Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends, i would like to know if i need to clean the chain of the motorcycle everytime i wash it. I just bought a kit to wash my moto so i dont know if i need to clean the chain too... My ninja only has 250 miles. Thanks ?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
No but I'd make sure to dry it well and probably relube. I just take it up and down my street to fling off the water and warm up the chain a bit, then lube it.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Technically...yes. But it's still your choice, and plenty of people don't. Sure, if it just gets a few drops you can ignore it. But if it gets drenched, lube it. You'll get used to it eventually. You might wanna check out this DIY I wrote on chain cleaning and lubrication, which touches on that exact topic.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Typically, I clean and lube my chain after every wash, and every fill up or so. I don't wash my bike that often, but in a typical season from April to October. I put on between 12,000-15,000 km (9000 miles) a season. Currently, I have almost 40,000km (25,000 miles) on my bike. It's a 2014, bought brand new in 2015.

I have replaced both sprockets and been through 2 chains so far.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Think of it like this. Proper chain maintenance is a major part of owning a motorcycle. As long as you are cleaning and lubing at the proper intervals you will be fine.

As for cleaning/lubing after every wash, I would not feel obligated to do that. But then again when I wash my bike I do not get any soap on the chain. Water is fine, think of it like driving your bike in the rain or after a rain. Are you gonna clean and lube your chain after every time it rains? I certainly don't.

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
Well, I use Maxima Chain Wax because it lasts longer than the oily lube. I reapply the wax about every 2000 miles. I've been doing it this way for years and have never had a problem. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
386 Posts
For me, lubing the chain goes independently from washing the bike, unless of course, you soak the chain when you wash the bike.
I lube the chain every 500 miles circa and right after every time I ride in the rain.
I don't soak the chain or any part of the bike when I wash it. I use wipes and spray cleaners.

·
Registered
109 Posts
For me, lubing the chain goes independently from washing the bike, unless of course, you soak the chain when you wash the bike.
I lube the chain every 500 miles circa and right after every time I ride in the rain.
I don't soak the chain or any part of the bike when I wash it. I use wipes and spray cleaners.

My routine exactly. I do not wash a bike like I would wash a car. A chain is cleaned and lubed and a motorcycle is cleaned without H20 IMHO.

Those chain waxes are sticky and they seem to attract and hold grit, wearing your o-rings and sprockets prematurely. It all collects on the inside of your primary gear cover. Check it out. :)

I clean my chain with brushes and motor oil. That's it. Good wiping in the end means good hygiene... :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ride daily and wash my bike once a week. I fully clean the chain and lube up every fortnight. Usually use Motul c1/c2, or Liqui Moly (whichever is on offer)
We have a rainy season here and I still ride daily but do chain maintenance every week in that season.
DID chains rust up pretty quick in the rain when not taken care off.

·
Registered
732 Posts
For sunshine CA riders than never see water or salted roads, and not a whole lot of dirt just miles of commuter pavement, I wonder how many literally never touch the chain and how long it lasts. Unrelated recent pic from reddit ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
The other issue with chains I just realized is they get surface rust from lack of use. I was unable to ride for almost 2 weeks, Rain and family. I went out to ride my precious and saw the surface rust on the chain sides.

Do you guys near salt water see increase of surface rust?
Problem by me is high humidity :(

I mean to pop a bike up on a paddock stand and WD-40 (Kerosene is hard to store by me just for cleaning purposes) it with a chain brush and apply a good O-ring lube takes all of 10-15 mins for such a light bike. And now that I have a good Paddock stand, its fun to do this (really it is) it lets me inspect and get closer to my bike.

Another question that maybe can be addressed? either wash, rain or wear, can you guys hear a difference / feel a difference when the chain might need to be cleaned and lubed. Or just visual inspection?

Thanks Forum Peeps and MiguelCruz for the thread.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I can’t say I see an increase in rust on the chain and I live in 100% humid climate, but I keep my chains fairly well lubed though.

Thanks to ‘80s hard rock and roll, I don’t hear real well now a days, so if I can hear the chain, it needs lube or inspecting to see if she’s done for. :wacko:

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
Another question that maybe can be addressed? either wash, rain or wear, can you guys hear a difference / feel a difference when the chain might need to be cleaned and lubed. Or just visual inspection?
I can definitely say I never feel a difference. I'm not sure about sound, though. I ride with a full face helmet and earplugs, plus my exhaust is a tad loud.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts