Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought a new engine for my 300, it was off a crashed bike, so I am not sure if the cam chain tensioner accidentally went up a notch when the bike crashed, or is this the normal sound of a 300 engine?
I originally posted this video about this question, plus the relay box buzzing for some reason(still not solved), but I do want to get confirmation that this whining sound from the camshaft gears on the camchain is normal, or does it sound like the chain is too tight?

thanks
https://reddit.com/link/w1bzhb/video/q9xv03tft5c91/player

· Registered
158 Posts
I’m at a doctors appointment so cant listen now but is it whining when you take off? I know mine does slightly and I believe it is caused by the straight cut gears in the transmission. Nothing wrong though I have had a few bikes that do that.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m at a doctors appointment so cant listen now but is it whining when you take off? I know mine does slightly and I believe it is caused by the straight cut gears in the transmission. Nothing wrong though I have had a few bikes that do that.
Definitely not the transmission, bike is not moving, and is in neutral. The sound comes from the engines top end.

· Registered
158 Posts
Yeah that doesn’t sound quite right to me either. I’m not sure what a cam chain sounds like when it is too tight but you may be on to something there. It doesn’t really resemble the “normal” whine that mine has. It kind of sounds like the chain noise you get from an electric chainsaw. Not sure if there is a way to verify that oil pressure is correct and oil is getting up to the cam? I know there are different tricks to do this on different bikes, never had a 300 apart though…

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that doesn’t sound quite right to me either. I’m not sure what a cam chain sounds like when it is too tight but you may be on to something there. It doesn’t really resemble the “normal” whine that mine has. It kind of sounds like the chain noise you get from an electric chainsaw. Not sure if there is a way to verify that oil pressure is correct and oil is getting up to the cam? I know there are different tricks to do this on different bikes, never had a 300 apart though…
I reset the CCT and the sound went away, that was it.
Now I just need to figure out why the relays are buzzing, and then I'm good to button it up and go for a spin!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts