Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
dont know if i am a big fan of EDRs designed to record our speed,crankshaft speed,throttel opening and so on.info can be obtained by kawasaki,law enforcement and other goverment authorities.can this info be used to void our warranty say if we didnt follow break in limits? like to know what you think. lets ride......

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
+1 to the above. It is in my belief that these are just short term data recorders/loggers as such. Peanut may be able to shed more light on this as he is involved in racing and no doubt has come across data loggers.

They are more for them to work out what has happened at the point of accident or engine failure. A safety buffer for Kawasaki to be able to rebuff warranties with motors and bikes that have been abused at the point of failure, and for the police and crash investigators to work out what you were doing when you were involved in an accident such as speed, throttle open or closed, brakes applied or free etc. So good and bad at the same time, but I think a necessary feature to improve.

I wouldnt see them being able to work out how you rode your bike 3 months ago. I would hope not anyway, for them to store that much information it would have to be uploading the info wirelessly to a server or have one real big hard drive in your bike, which I dont think is the case.

Or the 50m burnout you did down the street into a power wheelie ending with a bit of a stoppie..............:cool: Like a boss.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm thinking it could be thrown out in court anyway, I didn't sign a "non-disclosure" privacy statement about any "black box" in my sales contract."

Just read in the manual, Kawasaki cannot access the EDR without your consent or a court order from a law agency.

Quote from manual:

"Kawasaki does not access the EDR informatin without obtaining consent, unless pursuant to court order or where required by law enforcement, other government authorities, or other third parties acting with lawful authority."

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I do believe they just record up to the last minute or even less of that information. From what I understand, it is used to determine how "at fault" you could be for any accident you may have been involved in, by speeding or whatever.

They are going to be installing these in ALL cars in the future as I read an article on yahoo about it becoming standard for those purposes and Obama wishing to enforce it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Last minute eh? So it could be used in court to help the police officer who caught you speeding? Does it work off the odo or is it actual time? If my car is running for one minute will it only record the idle? Lets say, the accident involves a car that hits a siderail and rolls 600 ft comes to rest on its side and runs for two minutes before it shuts down, will it only record the last minute? what good would that be for an accident report?
Guess i'll call and ask about it, or ask my dealer for the info on it, I need some clarification here.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
From everything I have read online, it is only used in the event of a crash so they can determine the true cause of the crash. ETC a rider goes off the road because he didn't take the turn correctly and was going 100mph instead of 60, but claims he hit a slick spot or tried to avoid an animal or something. They will be able to look at the data and say "Uh you were going 100mph and and you hit the rail blah blah blah"

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
For cars I read that it will include speed / weight of driver / distance from steering wheel / seatbelt / braking / engine failures and probably more.

·
Registered
993 Posts
It does say it will have to have "an access port" right in the begining. I'm sure we will have some devices (like any other controling feature) that will "nullify" the black box that we will be able to remove quickly or "reprogram" at the push of a button. I'm sure an erasure of info could be blamed on electronic error or somesuch.

Quote from manual:

"Kawasaki does not access the EDR informatin without obtaining consent, unless pursuant to court order or where required by law enforcement, other government authorities, or other third parties acting with lawful authority."

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
dont act a fool and do your proper maintenance and you have nothing to worry about...

Personally I believe Kawasaki (or anyone for that matter) has every right to know how their bikes are ridden for warranty work claims.. How many dollars are lost yearly for falsified warranty claims.. If its your fault it broke the manufacture should not be held responsible... The only people something like this would effect are people the go to massive extents to break the law and or cheat the warranty system..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ninja 300 data recorder

Anyone know anything about the Ninja's data logger / recorder device? Specifically:

- brand / model (if a separate box to the ECI)
- interface
- communication protocol
- what can you do with the Kawasaki diagnostic tool that plugs into it?

I'm wondering how hard it would be to build a device to connect it to a computer..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.