Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp... it actually happened. Despite my believing I wouldn't let it happen to me. Pulling into my garage.... have this weird finish on it that makes it really slippery... I think I was coming in a little too fast... braked.. it slipped... and down I went.

Only cosmetic damage on the right side. Left rearset snapped (somehow.. might be my left shin because that's the only thing that hurts on me.) (On second look it seems like it went left first, hit the ground, broke, I tried to save it and it went right and thats when it hit the ground and sustained the cosmetic damage)

Any ideas on how much it costs to replace the rearset? Is it cheaper to take it to a welder to have them fix it? Would that maintain it's structural integrity?

Thanks for the help guys and gals...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Exactly. Going slow and maneuvering is one of the hardest thing to do on a bike. I've never seen a garage floor like that. I have a center stand on my Vespa and I would never get it off the stand on that floor. It would just scoot forward. Glad you're OK. I might be tempted to glue down some wet and dry carpeting where the motorcycle goes. I imagine it is even worse when the tires are wet.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Whoa! Going a "little" too fast? :eek:

Is that a skid mark or burn out line? :cool:

Good time to upgrade to a set of real rear sets.

And, maybe shut it off and push it into the garage from now on? ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
of which ones? anything for the Ninja 250R will fit..
Sorry, I meant the ones that come with the bike factory.

Whoa! Going a "little" too fast? :eek:

Is that a skid mark or burn out line? :cool:

Good time to upgrade to a set of real rear sets.

And, maybe shut it off and push it into the garage from now on? ;)
Funny.. :p I think I reached up to the front brake and rolled the throttle a bit.. :/ Worst part is that I parked it maybe 3 minutes earlier but took it back out because I couldn't get it into neutral and thought I had to move it some. Yes, it's in neutral now... :p

Are the aftermarket rearsets stronger/less prone to breaking than the factory ones?

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Sorry, I meant the ones that come with the bike factory.

Funny.. :p I think I reached up to the front brake and rolled the throttle a bit.. :/ Worst part is that I parked it maybe 3 minutes earlier but took it back out because I couldn't get it into neutral and thought I had to move it some. Yes, it's in neutral now... :p

Are the aftermarket rearsets stronger/less prone to breaking than the factory ones?

That looks like a lil whisky throttle my friend. It happens when you are new to the sport. more practice, practice, practice. Don't trust yourself on the road yet.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like a $60 part too. Replace it.
The factory rearset will cost my $60 to replace? Maybe I should get one of those before moving to the aftermarket world just in case...

That looks like a lil whisky throttle my friend. It happens when you are new to the sport. more practice, practice, practice. Don't trust yourself on the road yet.
I agree. I clearly quit being as focused and careful in the relative safety and controlled atmosphere of my garage. Lesson learned. Thanks for the support!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I just use the friction zone when in my garage. I turn it off once I get it in position to just push gently. My garage floor is slick too. I always hate to hear these stories. Glad you're ok though.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts

Clutch control, my friend. If you're going somewhere and you anticipate a stop sometime coming up, you should have your left fingers extended over and maybe pulling in the clutch slightly in preparation. Also... why are you parking in neutral? The only time my bike is parked in neutral is when I am unlocking my gate/garage while warming it up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I always leave it in neutral while in my garage. If I'm parking somewhere else, it's in gear with the steering column locked.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Even in my garage it's in first and wheel locked. I have a kid and I don't trust people to not break in and mess with my stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts