Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 300 a few days ago and have since put 55 miles on it in my neighborhood since I don't have my license and the course isn't for another week or so. I spent the past few months learning how to ride from all those "motovloggers" on YouTube, and as soon as I got on the bike that all kicked in... Except the downshifting part. I'm not sure how I can best phrase it, but whenever i downshift and let the clutch out, the engine revs high and the throttle seems to not be doing anything. So I guess it's because I'm still going too fast for a lower gear? If so, is there a general speed or general RPM I should wait to get to until I shift down o make a smoother transition, or what? I'm sorry about the length but thanks so much for taking time to respond!!

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
brad, the only time i use a clutch on a bike is to get it going from a standing start

once moving, i clutchless shift & blip the throttle to change gears up/down the box, be it sport bike, sport tourer, tourer, cruiser, dirt bike, what ever

have a read thru my sig, theres tips for new riders, in there is a link to a few books/dvs to buy from amazon, buy the books/dvd and study them

better yet, enrol yourself in a motorcycle training school asap

·
Registered
655 Posts
Pretty sure the user manual has the rpm range for all gears.

It will come naturally eventually where you will feel what the bike is doing and know what to do.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am enrolled but they were full until the 28/29th, so I gotta wait until then to take it. But thanks :)

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Let the tach drop to around 4k in gear as you decel, then drop a gear, it should be near 6k-ish then. You are still going too fast for the next lower gear unless you are in a top performance scenario, which it doesn't sound like you are. You can downshift at a higher engine speed safely as long as the engine isn't forced to rev beyond redline at 13k RPM in the lower gear.

For your comfort, the 4k downshift, or even lower, should be fine. I use the clutch to soften downshifts most of the time, especially when dropping multiple gears, i.e. 6th to 2nd. :eek:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I drop a gear using the clutch around 5k. Play with different rpm ranges and find something your comfortable with and slows you down enough. Nice thing is our bikes have have slipper clutch =)

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
I drop a gear using the clutch around 5k. Play with different rpm ranges and find something your comfortable with and slows you down enough. Nice thing is our bikes have have slipper clutch =)
which is funny cause i shifted down a 2 or 3 gears and my rear tire started going out on me....

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
once moving, i clutchless shift & blip the throttle to change gears up/down the box, be it sport bike, sport tourer, tourer, cruiser, dirt bike, what ever
You clutchless shift all the time cruizin? I have started doing this much more but was a bit worried of the longevity of this box, given the quality of some other tidbits.........:confused:

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
You clutchless shift all the time cruizin? I have started doing this much more but was a bit worried of the longevity of this box, given the quality of some other tidbits.........:confused:
yeah mate, absolutely , im seriously thinking about strapping my camera to the bike and go for a blat & upload it

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
yeah mate, absolutely , im seriously thinking about strapping my camera to the bike and go for a blat & upload it
Yeah bloody oath, do that for sure. I would do one on how to upshift and downshift correctly and one also on clutchless shifting. All in the same vid of course. Would be awesome vid to have as a sticky mate, a lot of questions about shifting.

The amount of people I hear of riding bikes that do not know how to downshift correctly is boggling.........:eek:

Well I might start to clutchless shift a whole lot more then.......it is very fun, and really easy with this box.

Cheers mate!!!

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Yeah bloody oath, do that for sure. I would do one on how to upshift and downshift correctly and one also on clutchless shifting. All in the same vid of course. Would be awesome vid to have as a sticky mate, a lot of questions about shifting.

The amount of people I hear of riding bikes that do not know how to downshift correctly is boggling.........:eek:

Well I might start to clutchless shift a whole lot more then.......it is very fun, and really easy with this box.

Cheers mate!!!

piece of cake mate. if i get a chance this arvo i will do this. i have been toying with the idea for ages.

how do you want the camera mounted, you want it pointing forward or what?
i can mount it to the arms the mirrors attach to and point it forward or point it back down at the left side (clutch side) so you can see that im not BS any of you and i only use the clutch to take off with, then, that’s it, clutchless all the way

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I would say mount so you can see the clutch, people will be able to hear that you are shifting then, but see that you are not using clutch at all.

So you clutchless downshift too? I am all good with doing a clutchless upshift, but I didnt think you could going down..... I love learning new tricks, never stop learning I say. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
yes mate, clutchess down shift

clutchless up shift

the secret is blip the throttle, but dont do stupid with it, you only need a little bit or else the bike gets a real jerk about it

once you have mastered it, if you take passengers for a ride, they will thank you for it cos the bike is so much more smoother when changing gears so the passenger doesn’t feel like they are riding a bucking bull at a rodeo

im not sure if i will get the time to do it this arvo, some how i dont think so, i might have to get up early in the morning and do it then

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Ahhh sweet as mate, champion. Thats one thing my missus does complain about, that whenever I shift up or down, she slides around a bit.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
with a passenger on board, grab the preload on the rear and wind it up flat chat or else the bike "wallows" in corners and handles like crap. doesnt matter what bike it is, they all do the same thing.

next , jack up the tire pressures. i run 38psi up front, 42 psi rear, i do on every bike i have ever owned or ridden. if you dont the bike has a mind of its own and follows the countour/grooves in the road and you have to constantly fight the bastard to go anywhere and its not much fun. this way *YOU* control it and its much more fun to ride

next, tell the passenger to sit on the back like a statue. you do the leaning. if you get them to lean they will usually be unpredictable as to how far they will lean over and of course this also affects how the bike handles and it can catch you off guard if the bike goes over on more of a lean then you were expecting.

so, pillion like a statue, get them to hold your waist or the handles under the seat or grab your jacket/draggin jeans close to your hips

next

*YOU* the rider, need to learn throttle controll and make everything as smooth as possible, the extra weight you now have is going to magnify all of your bad riding habits

smooth on the throttle, smooth on the brakes and easy round the corners.

if you usually ride like wayne gardner or troy corser or mick doohan, dont do it with a pillion on the back, do it on your own

·
Registered
155 Posts
From one beginner to another, learn the regular downshift technique first. Throttle blipping is just too unpredictable until you've mastered it. Say there's a car in front of you and you're slowing down with engine braking...one bad move with throttle blip and you ramp into the car!

Plus the regular downshift technique is butter smooth and allows your right hand to do 1 thing only: modulate the brake.

Here's a video (
) of how I do a regular downshift. You can ignore the right hand as I'm just applying brake with throttle completely off. Pay attention to the RPM needle and the sound. It's too bad you can't see my left hand very well but it's basically a quick pull, quick release (to friction zone), and ease out.

1. clutch in (sharp drop in RPM and sound)
2. downshift
3. clutch out to friction zone (RPM stops dropping)
4. hold in friction zone
5. completely ease out clutch (RPM and sound rise)

Steps 1-3 should be done instantaneously. When you're first learning this, you can take your time with steps 1-3 but you'll need to slow down 4-5 for the RPM to pickup from a lower level that it has dropped to.

If you insert step 2b (apply throttle) then you have a quick downshift passing technique.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
From one beginner to another, learn the regular downshift technique first. Throttle blipping is just too unpredictable until you've mastered it. Say there's a car in front of you and you're slowing down with engine braking...one bad move with throttle blip and you ramp into the car!

Plus the regular downshift technique is butter smooth and allows your right hand to do 1 thing only: modulate the brake..
i have been riding motorcycles for 31 years now, im pretty sure i passed the beginner section years ago

throttle blip is 2nd nature to me

i cover the front/rear brakes and use them as well as engine braking. adjust the brake lever upwards so you can use the front brake with your index and middle finger while using the throttle.very simple and easy stuff to do

i have just finished mounting my camera to the right side mirror so it looks thru the clear screen to the clutch of the bike and you can see the handle bar move thru its full motion very nicely

i cant go riding for a few more hours yet, infact i dunno if i can tonight i dunno if i will have enough sun , i have few things left to do round the place before i ride, if not i will do it in the morning

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
I was referring to myself and the OP as the beginners here :)
my bad, sorry.

but to be honest, i learnt how to cluchless shift *FIRST* mastered it and then i found using the clutch to change gears a lot easier cos

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
I would say mount so you can see the clutch, people will be able to hear that you are shifting then, but see that you are not using clutch at all.

So you clutchless downshift too? I am all good with doing a clutchless upshift, but I didnt think you could going down..... I love learning new tricks, never stop learning I say. ;)
just ,made a quick 6 minute video , upload it now , sun going down quick tonight, will upload to youtube & make new thread so you can see clutchless up/down shifting on the ninja 300

1 - 20 of 32 Posts