Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hero of Time
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven cars for awhile and lets say I'm approaching a stop in 6th..i clutch in, go to neutral, start braking...after im stopped i put it into first then start going again.

what i think i've been hearing is that on a motorcycle you have to downshift into every gear to get back into 1st? i cant just clutch in and go all the way to first while approaching the stop light? my MSF course isn't till friday and I'm sure I could ask then it's just been making me wonder for a few days cause doing that in a car would be super annoying.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I skip gears sometimes when I downshift and that's ok but If you try to go from 6th to first it will stop at like 3rd. Then you gotta give it some gas and let the clutch out a little then it will let u go into first.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Once you get use to it it won't be a thing. I always try to be in the right gear for the speed or situation. If something comes up you want to be able to react instantly.

~mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Even if you're not engine braking, I think it's better to downshift through each gear as you are rolling to a stop.... If you come to a complete stop in 6th, sometimes the bike won't drop all the way down to 1st for some reason.

-THE DON

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have never been a fan of rolling around with the clutch pulled in, I always like to be in a gear just in case I need to move.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
You can jam down thru them with a single clutch pull. I go from 6th to 2nd very often. Not sure if thats what you mean here? To drop into 1st I like to be under 10 MPH or it clunks as the shaft speeds match up. I'll decel to a stop and keep tapping down to first in one fluid motion.

Shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can absolutely go through the gears all at once. On my commute I go from 50 mph in 6th to a stop light every day. As soon as I approach it, clutch in, 5 clicks, roll to a stop, take off when the light turns green.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
958 Posts
I down shift to engine brake, but I also brake and pull in the clutch and shift all the way down to first, no problem.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I down shift to engine brake, but I also brake and pull in the clutch and shift all the way down to first, no problem.
+1.

You can skip gears, but not like a car where you just put the shift knob from 6th to 1st.. you have to press down (or up if you run GP style) through each gear till you hit the gear you want.

And as The Don said, don't roll up to a stop sign or light in 6th gear and then press through the gears, because sometimes, your transmission (happens on most bikes) won't want to make it easy on you. lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with @Lienmarine...

In my typical city driving I could be in 6th gear cruising down the street and up to a red light doing 50-55mph...

Clutch in with left hand, Front brake eased in with Right hand, Slight pressure on rear brake with right foot, and all while rolling into the stop with obvious adjustment in braking, I use my left foot to down shift 4-5 clicks(putting me in 2nd or 1st gear) depending on whether traffic is still at a dead stop or beginning to move at the recent change to green light all...

Sometimes if I am still traveling a bit fast and down shift too fast while just holding in the clutch, I will feel the gears drop into 2nd and 1st quite hard, although I don't feel the backlash of this since I have the clutch pulled in.. I'm not sure if what I am doing is ok, but as a beginning rider, it is what seems easiest and most comfortable to me... I feel as if I have more control and can react accordingly to what may change ahead through this method as opposed to engine breaking and feeling that nice jolt as you might accident down shift into a gear too quick before you are at the appropriate speed for that gear...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yeah no problem shifting the gears right down in 1 go! But wow 1st I've heard of anyone driving like that! Rolling in neutral offers absolutely no control and your braking distance must be huge or your locking brakes dangerously! Downshifting and using your gears will offer much more control over your machine!

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
I've driven cars for awhile and lets say I'm approaching a stop in 6th..i clutch in, go to neutral, start braking...after im stopped i put it into first then start going again.

what i think i've been hearing is that on a motorcycle you have to downshift into every gear to get back into 1st? i cant just clutch in and go all the way to first while approaching the stop light? my MSF course isn't till friday and I'm sure I could ask then it's just been making me wonder for a few days cause doing that in a car would be super annoying.

motorcycles use a "sequential gearbox" 1 down up neutral, and up for 2-3-4-5-6

been like that for many years and swapped gear shift to the left side only about 30 years or so ago.

you cant go from 6th to first in one kick of the lever. just doesnt happen.sometimes on some bikes depending how cruddy the gear box is you can find a "false" neutral between gears. thats cos the teeth haven’t engaged correctly in the gear box.

i would read a few books if i were you

twist of the wrist
twist of the wrist part 2
both books by keith code, dont read them, study them, they will save your life one day

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I engine brake down to about 18-19MPH and then pull the clutch and both brakes while I down shift to 1st at every light/sign before coming to a complete stop.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
guys i understood that you can't go straight from 6th to 1st i just meant was it unsafe to go from 6th to first without releasing the clutch haha
No it's not unsafe. Just like a car, if the clutch is engaged, you're good to go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've always been told, and have, downshifted though the gears on bikes and in cars. I guess it could be bad in a case where ya doin 80 for example, clutch in hammering down gears, you might find ya self doin 50 when ya wanna put the gas on again but ya in 1st :S Havin slipper clutches in the 300's makes doin this not so bad as they don't let the back wheel lock up :)

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
It sucks when you start to slow because of traffic or a light, and as you start downshifting you lose concentration on what gear you're in and then whatever was making you slow goes away. I usually find myself holding the clutch and going all the way back to first and then putting it in the gear that matches my current speed / acceleration plan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts