Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this issue for the last year. Whenever it's a really hot day out the engine will be running fine as usual. However, whenever I pull the clutch in when coming to a stop or when I blip the throttle it will very typically just shut off. I try and catch it before it does shut off by giving it a bit of throttle and it picks itself up again. I have raised the idle to 1500 but it hasn't help and it still likes to drop below that. When I first start and when it's still a bit cold it never does it. I have asked around and they have told me to open up the filler cap to help relieve pressure in the tank. It has help a little bit but it will still happen. I have researched e v e r y w h e r e but with no real answer. I have recently taken it to a shop to see what they have to say about it. The guy who was serving me says he can't really do much because there are no engine management lights coming up on the dash. He has suggested to do a fuel flow test to see if the pump isn't working correctly which is what I'll be doing next week. I still don't entirely understand the problem because when it's cooler out it never does it. Some people say that it may be running lean which I don't entirely agree as it does pop and bang when I apply enough throttle to make it no accelerate.

I have the 2013 model year

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OP here. I do live in Australia where RON is the fuel standard. It has told me to use 91 octane which is what I have been using ever since I got the bike nearly 2 years ago.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If I remember correctly there was an ECU recall for the early model-years due to the DFCO (deceleration fuel cut-off) being too aggressive and causing this type of stalling. Basically (like almost every modern fuel injected engine) the ECU will cut off the fuel flow completely when decelerating at closed throttle to improve fuel economy. The trick is starting the fuel flow before the engine dies. From what I understand, early EX300 ECUs didn't do this very well and many people had stalling issues. Perhaps see if your dealer/mechanic can look into this recall and see if the recall applies to your bike and hasn't been applied yet.

·
Registered
309 Posts
How long has this problem been happening? Are you using standard octane gas? Was the gas old? Gas formulated for colder temps can vaporize in the lines when heated. Typically "Premium" fuel sits in the tank longer and if it contains alcohol will pick up water. Try a different station and Regular grade gas if you think that could be a possibility. Look in the tank for any signs or water and rust.

Might be possible an injector is slightly gummed-up. Try running a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate (1oz per gal).

Has all the regular maintenance been done? Air filter is clean? Plugs? TB sync? Valve adjustments?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts