Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been spending way too much time/money fixing my bike, so I've been thinking of getting a newer model. I read that the 300 can do up around 100mph, but how much does it struggle to get there?

Trying to figure out whether the 300 or the 650 would be better. I do a lot of touring, and would rather take the freeway out of NYC than local road.. so it's more a question whether the 300 has enough power to adjust speed comfortably without being a danger/hassle.

Also, side notes.. (1) is ABS really only available on the SE? Not looking forward to sanding down the whole bike. No offense to anyone who likes the colour scheme. And (2) is the seat really that bad? I generally try to do 5-8 hours in a day and from reading other threads the seat for the 300 sounds really uncomfortable.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Been spending way too much time/money fixing my bike, so I've been thinking of getting a newer model. I read that the 300 can do up around 100mph, but how much does it struggle to get there?

Trying to figure out whether the 300 or the 650 would be better. I do a lot of touring, and would rather take the freeway out of NYC than local road.. so it's more a question whether the 300 has enough power to adjust speed comfortably without being a danger/hassle.

Also, side notes.. (1) is ABS really only available on the SE? Not looking forward to sanding down the whole bike. No offense to anyone who likes the colour scheme. And (2) is the seat really that bad? I generally try to do 5-8 hours in a day and from reading other threads the seat for the 300 sounds really uncomfortable.
Im 90% sure you can have any color scheme with ABS
Talk to your dealer. All they have to do is mount the ABS unit. There is no reason for them not to do it.

As for the seat, no sportbike will provide comfort for 5-8 hours.
That being said, a sport touring bike might be more appropriate
Hope that helped :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Only the SE is available with ABS. It's more than just "mounting the unit". If you read the reviews and tech specs on the ABS, it has different pads, different calipers, and I'm sure the master cylinder has different valving. Mabe in the future they will offer different colors, but for now it's just the SE.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The ABS is only available on the SE.. The seat is not the best, but I am getting more use to it. I think I would like an aftermarket unit a little more possibly, when they become available.

Oh as for freeway speeds it does just fine.. Not had it to 100 myself but up to 70-80 is did just fine..

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
More specifically:
USA ABS: SE Green
Canada ABS: Ebony, SE Ebony/Metallic Moondust Gray
Australia ABS: Ebony, Stardust White, SE Green
UK ABS: Green, Ebony
UAE ABS: Stardust White, ???...
New Zealand ABS: not available

I believe that is accurate. Someone might comment on UAE and UK though

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Man, the US market is really unloved for ABS. I really gotta move back home.

Thanks guys.

Has anyone tried throwing handlebar risers and a gel seal on for touring? I'd look at sport touring, but the price for the 300 is great right in my range, and used ABS selection on CL has been dead so far. 300 also looks like it would be a lot of fun in the twisties. I can live with sanding down and repainting the bike.

·
Registered
301 Posts
That would make sense
In Canada the green SE is no abs
However i know I saw one with abs that was green
Didnt know usa green was se with abs

Canada colors are as follows

Regular: black, red, se green
Abs: moondust, black

No white

·
Registered
554 Posts
The 300 is enough for being on the freeway. It's got enough power to get to speed safely and pass. Are there freeways up there that allow you to get to 100mph?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Being able to pass without downshifting would be great, which it looks like it can do.

I'd buy in Canada while I'm home for Christmas and bring it down, but suspect it'd be even more trouble than sanding down and repainting.

That, and currency prices still don't seem reflected in MSRP..

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh yeah defiantly without downshifting, you go past 40 mph and your gonan be in 6'th all day long haha

But the 6'th gear has a really long range, goign 65 on the highway your at around 7k rpm's
It has PLENTY of passing power, but if your touring or doign longer trips its more comfy to geta larger bike, the added weights is nice with the wind, and the power is nice because your not cruising in top gear at the mid to upper end of your rpm range, so that means that you are riding easier,with less vibration.

but as stated above, long rides... go with a sport touring, dont skimp haha get something your going to be happy with, not whats cheap!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts

Lots of touring...get a 650R and a larger front or smaller rear sprocket to drop RPMs even more. The 650R is much better on the freeway (although the 300 does not struggle at all, the RPMs are just a lot higher)

For pure freeway riding after you drop a couple teeth in the rear the 650R will get about 55mpg highway and the 300 will be about the same

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 300 has no problem accelerating while already at freeway speeds. I use mine to commute in Orange County and can go from 70 to 85+ with ease for passing and without downshifting. The bike can handle downshifting too, though. Like ghost3772 said, you get into 6th gear pretty soon and it has a lot of room to play.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm actually a little disappointed with the way it picks up from 0 at the lights. Maybe it's just me and I might be taking it easy since it is still in the break in period but I feel like the 2nd gear doesn't pick up fast enough. :(

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I'm actually a little disappointed with the way it picks up from 0 at the lights. Maybe it's just me and I might be taking it easy since it is still in the break in period but I feel like the 2nd gear doesn't pick up fast enough. :(
Thats because your taking it to easy :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
The 650r will be more comfortable and have much better acceleration onto freeways. I think the riding position is a more comfortable too, but I've only sat on the 300 and don't own one. There is a tendency to want to go faster and get better acceleration as you probably know. If you are undecided about such things as acceleration and top speed, but have experience riding, the faster bike is usually better. The 300 would make a better first bike though. Look for that Kawasaki truck that comes around where you can ride bikes. I owned a 250r and rode the 650r on a test ride. That was the end of my 250r. The 650r is a beast, I tell you. A slightly too heavy beast, but a beast nevertheless. The 300 will get much better mileage though. To me the adv. of the 650r would be: riding position more upright, much more power and better acceleration in all gears, more comfortable seat, better stock sound. The advantage of the 300 to me are: safer for beginning rider, better mileage, lighter, a little less vibration, lower seat ht., cheaper. From your question though, I bet speed and acceleration are going to trump all other considerations for you. That's the allure of sport bikes. You'll go with the 650r.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts