Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been riding my 300 for about 4 months but I never have really tried to rev match when engine braking until today. The process is a little annoying as it is somewhat hard to blip the throttle while keeping your fingers on the front brake lever. The only thing I'm concerned is when to downshift to engine brake. I've been blipping it to about 6000 rpm each downshift while the engine is going at about 5500 rpm on the downshift. Is that too high or is that a safe rpm range to downshift?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Blipping is a funny topic but these bikes really are meant to be in the high RPM range (7 grand is not going to hurt it at all) that's why it has a redline of like 13-14,000 rpm.

Anyways, that feeling of getting a perfect rev match is hard to miss the first time you do it. It just glides and slows down at such a linear rate instead of lurking. The only time I do NOT rev match is when I am dropping gears and slowly releasing the clutch while simultaneously using the front&rear brake (this is when I am stopping fast/suddenly for some reason) and it's very effective. Other than that I try not to use the engine for that purpose although I don't think it harms it too much. I am not a mechanic/engineer whatsoever though so I'm not too sure.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
You don't ALWAYS have to cover the front brake especially when you know you're not going to need to brake anytime soon like when you're on open road with nothing in front of you. I don't think it's annoying or hard at all. It's quite easy and should be second nature. You don't need to blip it that high at all man. It depends what gear you're in and how fast you're going but typically you just want to blip it a little over the RPM you're currently cruising at. It's not like you need to rev the bike up high every time you downshift.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You don't ALWAYS have to cover the front brake especially when you know you're not going to need to brake anytime soon like when you're on open road with nothing in front of you. I don't think it's annoying or hard at all. It's quite easy and should be second nature. You don't need to blip it that high at all man. It depends what gear you're in and how fast you're going but typically you just want to blip it a little over the RPM you're currently cruising at. It's not like you need to rev the bike up high every time you downshift.
Exactly.

Once you get it down, you'll be surprised you ever had a problem with it.

Also the advice above is spot on, it really is just a "blip", not a "rip". It won't be much movement of the wrist.

I hate that it is one of those things you have to do for yourself to fully understand, but once you do, that will be your "ah ha!" moment. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with the advice posted. When I was learning the blip + brake technique, I was so awful at it that I decided that I was just going to be a clutch slipping downshifter. Turns out, a little more practice, and it just clicked for me. At this point, I do it now without thinking about it. In fact, if you're just slowing and not stopping, you can occasionally just leave your hand on the throttle, clutch and downshift quickly all in one motion. No blip needed, as the throttle is open; the RPM rise slightly as you clutch, you downshift and just let go of the clutch. No drama, no excitement, just a clean, fast downshift. The only one that is difficult is 2nd to 1st, since it's a rather large gearing change. Other than that, practice blipping on no brake downshifts, then add a little more braking as you get it down more and more. Eventually, you won't even think about it. Just stick with it and try not to overthink the whole process. You'll get it sooner or later.

·
Registered
594 Posts
man good advice from everyone. maybe since i am a car guy, and drove my 240(manual) alot, i can just hear and feel what the engine is doing....it does not mean i don't practice it though... you will get it.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
All you're doing when you blip the throttle is matching the engine speed to that gear's speed and road speed. After a while of riding, you'll know what general RPM for each gear for the speed you're going. Also you'll learn what the general difference between gears is. For example, I'm a very aggressive down shifter so the difference between gears 4-6 aren't much between each gear. As you get to third the difference between 3rd and 4th is a bit more than between the higher gears. The difference between 2nd and 3rd is even greater with the gap between 1st and 2nd is the greatest difference. For example, as I'm down shifting down into 2nd, I'm giving it a healthy crank. When I down shift from 2nd to 1st, it's a rip and not really a blip. Just doing a little blip from 2nd to 1st is where a lot of people chirp and slip the rear tire.

Just keep practicing with it and you'll get it down fine.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Reactions: Saberking13

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow thanks for all of the feedback everybody. Good to know I'm not killing my bike. I definitely need a lot more practice because today I had to brake quick so I still tried to engine brake and I ended up going past the turn lane. Thankfully there was no traffic around so there were no consequences.

I guess the one thing I didn't think about was the different gear ratios, so I was basically blip-ping it for the amount from 3rd-2nd except for every single downshift, so it was very jerky except for the 3 to 2 shift.

I guess I should just practice at the moment in open and long stops. Hopefully I'll get the concept in around a week or so.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow thanks for all of the feedback everybody. Good to know I'm not killing my bike. I definitely need a lot more practice because today I had to brake quick so I still tried to engine brake and I ended up going past the turn lane. Thankfully there was no traffic around so there were no consequences.

I guess the one thing I didn't think about was the different gear ratios, so I was basically blip-ping it for the amount from 3rd-2nd except for every single downshift, so it was very jerky except for the 3 to 2 shift.

I guess I should just practice at the moment in open and long stops. Hopefully I'll get the concept in around a week or so.
I don't know if there's any set time it takes to get it, but if you ride a lot, it'll definitely happen faster. Watch a ton of YouTube videos of people doing it to get an idea for how to slip your fingers over the brake lever so you don't pulse the brakes while downshifting (scary!) and take it slow. Add a little more braking each time (you're right, in an open area). Also, try both the middle/pointer finger on the brake method, as well as the last three finger method. Everyone has their own little spin on it, so try different stuff and see what feels good to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.