Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first sports bike and in the store the seat felt very comfortable. Now that I've ridden my bike a few hundred miles i'm starting to feel a lot of discomfort between my butt and my balls. sorry to be graphic. will this eventually go away?? my wife said to stop wearing jean and wear sweatpant or something similar which i'm going to start trying tomorrow. i was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar and if their are ergonomic designed seats that are available that can be recommended.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I get uncomfortable sometimes. I think I suffer from not having enough ass. Maybe try a different style of underwear. I'm guessing you'll get somewhat use to it. Others will probably have some good tips.

~mike

·
Registered
958 Posts
After a couple of hours of riding, my ass is definitely done with riding. It helps to stand up for a second or 3 at lights, but as soon as there are some aftermarket options, I'll probably look into replacing the stock unit.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I know exactly what your talking about, I get the same. I end up adjusting myself often when it gets like that...

Briefs rather than boxers helps a little, but in inevitable I think.

when corbin comes out with seats for the ninja, i wanna see if they can maek ine with a forward tilt a bit, i think that would help

·
Registered
958 Posts
Speaking of bicycles, look at the saddles on road bikes. You get used to a seat over time. I agree though the seat is pretty hard. I'd give it another month before doing anything expensive. They say the seat is narrower than the seat on the 250r, but the hardness seems the same. The 650r seat is a little more cushy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
my butt has not started hurting as of yet, longest ride has only been about 30 mins without rest, i will say tho, the size is so comfy for me, my old suzuki gs550e was so painful, my lower back would start screaming after 20 mins

·
Registered
80 Posts
yeah my butt hurts after more then maybe 45 mins of riding..it is bearable but really annoying, often when coming to a traffic light stop I have to get up on my feet and sort of stretch.
But the worst part for me while riding this bike is the strain on my wrists, especially the right one. I dont know is that due to the fact that I am fairly tall and have long arms and legs (187 cm) or am I just doing something wrong in regards to posture when Im riding :S Does anyone have a similar problem?

·
Registered
15 Posts
it hurt me the first time i rode the bike, but i dont feel any discomfort now. all i do is move from front to back, adjust my ass and manage myself.

·
Registered
958 Posts
But the worst part for me while riding this bike is the strain on my wrists, especially the right one. I dont know is that due to the fact that I am fairly tall and have long arms and legs (187 cm) or am I just doing something wrong in regards to posture when Im riding :S Does anyone have a similar problem?
The reason your wrists hurt is because your supporting your upper body on your hands. Your right hand hurts the most because in addition to supporting your upper body, you have the throttle and front brake to deal with also.

What you should be doing is squeezing the tank with your legs and supporting your upper body with your torso muscles. Your grip on the bars should be very light, it only takes the slightest input to the bars to get the bike to do what you want it to do, having a "death grip" on the bars will only tire you out and make the bike ride worse that it is designed too.

I used to have the same problem when I first started riding :D

·
Registered
618 Posts
I tend to use my arms wrong also. I know the right way but holding myself in a crouched position without my arms is uncomfortable so I switch from holding my with my arms to not over and over... And yes my butt hurts also.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The reason your wrists hurt is because your supporting your upper body on your hands. Your right hand hurts the most because in addition to supporting your upper body, you have the throttle and front brake to deal with also.

What you should be doing is squeezing the tank with your legs and supporting your upper body with your torso muscles. Your grip on the bars should be very light, it only takes the slightest input to the bars to get the bike to do what you want it to do, having a "death grip" on the bars will only tire you out and make the bike ride worse that it is designed too.

I used to have the same problem when I first started riding :D
Thanks for the advice man. I actually have tried to change the way I ride, as in not lean too much forward..but after a while I forget and can feel my wrists killing me again (I am positive this also has something to do with my height and the bike being smaller..its going to be interesting finding a bike when I decide to upgrade to something bit more powerful hehe)
I guess I will get use to the proper way of riding and therl bike in general after a while.

·
Registered
554 Posts
A more comfortable seat will help but even so as a sports bike the position isn't the most comfortable in the world. That is just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
nevermind my posterior... the first ride i took on it, i wasn't seated just properly yet and i hurt my groin (not severely just for the posture it wasn't exactly comfortable). needless to say, i re-adjusted quickly...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Thanks for the advice man. I actually have tried to change the way I ride, as in not lean too much forward..but after a while I forget and can feel my wrists killing me again (I am positive this also has something to do with my height and the bike being smaller..its going to be interesting finding a bike when I decide to upgrade to something bit more powerful hehe)
I guess I will get use to the proper way of riding and therl bike in general after a while.
It takes a little time to do it without thinking, but a little pain in the wrists is a quick reminder for me if I do it while riding. Also, if you plan on upgrading to a larger bike (ZX-10?) this habit will be even more important as most super sports have a much more aggressive stance (you'll be leaned even farther forward) so it's best to develop good habits now.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
After a ride on my lunch break I just realized its not really my butt that hurts, its really not the issue at all, its my inner thighs, its like the dig in to the edges of the seat..

·
Registered
958 Posts
The other problem with a hard seat combined with the stiff suspension is that it can cause you to bounce up off the seat when you hit a bump or pothole. I remember now how my 250r took bumps pretty bad compared to the 650r. If the 300 seat is close to the 250r, I too may want to replace the seat too. I would first try adjusting the rear suspension. They seem to be set up at the highest setting and if you are 155 lbs. like me, that is too stiff.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm 150 lbs, and ride road bicycles quite a bit. Took a while to get used to the seat on those (next to no padding) and I just wear regular briefs and shorts for 2 hour rides without issue now.

Anyone else like me STILL having problems with the 300 seat?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts