Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I haven't driven in traffic yet, when you ride up to a light and say there is one or two cars in front of you do you wait behind them or go around them and sit in the cross walk in the very front of the pack? Or will that just piss off the front driver and he may try to hit you?

Also on a 3 lane road in each direction which lane is best to ride in? Center, far left, far right?

· Registered
50 Posts
Since I haven't driven in traffic yet, when you ride up to a light and say there is one or two cars in front of you do you wait behind them or go around them and sit in the cross walk in the very front of the pack? Or will that just piss off the front driver and he may try to hit you?

Also on a 3 lane road in each direction which lane is best to ride in? Center, far left, far right?
Where do the pedestrians walk?

· Registered
381 Posts
I wait in the back and when I see cars coming up behind me in my mirrors I flash my brake light a few times "hoping" that if they're not paying attention they will see me.

On any the freeway I ride the right side of the HOV/carpool lane. If there is no HOV/carpool lane I still ride the inside of either outside lane. I feel that its better to have cars on only one side of me. Riding the right side is also where you can see the other driver in his side mirror so you know you're not in his blind spot. Same for far left lane but on the left side of the lane.

· Registered
562 Posts
Sounds like you should strongly consider taking an MSF course. These are things that you should know for your own safety before riding in traffic.

1) Lane splitting is illegal in Florida, so no, don't go around the cars.
2) Lane choice is dictated by the current conditions, as well as where in that lane you should ride (hint: it's not the center).

· I ♥ Borat In A Thong
1,183 Posts
Lane splitting/sharing/filtering/etc. is not legal in VA, so what I do is leave a good car distance gap between me and the rear bumper of the car and point my bike off to the side for an escape route if a car approaching from the rear doesn't see me.

Not only does this increase the amount the vehicles behind you can see you (A VERY small amount, but seeing a bike angled like \ is better than | and only seeing your rear.) This also allows you view your side mirrors to look behind you easier to view oncoming traffic. The best feature is that you already made an escape plan and you're facing in the direction you will retreat to, as opposed to facing straight and having to do a quick turn from a stop and weave.

But that's just what I do. I also flash my brake lights as they approach.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Me too. I do it from time to time maybe one or two cars if there are no cops around, but only if I am going to turn right on a red light and am pretty sure the cars in front of me are not planning to turn right too. It is not really legal to lane split though here in Texas (yet), so you could be ticketed if caught. If you were going straight, it would piss off the drivers though and is still illegal. People don't seem to mind if you turn right, since you are gone, before they have to deal with you, plus that right hand area is where bicycles, etc. would be anyway.

· Registered
367 Posts
Lane splitting is only legal in cali no other state allows it but they have the lease accidents in the usa and fews deaths but have the most riders.... should be allowed in all states as long as riders do it n a safe way and dont try it when doing 100+ like I have seen n the past

matt

· Registered
562 Posts
Lane splitting is only legal in cali no other state allows it but they have the lease accidents in the usa and fews deaths but have the most riders.... should be allowed in all states as long as riders do it n a safe way and dont try it when doing 100+ like I have seen n the past

matt
The only problem with that is you have to educate the public (a nigh impossible task, if you ask me), otherwise you'll get the morons trying to murder you by cutting over or opening their doors to stop you from passing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.