Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious but I wondered do all after market headers change color
as soon as they heat up?

I used a new Devil system for only two days & the header system which started out silver is already the same color as the old stock one that came off after 4000 km... gold/brown.

I was just curious if all headers go this color that soon?
I know I have seen many Yosh headers in that looked chrome/silver color in pics or were they just new?

Also metal being titanium could matter with quick discolor? Versus what some others may be running.

Not important but was just curious & interested to hear about others.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Stainless steel will turn from silver to a straw/gold/yellow colour after heating. If the stainless starts turning a blue/purple colour, the exhaust is getting too hot, either from a too thin material being used or from a lean running condition. Ideally you should get some blue/purple colouring at your first bends in your header right up the top near the head as this is the hot point in the system, leading into a golden colour for the rest of the header and then back to silver again usually somewhere near or just past the collector.

Titanium is pretty similar with colouring and heat, although lighter and titanium will discolour quicker than stainless usually due to the thinner material used as it is around 40% stronger than steel, therefore thinner material can be used in place.

Nothing to worry about though thats for sure, I would say most of the pics you have seen are after initial install, and lately myself I have a hard time trying to photograph the exhaust, the golden colour just doesnt come through on photos as they do in person.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Jeff that was an explanation of the color change

The slight bluing I have it right at the bend at the exhaust port attach point.
So correct as you say

Interesting & makes perfect sense about Titanium's reaction too!
Thanks

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Thank You Jeff that was an explanation of the color change

The slight bluing I have it right at the bend at the exhaust port attach point.
So correct as you say

Interesting & makes perfect sense about Titanium's reaction too!
Thanks
Yep the hottest part of your system will be right at the first bend upon exit of exhaust so that sounds all A ok to me. Nothing to worry bout at all mate!!! The titanium may blue further down in time due to the reduced thickness that the pipe will be compared to stainless, but again that is pretty normal and nothing to worry about at all.

Good stuff with the titanium exhaust too!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts