Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I snagged a very good deal on a pair of EBC FA197HH pads (great reviews!) on eBay so here's a HOWTO on replacing your Ninja 300 brake pads:

1. Gather your tools. You're going to need a 12mm socket, 5mm Allen/hex key, Threadlock (blue) and torque wrench.

2. Loosen the pad pins (pink) and remove the mounting bolts (green).

3. Pull the pad pins out and remove the brake pads.

4. Insert the new pads, piston side first, then push the caliper pistons in by hand as far as they will go.

5. Insert the pad pins, apply a drop of locking agent and tighten to 12.7 ft·lbs.

6. Reinstall mounting bolts. Apply locking agent and tighten to 18 ft·lbs.

Same exact process for the rear calipers, even the brake pads are the same!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm doing all of this maintenance myself & I'm a little sketched out.. (sorry to revive an old thread). I'm changing tires & decided to swap break pads while I'm @ it. I have an old Craftsmen 3/8in torque wrench & I don't trust it. Also, I can't really torque hex bolts. I've already removed my front tire, so there's no going back. One question that I have is, can I use the same caliper if I swap my pads? My bike has 2k miles on it & also, how do you push the piston back in? Is it like a car & can I use a C-Clamp?

·
Registered
159 Posts
It is a good idea torque hex bolts, you need a 3/8 drive and a 3/8 torque wrench. Just make sure you don't over tighten them cause they are a pain to get out then. The caliper pistons are so small you can squeeze the piston in with your hand, or you can use channel lock pliers and gently push it in slowly. You don't need to change calipers, just make sure the pads are the right ones for the bike. Once you have the caliper unbolted you put the new pads in and slide the two pins in to hold the pads in place and bolt the caliper back onto the fork and your done. Don't forget to squeeze the brake lever a few times before riding, to get the piston tight on the new pads. It will take a few quick stops with the new pads to "bed" them in before you will get the best braking performance.

·
Registered
425 Posts
How about lube for the pins or grease on the backs of the pads? (I never really understood the need for grease on the backs of the pads.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can you see you changed the front brakes. is this with abs on the bike? and have you changed the back brakes?

·
Registered
19 Posts
what on earth, i boughtt these same pads and they are not nearly as thick as they are in the #4 picture.
Should I take these suckers back?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts