Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends,

As it stands right now I have 220 miles in the seat of a motorcycle (not counting MSF course which was a total of what... 8?)

I have dropped my ninja twice so far... Both times of which I was practicing tight radius turns. I sustained a bent shift lever twice (which I bent back twice) and a few scratches on the left fairing and a very very strange bend in my clutch lever (actually fits my hand better now weird huh?)

I know it's all part of learning, the 1st drop hurt my pride and the second one I just laughed, picked her up and motored on) but is this bad?

Can any of you vets share any stories of dropping your bikes? How many times have YOU dropped a bike?

=) -V

·
Registered
192 Posts
I dropped the bike one time while practice riding. It was just down the road on an isolated culdesac. Was leaving the road to come back home. There at the end of this road is a stop sign I usually just roll throw since very few people live down my way. Anywho, I said to myself, "Ooo, a stop sign on hill! I've seen this done on YouTube, let's see if I can do it just like they said." Well, I got the stopping part. When I tried taking off I stalled the bike and down it went. Oh well. Picked it up then road home with my itty bitty feeling hurt. It is to laugh, it happens.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
392 Posts
Maybe get some frame sliders installed to help with possible future damage to the bike. Practice makes a better rider, better with small drops practicing now rather then in traffic. There is a lot of balance with gas\brake\speed when taking tight turns. There are videos out there im sure that can help on "how-to" take tight turns too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hehe, I second that. I remember actually setting the TRIP on the bike I had. I think I did 2 miles on the 1st day and 5 or so on the 2nd. Either way it's negligible :D

Yeah... the bike fell ONTO me, I didn't really mind that I was under it... I was protecting her! Ugh, as much as I don't want it to phase me it still hurts... Knowing I'm not good enough to prevent something like dropping it. I want to use reason with myself and say "dude... you haven't really ridden before.. give yourself some slack" but I want to progress with my riding skills faster than feasibly and realistically possible... SIGH.

I laid mine down around the same milage in my work parking lot. I didnt drop it. She fell left and i cought her but she still got slight marks.

And on a side note, msf was prob like 2 miles lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking this before getting the bike, but I don't have any brands that I like come to mind... Yoshi seem the best, but I don't really know if I want to drill holes. Sadly I don't even have a drill. The non-cut sliders seem like they wouldn't protect as well. They are meant to protect the frame, saving scratches is the bonus!

Any new sliders that have come out since other than shogun/yoshi/OEM?

Maybe get some frame sliders installed to help with possible future damage to the bike. Practice makes a better rider, better with small drops practicing now rather then in traffic. There is a lot of balance with gas\brake\speed when taking tight turns. There are videos out there im sure that can help on "how-to" take tight turns too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did almost the same thing, except it was at a 4 day stop, on an incline. No one was around so I said "HEY! this is an awesome time to practice!" Got going and noticed there were 2 huge trucks and 2 cars behind me that appeared out of no where, literally. So I gassed it and got moving up the hill okay but then the engine started to rev like crazy, and I wasn't in neutral and the clutch was out.

Stalled in the middle of the 4 way with cars all around me, went to get going finally, and turn off my turn signal, and hit the horn instead L O L.

Never laughed so hard to myself. Good times!

I dropped the bike one time while practice riding. It was just down the road on an isolated culdesac. Was leaving the road to come back home. There at the end of this road is a stop sign I usually just roll throw since very few people live down my way. Anywho, I said to myself, "Ooo, a stop sign on hill! I've seen this done on YouTube, let's see if I can do it just like they said." Well, I got the stopping part. When I tried taking off I stalled the bike and down it went. Oh well. Picked it up then road home with my itty bitty feeling hurt. It is to laugh, it happens.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
392 Posts
If its an option you can also take motorcycle courses given in your area that teaches you basically what you are doing and more. Unfortunately no frame sliders come to mind but the forum has a wealth of information on them and pictures of people who installed them. Do a quick search on the forum for frame sliders and im sure you will find something you like.

Reactions: Vezi

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did almost the same thing, except it was at a 4 day stop, on an incline. No one was around so I said "HEY! this is an awesome time to practice!" Got going and noticed there were 2 huge trucks and 2 cars behind me that appeared out of no where, literally. So I gassed it and got moving up the hill okay but then the engine started to rev like crazy, and I wasn't in neutral and the clutch was out.

Stalled in the middle of the 4 way with cars all around me, went to get going finally, and turn off my turn signal, and hit the horn instead L O L.

Never laughed so hard to myself. Good times!

Haha, I can't tell you how many times I've done that. Either to turn the signal on or off the horn gets tooted followed by an O M G. Usually scares the crap outa me and its very embarrassing to myself when it happens but I have to laugh out loud when it does happen.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Look at shogun no cut frame sliders. I have those on my bike. Very easy to install and you can take the fairings off without taking out the stubs too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
High five man, high five. LOL.

Learners mistakes, we all have to chuckle.

Everyone has been there at one point or another, motorists are probably thinking how retarded we are, but I want to see them try it!

Haha, I can't tell you how many times I've done that. Either to turn the signal on or off the horn gets tooted followed by an O M G. Usually scares the crap outa me and its very embarrassing to myself when it happens but I have to laugh out loud when it does happen.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like you need a dremmel (sp...)of some sorts to cut away a peice of the current bike plastic, which I don't have =(

I was looking at Oggy knobs, they are REALLY pricey compared to the other two but look beautiful and also I think I could install them myself with the confidence I have gained from removing the fairings :)... maybe... lol

Look at shogun no cut frame sliders. I have those on my bike. Very easy to install and you can take the fairings off without taking out the stubs too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Oh that part. It's on the engine cover. A really small arch to shave off. I used an exacto knife. Took me 5 min. You don't need a fancy tool to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THAT'S WHERE IT IS? What on EARTH did that allow you to do?

(thanks btw this is very helpful!)

Oh that part. It's on the engine cover. A really small arch to shave off. I used an exacto knife. Took me 5 min. You don't need a fancy tool to do it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
When you mount the bars, it sticks out a tiny bit. Shaving off that arch on the engine cover let you put back the cover without forcing it back on.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You know what you do as you start to lose balance turning right? You twist the throttle a little which uprights the bike. With time you learn to do this before you are off balance. You definitely don't want to hit the front brake within a very slow turn like that. That would exacerbate the problem. Generally when doing slow-speed maneuvering, you don't even use the front brake. Just a stall from a stop sign with the handlebars turned can make the bike drop to the inside.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I dropped a bike once just getting it off the truck. I've just bought it, I hadn't even ridden it yet. I got it all the way to the bottom of the ramp and grabbed a fist full of brake. She got pissed and over she went. Oh well, that's why my first few bikes were used. It happens, as long as you're not hurt, just laugh it off and take something away from the experience. It's all about learning.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
For low speed maneuvering use and drag your rear brake. It'll add a level of control since you have more power to the rear wheel that's under control due to the brake. That torque to the rear wheel gives it a righting and stabilizing force. It's a little skill you pick up when riding a cruiser otherwise you'd never make a U-turn :). Works just fine on the 300. Just a little bit of rear brake is enough to get it all working. FYI though, a lot of usage of this will leave them rotors pretty hot so if you are going to immediately stop afterwards and put on a rotor brake, might wanna let them cool before touching them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Been riding a bike for about 3 months, maybe 2 1/2. Haven't dropped mine yet. It will be a sad day when I do. I practiced my tight turns a TON in my culdesac, and in a school parking lot thats in my neighborhood. They used to scare me, as I could barely make a U-turn in my street. I have saved myself from a drop or 2 however by being able to put my feet down and kick off during slow riding. lol My advice is until you get good at slow riding is to always have your feet down.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts