Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so we all know the brakes on the 300 aren't all that great. Ive been looking for a mod for about a year. Ive only found ones that are quite extensive or need a lot of custom machining. Until last night I was watching a back episode if yammie noob on it they were goung thru Craigslist and found this bizarre ninja 300 look alike called a falcon 250. I actually goggled it a found it. Its a motorcycle/scooter. Theres more of these with different names. What I noticed is that it had fuel front brake rotors it also has the same rim size with same tire. Im wondering that this has got to work on the ninja their exactly the same. What do u guys think

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would say no - it's not going to work.

Find the best brake pads to can, clean up the rotor, clean the caliper and grease the sliding pins, and bleed the brakes.

I have Vesrah RJLs on my street bike, and they are much better than stock. Stainless brake lines will help improve the feel as well.

You shouldn't need more than that on the street with inconsistent traction and moderate speeds.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have Vesrah RJLs on my street bike, and they are much better than stock.
How many miles did you get out of the RJL? Was that on your SV? Or a different bike?

I put a set of RJL in my N300 with an EBC rotor, everything else stock, and they lasted 3000 miles of track and street riding, not commuting. I was surprised to see them go so fast.
They felt great after a warm up, but they didn't last long.

Then, I mounted a CBR600 caliper, steel lines and put HH sintered pads, I think they are Galfer. I have 2000 miles on them so far, and they still have plenty.
I can't tell much about the difference in feeling because I changed the caliper and the lines at the same time I changed the pads, but the new set up feels very good.

Some years ago, there was a regular guy at the track that had a double disc in the front of his N300. I think the whole front end was from a GSXR. I looked kind of extreme. It surely had a lot of brake power, not sure if it was really needed. And also, it comes with some weight gain.

·
Registered
520 Posts
How many miles did you get out of the RJL? Was that on your SV? Or a different bike?

I put a set of RJL in my N300 with an EBC rotor, everything else stock, and they lasted 3000 miles of track and street riding, not commuting. I was surprised to see them go so fast.
They felt great after a warm up, but they didn't last long.

Then, I mounted a CBR600 caliper, steel lines and put HH sintered pads, I think they are Galfer. I have 2000 miles on them so far, and they still have plenty.
I can't tell much about the difference in feeling because I changed the caliper and the lines at the same time I changed the pads, but the new set up feels very good.

Some years ago, there was a regular guy at the track that had a double disc in the front of his N300. I think the whole front end was from a GSXR. I looked kind of extreme. It surely had a lot of brake power, not sure if it was really needed. And also, it comes with some weight gain.
I would say I have over 5000 street miles on them, and yes, it's on my SV that has dual discs.

My oldest son is racing 150 and 450 Supermoto, and is constantly toasting his brakes. He recently melted the buttons that float the rotor on his 450. He has looked into dual discs for his CRF450R, but it's very expensive, so he is trying different rotor and pad combinations instead.

There are numerous good brake pad options out there for the OP that should be much better than stock, and more than adequate for a 300 on the street.

·
Registered
446 Posts
One big red flag for me is the claimed top speed of the Falcon is 113km/h (70mph). On a flat stretch of pavement (can neither confirm not deny if it was a public highway) I've had my Ninja up to 185km/h (115mph). In races, we've seen Ninjas hit over 200km/h (125mph). I would be extremely hesitant to use forks and brakes off a cheap Chinese clone that has a top speed at less than 60% of the Ninja top speed. It's possible they would be up to the task, but without more technical information I wouldn't risk it.

I'm also not sure I agree with the statement that the brakes aren't that great, if we're talking about performance. The single disc dual piston caliper set up should apply sufficient braking force to lock the wheel no problem. I've calculated (with a few assumptions and estimations) that about 40lbs of force at the lever (and likely even less) is more than enough to lock the tire under normal conditions.

·
Registered
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
73 Posts
Ok so we all know the brakes on the 300 aren't all that great. Ive been looking for a mod for about a year. Ive only found ones that are quite extensive or need a lot of custom machining. Until last night I was watching a back episode if yammie noob on it they were goung thru Craigslist and found this bizarre ninja 300 look alike called a falcon 250. I actually goggled it a found it. Its a motorcycle/scooter. Theres more of these with different names. What I noticed is that it had fuel front brake rotors it also has the same rim size with same tire. Im wondering that this has got to work on the ninja their exactly the same. What do u guys think
I'm curious, what kind of riding are you doing? I have two Ninja 500s, and a 98 Ninja 250, all have a single disc and I've never had a problem with the brakes, especially when I installed aftermarket discs, and better pads.

Have you property serviced the brakes, calipers?

Below is a few pictures of my setups.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Reactions: jkv45

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ummmm yea I know what im doin. Was a mechanic for 10 years after high school and have worked vehicles my whole life. As for riding a lot of mountainous roads extremely tight turns with steep inclined and down hills. Warped my second front rotors in as many summers. And who said anything about running the whole front end. I just want the rim that way I can put the rotors in prefer all with steel tubing and master cylinder on it. With more brake area braking will become lighter wont create as much heat with less brake fade

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think a dual system would make the lever too light.
Note that my 40lb value comes with a whole lot of conservative assumptions. The actual lever force to lock the wheels is likely more in the range of 25lbs, and you are looking to half that.
If you're dead set on a dual brake system for heat/fade considerations, I'd recommend resizing the master so you don't have brakes that are way too light. If it only took 12lbs or so to lock the wheels, you don't have much range for brake modulation and the risk of locking the wheel goes way up.
It is likely that lever travel would also increase somewhat as there's now twice the volume on the caliper side. An extreme case would have the lever bottom out before full braking was achieved, but this is pretty unlikely.
I think a cheaper and safer way to reduce heat/fade issues would be improved pads and rotor, but that's just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's what I was trying to say, I went with EBC full floating rotors, extreme HH pads, stainless steel lines braided, and a bigger bore master cylinder off a ZX6 I believe.

This is an age-old debate going back to the days of the GPZ 500 / ninja 500, the European models have dual discs up front, while the US models have a single disc.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ummmm yea I know what im doin. Was a mechanic for 10 years after high school and have worked vehicles my whole life. As for riding a lot of mountainous roads extremely tight turns with steep inclined and down hills. Warped my second front rotors in as many summers. And who said anything about running the whole front end. I just want the rim that way I can put the rotors in prefer all with steel tubing and master cylinder on it. With more brake area braking will become lighter wont create as much heat with less brake fade
You would need some way to mount a caliper on the fork leg that doesn't have one - how would you do that?

Are the rotors the same size? Are they offset the same? Lots of questions and potential problems trying to use off-brand Chinese parts.

Look for better brake components and pads like Ghostt is using.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That's what I was trying to say, I went with EBC full floating rotors, extreme HH pads, stainless steel lines braided, and a bigger bore master cylinder off a ZX6 I believe.
Did you mount a ZX6 MC on a single rotor Ninja? How did it work? I've always heard that an MC from a double disc system would not work well on a single disc system.
I'm happy with my brakes now (stock MC), but I would be curious to try a better MC.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did you mount a ZX6 MC on a single rotor Ninja? How did it work? I've always heard that an MC from a double disc system would not work well on a single disc system.
I'm happy with my brakes now (stock MC), but I would be curious to try a better MC.
All of this is IMHO & IIRC, the Ninja 500 & 250(pre 08') use a 1/2" bore master cylinder, the bigger bikes use a 5/8" bore.

I found this a nice upgrade if you can call it that, I like the feel of the brake better, seems like it gives better feedback, and not so much force on the lever is needed to achieve the same results.

But, keep in mind that my front brake on 500 has EBC full floating rotor, Extreme HH pads, titanium banjo bolts, braided stainless steel line, and MOTUL DOT 5.1 MOTUL DOT 5.1 - Motul

My 98 Ninja used the same setup, except the rotor is a Galfer, since EBC doesn't make a full floating rotor.

Keep in mind I service my calipers regularly, and flush and fill my brake fluid.

To the OP, I'm sure you can a set-up that has twin rotors, I know it's been done on these bikes in the past, most common way is the find another front end set up, and make it fit, the earlier CBR 600s where the favorite choice, and I would love to see it done to a 300.

You can pick up a used master cylinder off eBay cheap enough, and if needed rebuild it. Worse case scenario if you don't like it, you're not out a lot of money.

Reactions: jkv45 and Topaz
1 - 13 of 13 Posts