Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new member here!

Former CBR250 owner, happily upgraded to the Ninja 300 a few months ago, and I just wanted to start an easy to find thread on drilling the stock exhaust on our bikes. I was debating on whether or not to do this myself for a while and couldnt really find a good thread on it so here it goes.

My reason for drilling the stock pipe was purely for sound reasons, and if I messed anything up, i would just buy a pipe anyways. So what I did was use a 1/2" drill bit and drilled directly through the "baffle plate" in the center of the pipe from the outlet end, which is 10" deep (the inlet side is 8" deep). If you flash a flashlight down either end of the pipe, you'll see a plate. There is just that one plate, nothing else between the two ends, so no need to worry about drilling through something else and potentially fucking anything up. The hardest part was finding a bit long enough. I then vacuumed out the inside of any metal shavings. BE CAREFUL on the inlet end of the pipe, there is a gasket that you dont want to mess up, so I'd drill from the other end.

So now the outcome. Sound gains were moderate, it basically sounds like the stock exhaust with a mini leo vince stuck inside if that makes sense. You get generally the same stock sound, but a slight deep tone tossed in with it. It makes a nice slightly deeper roar when accelerating. As far as power goes, it didnt feel like I messed up the air/fuel really. The bike actually felt a tad richer at first, I'm sure it'll lean out as I keep riding (I only took it out once since drilling it).

So my conclusion, if you want a slight sound increase to hold you over until you can afford, or want to buy a new pipe, then go for it. It won't harm your bike, or make your riding experience any worse, and it won't make it sound like crap either that you'll regret.

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Could you do this mod without having to take the exhaust off or take off any exhaust covers?did you just put a long 1/2" bit down the center of the outlet and drill?I like the idea of this but I think I'm going to give you some time to make a more accurate judgement on the after effects.

·
Registered
44 Posts
More holes....MORE SOUND!!! lol This reminds me of my high school auto class. Our principle had to come and talk to our class because the hicks kept cutting off their cats/mufflers and adding straight pipe.lol Not the same but I forgot all about it till now.
Ballsy mod but I like it. Besides, as long as you didn't hit anything crucial, you could always go and get a slip on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't understand why people do this. I've ran into a few 250 with the baffles drilled out, and it doesn't sound good. Just sounded like a 250 with drilled baffles.

Full exhaust is the only way to go, but if you're really just concerned with sound then why not just get a slip on and sell your stock muffler? You could probably sell the stock muffler for the price of a cheap slip on, but once you drill it out like that it's basically worth nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys, I've been busy this past week. I did do the snorkel delete already and I took the muffler off to drill it. You'll want to clean out all the metal shavings before putting it back on, but its very straight forward. Takes a bit to get through the "plate" but besides that its easy.

Just to clarify, this post is informational. I am not saying that this method is a better mod than a slip on or full exhaust. I am not claiming for it to make your bike run better/be faster. It is simply some information on it for anyone who was curious like myself, this way others can decide if they want to do it or not. Personally, I plan to get a Leo Vince soon but I'm straightening out my finances a bit first since I just moved to a new state and started a new job. Hence why I did a free mod such as this. I like it, it didn't do much, but it didn't hurt to do and PERSONALLY I think it slightly improved the sound of the stock exhaust.

To each his own.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I make 5 holes inside, :D
Also drill some circular small hole in outer lip
Sound good, but finally I have enough money to buy leovince cobra short, and put the stock exhst in garage.:p

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
490 Posts
This bike is way too quiet.I little more noise wouldn't be a bad thing until I can get a full system and pc5.they are the most expensive which is why I'm leaving them for the end.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Maybe, if you drilled out that middle part and made a bigger hole, it may have made a deeper sound? It would also be more symmetrical...:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts