Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a very new rider. Just did my msf course last weekend. Passed with one error. Anyway, I rode my bike a few times and enjoyed it. On monday, I got confident and tried to ride on a downslope from my driveway, well I dropped it :(. Bent shifter, and broke my left foot rest. I used JB Weld (Make sure you mix it well and let it cure, 15 hours minimum). This is temporary, new parts will be in 2 weeks, plan on using those. Here are my results.

After the drop:

Repaired:

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would not use JB weld for that... too crucial of a spot. A lot of weight gets transferred through those spots. But hey, if it works it works lol

Suck you dropped your bike =( Now you know better for next time!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, its temporary. Just need it to last for 2 weeks till my parts get here. The key is to let it cure, most people don't. I tested the basic functionality. Seems to work. Going to be safe not go far during the holidays :)

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I would actually trust using jb weld there if applied propperly it will be stronger than the metal itself.. i have seen some CRAZY repairs done with jb weld..

but I would use this as an excuse to get some aftermarket rearsets :D

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Never used the stuff. So I wouldn't know. Just figured it was kinda like a glue. Everyone I know uses it for tons of crap. I just haven't.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
JB weld is probably the strongest metal glue ever made, at least as far as I know. People have went as far as repairing cracked engine blocks with it. It is like a liquid welder almost.

For a couple dollars a tube you cant beat it :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
yea, i currently have jb weld on a truck radiator, (all mounts broken), been holding for 2 yrs now, I also used it on a full plastic bumper, the clips broke on the right side, allowing it to fall, used that for a good two yrs too, before i got that fixed. Truck is still keeping it real.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
as they told us in our msf class... anyone can go fast. not everyone can ride slow.
i spent a whole week when i first got the bike going 'slow' in the neighborhood (<25mph). doesn't make me an expert, but it gave me a lot of confidence in how it handles at low speeds. it also helps that i flat foot the bike with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
have you got a decent sized library near you? what i did was went up there one sunday morning when it was empty and literally just used the friction zone for about an hour. no throttle, no shifting, just friction zone. did right and left turns, u-turns, circles, etc.

again, i'm not judging you nor am i an expert, that's just what i did/aim to do for practice

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.