Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
I disagree with you guys. Bike is the least at fault, yes, but I still believe he was partly to blame for causing a trucker (most of which are usually going the speed limit or slower than other traffic) to have to switch lanes.

:detectivesmilie:

And also, if you watch the video super closely, does anyone else seem to think that the trucker might have jerked the wheel at about the 0:12 second mark? It seems like at first his entire lane change is smooth and then at that point, you see his cab appear REAL quick. Being this is Russia, with their dash cams and based on other videos I've seen...it's very likely. They do some crazy ****. I think there is something else going on up there that we didn't see on camera...either the bike brake checked him (like that biker did in NYC with that SUV that was all over the news) or the trucker isn't paying attention - which would confirm my earlier suspicions as to why he didn't see the fast approaching vehicle (who again, is also at fault). I honestly have a hunch it's lack of awareness, but hey...you guys can disagree, that's fine.

As for the bike...

Limping home? Cool. Why isn't he using surface streets where your bike's speed (or lack thereof) won't get you killed? I can get to virtually any location in my city (which isn't that small) without using a single highway or interstate. Hell, I can get from Albany to Buffalo (5hrs) using side roads instead of I-90. It'll take me longer than 5 hours, but it can be done. Or I can do NY to FL mostly on RT. 9W. Side streets are always an option if your bike 'can't hang' on the highway. Even in Russia (I was born and lived in Ukraine which is basically the same thing).

Low on gas? You can still do a normal speed and maintain decent fuel economy to get you to the next gas station.

You guys can make fun of me, disagree with me, call me an idiot, etc....don't care. In my eyes, bike was slightly responsible for what transpired. Followed by the trucker who probably, again, only looked in his mirror and saw the Volvo - since the camera car was hiding behind it - but DIDN'T look again to see the camera car a few seconds later before actually changing lanes. The biggest culprit (and I'm sure we can all agree on this) is the driver of the camera car. I never defended him and my rant on page 2 or wherever it was isn't about THIS camera car, but cars/trucks in general that like to pull out in front of people for no apparent reason.

Anyway...agree to disagree. In my opinion, all three are at fault with the car being most at fault (for going way faster than the rest of traffic) and the trucker being the second most at fault (for not being aware).

Good day, folks. :waveysmilie:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
As for the bike...

Limping home? Cool. Why isn't he using surface streets where your bike's speed (or lack thereof) won't get you killed? I can get to virtually any location in my city (which isn't that small) without using a single highway or interstate. Hell, I can get from Albany to Buffalo (5hrs) using side roads instead of I-90. It'll take me longer than 5 hours, but it can be done. Or I can do NY to FL mostly on RT. 9W. Side streets are always an option if your bike 'can't hang' on the highway. Even in Russia (I was born and lived in Ukraine which is basically the same thing).
That really depends on location. I recall one instance when I encountered very high winds for the first time in the middle of bum fuck nowhere and ended up riding below speed limit on the highway out of fear. I probably got passed by a few big rigs. Didn't really have too many options there other than continuing on.

·
Registered
124 Posts
OK, I did the geeky thing an carefully watched the video. The video actually showed the time so I counted the white stripes at 49.52 and stopped it at 49.57. I assumed that the distance between stripes are the same standard as the US since I don't have the information for Russia. The imputed speed is between 87 - 93 miles per hour.

The argument has been who was at fault. Fault is defined as : responsibility for mistake: responsibility for a mistake, failure, or act of wrongdoing

If we break it down:

Bike Rider - Did he break the law? Perhaps he was travelling slow but was it illegal? In California if you go 10 miles below the speed limit you can get a ticket.

Truck Driver - It appeared that the truck driver moved into the left lane at the same time as the car. At least in basketball the truck established position...haha

Car Driver - ...travelling considerably faster than the normal flow of traffic , passing a car on the right, and passing on the side of the road. What I don't know was the speed limit.

Since the car experienced some property damage and we're trying to establish fault in the scenario that the truck driver and bike rider are partially at fault, then they would be partially liable for damages. If I were the driver I would be embarrassed to stand in front of a judge and asked them to pay for any damages.

I don't think they did anything illegal. If anything they created a potential dangerous situation but an alert driver should be able to negotiate around those situations. There is no way that the driver was following the 4 second rule. If this happened in California, the highway speed limit is 70 mph. Going between 87 to 93 mph is boarderline reckless driving under perfect conditions.

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Truck Driver - It appeared that the truck driver moved into the left lane at the same time as the car. At least in basketball the truck established position...haha

I don't think they did anything illegal. If anything they created a potential dangerous situation but an alert driver should be able to negotiate around those situations.
LOL @ basketball position. Technically, he was moving to the left and didn't have his feet set...so...I'm going to call it a block. :p

I agree though. I'm not saying the trucker or biker did something illegal...only the car did that. BUT, what they did (which, after I watched the video a bunch of times, is up for debate as you can see the trucker seemingly yank the wheel at the 0:12 mark to avoid hitting the biker) can't be classified as normal driving in my opinion...which is why I keep saying over and over that everyone involved had something to do with this accident, not just the driver of the car. Not saying they broke laws, but they all played a role.

I thought the driver negotiated the situation quite well till he got spun around lol. His reaction to not kill the biker was exquisite lol.

·
Registered
958 Posts
But that is not the right message. The correct message is don't ride too fast. The slow bike rider could have been an old guy in a Prius, cow, big retread in the road, etc. The fast rider passed on the wrong side and was riding too fast. It was him that created the hazard. Speed is almost always a factor in accidents especially for new riders who often ride too fast for their capabilities.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The car accelerated at the rear of the trunk, then yanked lanes so hard that it was squealing rubber, as if the truck mysteriously came out of nowhere. Ilya is just trolling at this point, methinks. Everything was fine until Mr. No Brains cager came recklessly speeding through.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Honestly I don't think it matters if the motorcycle is in the wrong or not. What matters is he would be the one most likely to be killed.. That being said you should do what you have to do to keep yourself SAFE even if that means going above the speed limit.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
So, I jumped on the computer for the sole purpose to check out this .GIF, and holy cow. Avoiding the truck looked scary enough, and then you clear the truck, and get shot in the face with a biker with a passenger. I would of shit myself for sure. The driver was cool though to avoid them even though it looked like he damaged his ride, but saving lives is more important. However, he shouldn't of been speeding. I wonder what the rider thought to himself when he saw that missile of a vehicle fly past him.

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
The car accelerated at the rear of the trunk, then yanked lanes so hard that it was squealing rubber, as if the truck mysteriously came out of nowhere. Ilya is just trolling at this point, methinks. Everything was fine until Mr. No Brains cager came recklessly speeding through.
Definitely not trolling. I disagree with pretty much every other post in this thread, simple as that. :dry:

I've stated my case and reasoning, numerous times. If you disagree, that is your choice. Doesn't mean anything in the end. I just like to share my thoughts :D.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Again, this is like saying a homeowner is partially responsible for being shot if a burglar breaks into his home and shoots him.

Some things are subject to opinion and others are not.
Really this isn't.

The riders only mistake was operating a vehicle in Russia.

The 10 mile an hour under rule is pretty common, here in Ontario, you can drive 80KM/H on a 100KM/H highway.

Now I know this wasn't in Canada, but if it were, the law and the insurance company would have deemed the driver of the car 100% at fault.

If the motorcycle had been doing 10 over and the driver 30 over would the motorcyclist been partially at fault for not speeding enough?

If...IF and only IF the motorcyclist was doing significantly under the speed limit to a non legal degree, then he's partially at fault.

If he's within legal limits of the speed limit then he's not.

Flow of traffic isn't "how fast I want to drive", it's the speed of the vehicles ahead of you.

I don't know what the laws are in Russia regarding driver fault and responsibility, but I can't see any situation other than the motorcyclist driving illegally slow (a truck passing him isn't an indication, unless like Ontario, all large trucks are governed, and even then, they are governed slightly above the speed limit, so they can still pass vehicles that are only traveling the speed limit).

Had he been hit, the motorcyclist would have been a victim of criminal negligence (again assuming US/Canada, this is Russia so who knows), and not in the "oh I'm a victim poor me" sense that we like to use, but a serious and legitimate victim.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts