Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any know issues of 2016 Ninja 300 engine leaking oil?

Most engine oils happen out of the overflow, or the air box, or the filter/drain plug. However, I left my ninja 300 on its side stand for a few days and came back, the engine was completely out of oil - dry. There was no oil puddle on the ground or my rear chain guard, however the left side of my engine seemed to be coated in oil (top of left crankcase)

Any ideas? Perhaps a punctured engine case? Blown gasket?

·
Registered
533 Posts
No known engine-leaking-oil issues I am aware of, no.

Sorry to have to ask this obvious question: you do know that the Ninja 300 on the side stand will display NO OIL in the sight glass, yes? (It needs to be put in a perfectly upright position to correctly read oil-level.)

When you write "completely out of oil - dry" do you actually mean that??? If you open the drain plug NOTHING....NO OIL comes out???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, yes - bkne dry. When I started the bike and pulled the clutch, it sounded like a Ducati dry clutch. Lifted the bike upright and no oil in the sight glass.

I changed the oil and filter about 3700 miles ago, and maybe slightly over filled it. Could that have accelerated the oil consumption to the point that it becomes dry? Oddest thing is that there is no oil spots on the driveway. Just the left engine slightly coated in oil/dirt....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No known engine-leaking-oil issues I am aware of, no.

Sorry to have to ask this obvious question: you do know that the Ninja 300 on the side stand will display NO OIL in the sight glass, yes? (It needs to be put in a perfectly upright position to correctly read oil-level.)

When you write "completely out of oil - dry" do you actually mean that??? If you open the drain plug NOTHING....NO OIL comes out???

Hi, yes - bone dry. When I started the bike and pulled the clutch, it sounded like a Ducati dry clutch. Lifted the bike upright and no oil in the sight glass.

I changed the oil and filter about 3700 miles ago, and maybe slightly over filled it. Could that have accelerated the oil consumption to the point that it becomes dry? Oddest thing is that there is no oil spots on the driveway. Just the left engine slightly coated in oil/dirt....

·
Registered
406 Posts
So weird! Did you ever see the red engine light on?
Have you tried to re fill it?
Re fill it and check if it leaks. If it doesn't, start it to see if it runs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So weird! Did you ever see the red engine light on?
Have you tried to re fill it?
Re fill it and check if it leaks. If it doesn't, start it to see if it runs.

I agree - it's super weird! The oil light never came on either LOL. The engine started up normally and I only noticed it was out of oil when I pulled on the clutch and it sounded like a Ducati dry (which btw, now that I heard it - I am not a fan of the dry clutch sound)

I'm going to replace the filter and oil today, ride it around a bit (carefully) and monitor for any leaks or weird noises. I'm assuming it's "okay" if it's..
A. Not a major leak that's there's a huge puddle of oil on the ground
B. It holds its oil level during a ride

Again, I'm hoping/praying it's just because I overfilled it a few months ago and that just accelerated oil consumption. (I also ride the bike pretty hard too....)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE***

So, I found the issue - one of my engine case bolts were coming loose. Basically, the most top bolt on the left side case (shifter side)

Images - the ones circle in red show the loose bolt. The blue show after tightening

I'll pose pictures. It was basically right above the area of my engine case that had all the oil coating. It was so loose, I could finger tighten it in before I had to grab my tools.... How does that even happen?

Anyway, does anyone have the torque spec for that specific bolt? I pretty much have it tightened-to-hell, but I wanna be more precise. Thank you!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Torque spec isn't much for a bolt that size. Just use a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket and make it "snug". Torquing bolts that size can often lead to bolt breakage. Check that all other similar bolts are snug as well. Wipe everything dry.

Make an oil-level check a regular part of your weekly checklist. In normal riding conditions the little Ninja can use oil, so it's important to check it regularly.

The good news is that because the oil light didn't come on, most likely you haven't done any damage to the engine. There was still enough oil in the sump that the pump could pick it up.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I looked at my bike and I believe can see which bolt you are talking about.
The good news is that you found this oddity; the bad news is that I doubt that's where the leak was coming from.
I didn't look at a drawing, but I am pretty sure that engine cover is supposed to have a seal under it: I am still somewhat skeptical that loosening/removing just that bolt will cause the bike to leak oil.

I'd definitely check ALL the bolts around that housing to see if there isn't anything else going on, i.e. more loose bolts.

And I agree with you; that shouldn't happen. A bolt like that doesn't just loosen by itself. Maybe the previous owner had the cover off, replaced it and forgot to tighten this bolt? Maybe they also didn't properly seal the housing at that time? Something still isn't right, IMO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at my bike and I believe can see which bolt you are talking about.
The good news is that you found this oddity; the bad news is that I doubt that's where the leak was coming from.
I didn't look at a drawing, but I am pretty sure that engine cover is supposed to have a seal under it: I am still somewhat skeptical that loosening/removing just that bolt will cause the bike to leak oil.

I'd definitely check ALL the bolts around that housing to see if there isn't anything else going on, i.e. more loose bolts.

And I agree with you; that shouldn't happen. A bolt like that doesn't just loosen by itself. Maybe the previous owner had the cover off, replaced it and forgot to tighten this bolt? Maybe they also didn't properly seal the housing at that time? Something still isn't right, IMO.

That makes sense - what else could it be? I'm so curious

·
Registered
533 Posts
Maybe carefully inspect that whole cover? Maybe the previous owner somehow got a crack in the housing, took it off and repaired it, but now it's leaking (again)?

Pretty sure that bolt was removed by SOMEONE at some point (and not tightened correctly when re-assembling it).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe carefully inspect that whole cover? Maybe the previous owner somehow got a crack in the housing, took it off and repaired it, but now it's leaking (again)?

Pretty sure that bolt was removed by SOMEONE at some point (and not tightened correctly when re-assembling it).

Ohhh okay - got it. I'll be refilling the bike with oil and monitoring over the next few rides. I'll update later.

Thank you for you help! crossing fingers

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good luck!!!

By the way, here's a pic I just took of my bike; maybe check the two areas where the red arrows are?
I think that's the same area as your bolt, just a litte further forward.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck!!!

By the way, here's a pic I just took of my bike; maybe check the two areas where the red arrows are?
I think that's the same area as your bolt, just a litte further forward.

View attachment 115160

Omg this is great! Lol

Just to be clear, this is internal (obviously). Looks like left side of engine (shifter-side) looking towards the front of the bike?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Internal? Internal to what? :unsure:
This is taken by poking the phone through the fairing, down at the housing, looking toward the front of the bike, yes. Your bolt is just to the right of this (out of picture).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Internal? Internal to what? :unsure:
This is taken by poking the phone through the fairing, down at the housing, looking toward the front of the bike, yes. Your bolt is just to the right of this (out of picture).
Got it! (internal = looking through the fairings)

Thanks @MAL - I'll take a look later today and update. I really appreciate the picture!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE*** 8/13/2020

So, I changed my oil and filter. First off, oil looked disgusting but nothing out of the ordinary (ie didn't have coolant in it, or metal flakes). However, when I poured out the old oil, I only got just shy of 2 qts of oil out - which means my bike was down more than 0.6 qts since my last oil change in 4 months prior. I'll be honest, that's pretty much how much oil I loose in the same time frame between past oil changes.

I reviewed the bolts and hoses and everything with the case, no other bolts were loose. I did notice a very small amount of "gasket-like" material coming out of the engine case where the initial bolt was loose (see pics above). But, no other nuts or bolts loose.

Changed the oil and filter and rechecked all the bolts, bike started up easy, didn't have the dry clutch sound anymore.....

I'll monitor the next few weeks with any more drops in oil level, new leaks, or the dry clutch sounds. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP, EVERYONE.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for the update!

Yeah, the "bone dry" reference was definitely a bit misleading! 😲

Glad it still had so much oil in there (and the reason the light never came on).
I reckon the previous owner diddled with that engine cover somehow. But if isn't causing issues, and 'only' losing 0.6qt every 4 months maybe just leave it as is, and just quickly check oil level before every ride, and top-up as needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts