Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hmm. If you look at the exploded parts diagram for engine mounts, it appears that the inner cushion is just a length of rubber that the front engine mounts just sit and can slide on a tad. All to say, it's probably fine and was probably always like that. You shouldn't ever have to un-tweak motor mounts from a drop.

That said, the other rubber dampers on your valve cover bolts look pretty bad. You might be in a dry and/or sunny place that promotes rubber deterioration. My 300 has over 56k miles on it, and I just now (despite my last track crash that I still need to repair) the engine mounts are starting to wear out enough that vibrations are now being transmitted a bit more into the frame. So I may replace my engine mounts, and I could share what they look like when I get them out eventually.

I think you are fine so long as the engine is secure, you don't feel excessive vibes, and you can get a proper chain alignment on the front sprocket.

-Mike

·
Registered
356 Posts
I saw you read my thread, hope it helps! Thanks for reading.

Can't go wrong with replacement man. You sound like me; if it's bothering you now, it will bother you more later. I haven't tried jiggling the motor without fully removing it, so I am not sure how hard that will be, but on my engine removal thread I did mention how 'wedged' in my motor was. I bet that's just how they sit in there, so you might have a hard time jostling it around even with all the hardware loose.

Worth a shot. I am in the same boat as you, except I want to replace mine due to potential wear, not just them seating oddly. If I can't replace them without dropping the engine, I probably won't do it.

I guess I didn't think about it, but the front engine mount has that hinged piece. Maybe take that out, clean the bolts and check that piece for any warping after the drop. I don't think you'll find anything suspicious, but if you're going to get in there anyway, might as well.

Who knows, you might get the mounts off and see all the other parts too, and it might all look totally fine. If you get in there and don't find anything truly broken or worn out, I wouldn't bother replacing parts. Reassemble per the shop manual and maybe do the typical 'reseat' of the motor in the frame that so many people talk about, and you'll probably be golden man.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the parts availability. I don't think Im in a big rush, so I will probably wait. Usually PZ has what I need, they just take a bit to hunt down the parts if they're not "in stock".

I've been sitting on my crashed 300, maybe it's time I dug it out of the corner and put my eyes on it again today. Been working on my GSXR for the past couple months.

I'll check my mounts to see if they are at all similar to yours. Who knows, maybe mine will look the same. Do keep me posted on what you find.

-Mike

·
Registered
356 Posts
Anything big four and uncrashed is a decent bet. Best if the engine starts. That was how I got my gixxer. Found it in a lady's yard, in awful condition. Fried wiring, dash didn't work, starter button was shorted on, scratched and dinged, bent wheel. But the motor would fire up, and I didn't hear any horrific noises, so I bought it. Took about 7 months to get it where I want it, and it rides like a dream. Mid 2000's is a great era if you're looking for a 600 needing TLC. Winter is upon us, go hunting! Bet you could find something ugly for 1k or less.

I did order my head stand pin to get the 300 back in the air, so progress shall be made!

-Mike

·
Registered
356 Posts
Repairs from a low-side last summer on track. I actually got in there to find my front fork tubes got twisted in the clamps. I could see the stain from the galled aluminum clamp on the chrome fork tube. Nothing was bent, just tweaked. I got the fork tubes reinstalled and reset the upper and lower triple clamps so they are straight, and it looks good.

When I went down, my left bar hit the ground hard and got bent real hard. Forks, wheel, and frame never touched the ground, so there really wasn't a way for the forks to get actually bent.

Either way, fun stuff! I am probably going to try and reseat the motor in the mounts in case the frame has any tension in it, and I already got the back end off and made sure there was no damage. Should just be a case of needing new rearset and clip-on parts, a new clutch lever, new fluids in the bike, and some cheap fairings...

All in a day's work!
Oddly enough, my GSX-R just freaked out on the freeway yesterday on the way home. I was rolling into the throttle and instead of going, it bogged severely and FI light came on. Clutched in, and it went to idle, and then I turned the key off and coasted to a gas station. It started right back up with no FI light, and I was able to slowly ride home with no issues. I think an electrical plug on an injector came loose, but I'll have to investigate. Also all in a day's work! Garage full of bikes that need some love, haha.

-Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts