and when the tank seems full by sight. Certainly gas gauges are notoriously off on most bikes too so you can't really use the gauge to determine half a tank accurately. I bet you will be getting 55 mpg or more (US gallons).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check your gauges before and after each ride. I don't know much about where you live but around my home town a lot of people make the habit of going on "gas runs."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts