Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am thinking about sending my ecu somewhere to get flashed but not sure if it is worth the money? Fwiw, I have and plan on keeping the stock exhaust but would like a little better throttle response and overall want it to run better if the flash does that?
Also, will it get rid of the twitchy throttle when trying to decelerate? I try to roll off the throttle but can’t roll off much before the engine braking starts and the bike gets jumpy.
Finally, any recommendations on where to send it for a flash? I may pick up a spare on ebay and send that in so I don’t have any downtime…. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
696 Posts
I got my bike with a Yoshi full system and a year after I installed myself a Power Commander and downloaded a map that someone in this forum posted for grab (thanks Zaph).
I didn't feel much difference. Maybe I had to have a shop make a proper tunning for me, but I was quoted $500 and I passed. Yes, the bike was a bit different, and it improved the on-off feeling you get when you ride at low RPM's in first and second gear, but not sure if it's worth.

Later on I did the PAIR modification and I didn't feel much difference either. Maybe I'm not sensible enough LOL.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yeah if it was $100 or so I would have already done it even if it makes a small difference. But for over $250 just for a flash I wonder if that money would be better put towards a quality rear shock upgrade...
I've seen youtube videos on Ninja 300 and 400's with flashed ecu's where people say "OMG it is a completely different bike now with so much power!" But who knows where that's coming from and if it is actually true....

·
Super Moderator
696 Posts
LOL Some youtubers are just promoting stuff.

I'm sure there is improvement, but many times it's really hard to measure it, and definitely very personal if it's worth or not.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would talk to Spears Racing and see what they say.

They have been very good at giving solid recommendations, and not just selling stuff.

My son is setting up a Ninja 400 race bike, and has started working with Spears instead of another company that was less helpful and responsive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
JJ if you had a full exhaust system, you definitely need a flash. I have full Yosh and ECU flash by Nels at 2 Wheel Dynoworks. Huge difference over stock.

Even with your stock exhaust, the issues you mention above could be fixed with a flash, I think. I have used 2 Wheel Dynoworks a few times on different bikes, and highly recommend them.

why don’t you call them both and ask their opinion, let us know what they and Spears said.

Nels and Jared 425 269-5332

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have pretty much emailed them all and they have all said the same thing that even with a stock exhaust you can benefit from a flash (more power and better throttle response). I have no doubt about that, just not sure if I want to have the down time of sending my ecu in and is the difference noticeable (like $250-$350 noticable).

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
187 Posts
My 2¢,

This all comes down to "bang for the buck", "want vs need"

There's no doubt that that flashing does fix the OEM problems. OEM has all sorts of rules, regulations, and emissions that it has to meet.

But is the difference worth it? That depends on the purpose of said vehicle, in this case motorcycle. Everyday riding, track, etc.. what works for the track, most times doesn't work for the street.

@jjmaine is right, is it worth the time and money, for what his needs are for his bike, and the difference it's gonna make.

Maybe someday he might decide to do it when money is available.

I've always said, the three "best bang for the buck" mods are brakes, suspension, and tires for the small Ninjas. Chasing horsepower is only gonna net a small amount, for track bikes this is needed to win, but not needed for the street, except bragging rights.

In the end is your bike, you must decide what is right for you.

Sidenote: I've been know to go totally overboard when it comes to my vehicles, mostly good, but also with some bad, and expensive results over my many years. Yes I have done things just because I can.

Reactions: jkv45

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
187 Posts
My 2¢,

This all comes down to "bang for the buck", "want vs need"

There's no doubt that that flashing does fix the OEM problems. OEM has all sorts of rules, regulations, and emissions that it has to meet.

But is the difference worth it? That depends on the purpose of said vehicle, in this case motorcycle. Everyday riding, track, etc.. what works for the track, most times doesn't work for the street.

@jjmaine is right, is it worth the time and money, for what his needs are for his bike, and the difference it's gonna make.

Maybe someday he might decide to do it when money is available.

I've always said, the three "best bang for the buck" mods are brakes, suspension, and tires for the small Ninjas. Chasing horsepower is only gonna net a small amount, for track bikes this is needed to win, but not needed for the street, except bragging rights.

In the end is your bike, you must decide what is right for you.

Sidenote: I've been know to go totally overboard when it comes to my vehicles, mostly good, but also with some bad, and expensive results over my many years. Yes I have done things just because I can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts