Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great write up! Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to get to a Yamaha demo day in November.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great write up! Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to get to a Yamaha demo day in November.
I really wanted to get to a Yamaha day. The FZ09 in particular is a bike I'm itching to try, probably more than any other. The next bike will probably be a naked, and I'd like a high-torque engine.

If I had the money (for running costs as well as purchase), I'd probably get a Monster. They're such fun.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I really wanted to get to a Yamaha day. The FZ09 in particular is a bike I'm itching to try, probably more than any other. The next bike will probably be a naked, and I'd like a high-torque engine.

If I had the money (for running costs as well as purchase), I'd probably get a Monster. They're such fun.
Nice. I want to ride the xsr900. Also eyeing the street triple r. Rode a buddy's '09 monster 796. It was a beast.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I rode and thoroughly enjoyed an fz09 at a demo day. I think I would be too worried about dropping/laying down a Ducati

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I rode and thoroughly enjoyed an fz09 at a demo day. I think I would be too worried about dropping/laying down a Ducati
Actually, and there is some irony here, Ducati are very happy to have their bikes demo'd and tested. People do drop them (I asked). They're insured for it and plan accordingly.

The Ducati organiser that ran the demo truck encouraged us to keep going on rides whenever there were spare bikes. He said it's the best marketing for the brand.

·
Registered
34 Posts

You'll likely have a blast on the FZ-09. That's a lot of bang for the buck. And the triple sounds cool too. I traded my 2013 Ninja for a Yamaha 2014 FZ-09, after the shift fork in my '13 Ninja started to fail. That Yamaha was a hoot. In "A Mode" I could loft the front end of that bike in the fast lane on the freeway. Wheelies off the line were cake. Aside from excelling as a hooligan bike, it wasn't great as a sport bike or a cruiser. Its tall, very lightweight, and has a short wheel base. Reminded me of riding an XR650L on the freeway, sitting up tall in the wind blast, so for me it wasn't great for highway cruising. I still like my Ninja better on twisty stuff too. We have lots and lots of real super twisty roads where you can have fun doing spirited riding at 25 to 45 mph. The Ninja has better ergonomics and power delivery for that kind of riding as well. After having some fun scaring people (including myself) and guys on super sports, I traded the FZ away for a bike more suitable for road trips, and acting my age.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'll likely have a blast on the FZ-09. That's a lot of bang for the buck. And the triple sounds cool too. I traded my 2013 Ninja for a Yamaha 2014 FZ-09, after the shift fork in my '13 Ninja started to fail. That Yamaha was a hoot. In "A Mode" I could loft the front end of that bike in the fast lane on the freeway. Wheelies off the line were cake. Aside from excelling as a hooligan bike, it wasn't great as a sport bike or a cruiser. Its tall, very lightweight, and has a short wheel base. Reminded me of riding an XR650L on the freeway, sitting up tall in the wind blast, so for me it wasn't great for highway cruising. I still like my Ninja better on twisty stuff too. We have lots and lots of real super twisty roads where you can have fun doing spirited riding at 25 to 45 mph. The Ninja has better ergonomics and power delivery for that kind of riding as well. After having some fun scaring people (including myself) and guys on super sports, I traded the FZ away for a bike more suitable for road trips, and acting my age.
I'll probably keep my 300 as it's such a good commuter, and I'm increasingly steering toward the idea a second bike is genuinely useful, especially if you depend on them.

My hesitation with the FZ-09 is what you mentioned; everybody loves them, but nobody (that I know locally) seems to keep them long, which suggests it's not a bike for living with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts