Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of developing folding mirrors for my bike. I am doing this because I can lane split and filter like a champion on this bike with them folded in.

Just wondering if this technology exists otherwise I will prototype it and crowdfund it... Anyone keen?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
How about stop being so lazy to take 3 seconds to pull them in yourself? Unless you sell this device for $20, I doubt there would be any interest. For most riders, how often do we have to pull in the mirrors? Once a day for me when I park the bike in the garage. But it literally takes 3 seconds to fold both mirrors.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Lane split like a champion with the mirrors folded in? A good rider can lane split like a champion with the mirrors not folded in.

1. The mirrors are there to help you ride safer and be more aware of your surroundings.
2. Since you're lane splitting, the mirrors will help you know if another rider is behind you that wants to pass.
3. How close are you cutting it with other cars that you need to fold the mirrors in? If the cars are so close that you feel you need to fold the mirrors in, perhaps you shouldn't be lane splitting?

I have a 90 mile, round trip, commute for work, 5 days a week. Approximately 50 of those miles are lane splitting. I've currently got 9K on the odometer and I've never had an issue 'lane splitting like a champion' with the mirrors folded out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess no electric folding mirrors then.. I have developed it using a few wires and a small electric motor costing about 18$ all up Happy to share the prototype if anyone is interested..

I am sorry if my thread made a few of you come across so aggressively..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
User CP has been filled in. Apologies. For the other 2 members who decided to use agression and try to insult me for coming up with an idea like this obviously it is important to me. In Sydney we do have lanes which arent that wide and pulling the mirrors in really helps with cutting through the traffic.

I dont understand why I offended you guys so much for you to belittle me for coming up with such an idea... I wish I could ride 90 miles without having to fold in my mirrors.. Where i come from its important to me, hence the thread..

It would be really nice if you could show some empathy and not be such a d**k about someone trying to offer a suggestion about helping the community.. You definitely make it feel like n00bs are not welcome here because you are so right all the time?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I personally think it's a good idea. There are situations where it's inconvenient and even dangerous to stop to pull in your mirrors. keep at it! Hope it works out, and sorry for the way you were treated, that didn't seem called for. Most people here are very open to ideas, even if they don't agree with them. Don't let that sour you from this great forum.

·
Registered
807 Posts
How about stop being so lazy to take 3 seconds to pull them in yourself? Unless you sell this device for $20, I doubt there would be any interest. For most riders, how often do we have to pull in the mirrors? Once a day for me when I park the bike in the garage. But it literally takes 3 seconds to fold both mirrors.
No need to be a douche bag. He obviously meant that he would like to be able to fold them while riding at the push of a button so he doesn't have to do it manually, e.g. Riding through traffic spots.

Push a button mirrors fold in, ride through traffic, push a button mirrors fold back out. I hope it makes more sense now that someone held your hand through it.

OP- don't be discouraged. Some people are just thick

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Seriously, how many of you would ride for miles without any mirrors through traffic? When I ride, I check my mirrors every little bit to ensure that some idiot isn't going to plow into me, especially at stop lights. Safety should always come first. If traffic is so friggin' tight that you have to pull in your mirrors, you shouldn't be lane splitting!

Is this seriously the type of mod we should be advocating on the boards? Especially for new riders? I dare any of you that think that this is a good idea to go and ask an MSF instructor or Police Officer what they think about this idea and report back.

This idea does not improve riding, it can only make things worse and we should harshly criticize ideas like this to help people understand the gravity of making poor decisions with it comes to motorcycle safety. This is why I was utterly unimpressed with this idea. It wasn't to belittle the OP, it was to showcase that safety comes first, not second when it comes to modding your bike.

Imagine if the motor breaks while riding and you can't use your mirrors at all, then what? Better leave it as is and improve your riding skills and awareness of your surroundings and plan for that.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Seriously, how many of you would ride for miles without any mirrors through traffic? Safety should always come first. If traffic is so friggin' tight that you have to pull in your mirrors, you shouldn't be lane splitting!

Is this seriously the type of mod we should be advocating on the boards? Especially for new riders? I dare any of you that think that this is a good idea to go and ask an MSF instructor or Police Officer what they think about this idea and report back.

This idea does not improve riding, it can only make things worse and we should harshly criticize ideas like this to help people understand the gravity of making poor decisions with it comes to motorcycle safety. This is why I was utterly unimpressed with this idea. It wasn't to belittle the OP, it was to showcase that safety comes first, not second when it comes to modding your bike.

Imagine if the motor breaks while riding and you can't use your mirrors at all, then what? Better leave it as is and improve your riding skills and awareness of your surroundings and plan for that.
Lol wow bro, maybe you should try to actually comprehend what the OP was trying to do, rather than just shit all over him.

Let's put it this way - if you had a button that made your mirrors fold in and out, do you think you would
A) ride with them in the whole time
or
B) push the button when it is needed (e.g. lane splitting) and then push it again for normal riding

Assuming that anyone who uses this would merely ride around with their mirrors folded in sounds like pretty bad logic to me. The point is to have the ability to fold them in automatically when needed.

If the motor breaks and you can't use your mirrors, then OH NO... you might have to actually turn your head and look around. You do realize that in most states there's no law which requires mirrors on a motorcycle, right?

·
Registered
206 Posts
This would also work good for parking in parking lots (so people don't bump your mirrors when they walk by) and for pulling in the garage.

(Don't some high end BMWs have automatic mirrors that fold away when the bike is parked?)

If it also widened the view (like mirror wideners) so you were seeing more than just your elbows in the mirrors it would be useful for more than just lane splitting.

If you don't have to readjust the mirrors after folding them up and back out again, you just might really have something here.

-Vorax

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Assuming that anyone who uses this would merely ride around with their mirrors folded in sounds like pretty bad logic to me. The point is to have the ability to fold them in automatically when needed.
I wasn't implying people should or would drive around with their mirrors folded in all the time. His reason for wanting this was to be able to lane split because it sounds like there isn't enough room to navigate with the mirrors out. If there isn't enough room to lane split with the mirrors out, he shouldn't be lane splitting! Yet none of you have recommended that he play it safe and simply go with the flow of traffic, instead you would rather encourage him to lane split when there is less room to navigate? That's what doesn't make sense to me.

And since I hadn't recommended that he simply play it safe and simply go with the flow of traffic in my previous post, I'll state it for the record. If the conditions aren't safe for you to lane split with enough clearance on both sides to navigate safely, slow down and just go with the flow of traffic. No need to rush the ride, instead, just enjoy it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I wasn't implying people should or would drive around with their mirrors folded in all the time. His reason for wanting this was to be able to lane split because it sounds like there isn't enough room to navigate with the mirrors out. If there isn't enough room to lane split with the mirrors out, he shouldn't be lane splitting! Yet none of you have recommended that he play it safe and simply go with the flow of traffic, instead you would rather encourage him to lane split when there is less room to navigate? That's what doesn't make sense to me.

And since I hadn't recommended that he simply play it safe and simply go with the flow of traffic in my previous post, I'll state it for the record. If the conditions aren't safe for you to lane split with enough clearance on both sides to navigate safely, slow down and just go with the flow of traffic. No need to rush the ride, instead, just enjoy it.
Hmm I didn't realize you were a professional lane splitter. My bad!

Please, tell me... What is your experience with lane splitting in other countries? anywhere other than California?

Pretty sure that things are a lot different outside the U.S. and so to make statements about when someone should or shouldn't be lane splitting just sounds incredibly ignorant.

I can say the other countries I've visited seemed to have much crazier drivers (e.g. Scooters in Italy constantly swerving in and out of traffic) yet they have much lower accident rates than the US.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
California Law, can't speak for the ROW...

http://www.chp.ca.gov/publications/pdf/chp888.pdf

Mirror (26709 VC). Every motorcycle subject to registration in California shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
Also looked it up for a few other random states like Nevada and Oregon and they state similar laws.

Colorado:

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2686.pdf

Equipped with a mirror free of obstruction that views a distance of two hundred feet to the rear

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I guess it depends on the traffic. But here's my in NYC highway traffic. I was moving 15mph max. The only time I felt like folding the mirrors was necessary was filtering between two big 18 wheelers....which I will never do.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Hmm I didn't realize you were a professional lane splitter. My bad!

Please, tell me... What is your experience with lane splitting in other countries? anywhere other than California?
None, but nice deflecting on me rather than answering the question I proposed. My bike is in the shop otherwise I would go out and measure how much room I gain by folding the mirrors in, but I'm confident it's not going to be much, maybe 6-8 inches give or take a couple. you still have to worry about your handlebars which is the next widest thing protruding out. If conditions are so tight, that you are worried about being able to lane split by inches, then you shouldn't be lane splitting.

Pretty sure that things are a lot different outside the U.S. and so to make statements about when someone should or shouldn't be lane splitting just sounds incredibly ignorant.
It's not ignorant to advocate better motorcycle safety. It is ignorant to promote poorer motorcycle safety riding practices.

I can say the other countries I've visited seemed to have much crazier drivers (e.g. Scooters in Italy constantly swerving in and out of traffic) yet they have much lower accident rates than the US.
Stats please? My impression is that the rest of the world is a hell of a lot friendlier when it comes to motorcycles than here in the states because people in other countries tend to be more comfortable with them as there are lot more people that ride them. That also probably contributes to the lower accident rates because drivers are more attune to sharing the road regardless of how crazy they drive. People here don't care, they'll cut off a motorcyclist even after spotting them or they are just jealous that we don't have to sit in traffic.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It would be really nice if you could show some empathy and not be such a d**k about someone trying to offer a suggestion about helping the community..
Sorry, I'm always an ass. Been this way all my life. Can't change. Don't take it personally ya c**t.

No need to be a douche bag. He obviously meant that he would like to be able to fold them while riding at the push of a button so he doesn't have to do it manually, e.g. Riding through traffic spots.

Push a button mirrors fold in, ride through traffic, push a button mirrors fold back out. I hope it makes more sense now that someone held your hand through it.

Yes, thanks for holding my hands. I would like to gently stroke your hand with my other hand while you were holding it. Would that be alright with you? If not, I would still enjoy you holding my hands though (PS - flaming gay here as well). I knew my gaydar was right about you all along! Getting me excited here. Wooo....is it warm in here or just me?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
New South Wales, Roads and Maritime Services, Motorcycle Riders Handbook:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/licence/motorcycle-riders-handbook.pdf

Talks about checking mirrors regularly. Sure you can turn your head, but it's much safer checking your mirror so that you can keep your peripheral vision looking at what's ahead.

Another post about if mirrors are required in Australia and there are posts that state they are required and must reflect the road.

http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/p/11312/75548.aspx

Not sure if this applies to Sydney as their govt jurisdictions are unfamiliar to me for that region ..

http://www.rego.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/550750/70051-modified-motorcycle-registration-requirements-20012015.pdf

Bottom of page 1 talks about the mirrors being required and that they must reflect the road behind the driver. On that note, I'm willing to bet that folding them in while riding is illegal, and for good reason.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts