Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I'm considering replacing the fork reflectors with some LED lights. I'm not sure what to do about the wiring however. One thought is to drill a couple small holes in each fork - one behind the LED light unit and one up nearer to the handlebars, where I can wire it to a switch.

I'm a little nervous about drilling into the forks though - does anyone have any experience with this? Sound like a bad idea?

Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
you could probably discretely run some wiring to the location of your current front reflectors (fender, not fork mounted). Drilling into your forks sounds like trouble.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah I'd say no to drilling any fork parts whatsoever. Almost every part of the fork seals in some pressure, fluid, or is structural. Just get thin black wiring, LEDs don't draw much power at all. You could probably get away with almost hair thin wires, and just use a tiny bit of tape to hide them on the inside.

Just allow slack, because the front wheel moves up and down. Just like how the brake line has extra slack in it, the wire will need this as well.

-Mike

·
Registered
405 Posts
Am I reading this right, you want to drill holes in the forks so you can run a wire INSIDE the forks, like where the springs, pistons, and oil is?
What I'd do is lace most of the wiring to the brake line. This way, you have the proper slack for suspension travel. Once you got down to the fender area, run the wiring along the fork to the light. At some point, the LH wire has to cross over, I'd recommend running both left and right wires together along the brake line until you reach the clamp common to the Fender, then pass the LH wire over top of the fender and add another clamp to the same place on the LH side of the Fender. Once there, it's a short run to the reflector locations.
I could take a closer look at my bike later and do up some figures that illustrate a little better what I mean, if that sounds like it would be of interest to you.
Where do the wires come out of the LED units? Do you have pictures of the LED units you want to install?

Ultimately, just about anything CAN be done, but there are plenty of things that SHOULD NOT be done.
Source: I am an aerospace engineer who spends much of his day retrofitting and upgrading military aircraft with modern systems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts