Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent hours researching what bike to get (settled on ABS SE Ninja 300), I even phoned Costco's auto program to confirm a price.
I have all my gear in the shopping cart at RevZilla.
Insurance rates are checked, and Go Pro ordered from Amazon.
Signed up for MSF course. Planned to take written exam next week. And watched several videos of the DMV motorcycle exam.

Then I saw this:

Now...I am in VERY serious doubt. Yes, I knew of the dangers of riding, but seeing that video...

Ironic first post, but now I'm at 50/50 on purchasing a motorcycle. Can anyone sway me one way or another?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Riding a motorcycle is of course dangerous, we all know that. I recommend taking the MSF course, see how you like it...then decide if you want to go ahead and get your license and a motorcycle. I personally make sure you tell my family I love them every time I leave the house to get on my bike. I have taken out extra life insurance and doubled my medical coverage simply because I ride a motorcycle. I'm aware of the risks and I make sure to be in full gear, all the time. I'd rather sweat then bleed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So...what kind of gear would you recommend to prevent the above from happening to me?
Would a 2 piece racing suit/boots/gloves/helmet prevent such injuries?

I was initially doubting the efficacy of racing pants (can't wear that to work lol), but I guess changing at work everyday is worth it...

·
Registered
805 Posts
As mitchy said its dangerous no matter what but there always ways to limit the danger. ATGATT for one theres a reason you see many seasoned racers get up after crashes at speeds 140mph+. Ive lost family and friends to motorcycle accidents its hard to accept but its a reality thats always there. Be attentive and take the protection seriously. My cousin for one would still be here today if he bought a helmet for safety and not for looks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks, this reaffirms my significant investment in protective gear.
I'll go forward with ATGATT from now on. NO SHORTCUTS!

I didn't really want to give up the bike anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apologize for not mentioning this sooner, but I am deeply sorry for the loss of your cousin, however don't all motorcycle helmets have to pass certain regulations (even stylish ones)?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ok thanks, this reaffirms my significant investment in protective gear.
I'll go forward with ATGATT from now on. NO SHORTCUTS!

I didn't really want to give up the bike anyway.
Good! You might get a few people giving you shit about it but dont let it get to you. A couple of weeks ago my other cousin(who is a harley rider) said to me "nice leather suit you little girl" to which I replied "funny say what you want cause when you lowsided you didnt walk for 3 months when I lowsided I got up picked up my bike and rode home". Needless to say he shut up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Gear is critical, probably more critical then the bike itself. Do some research and find the best gear for you. There is nothing that will beat a 1 peace leather suit from a reputable company like A stars, dainese, etc.

However if your looking for comfort, protection, and ease of use than a suit like the roadcrafter would be perfect. Goes on in 15 sec, waterproof, CE protection, and visibility for a decent price.

Look at what you want to do with your motorcycling experience and determine your gear base on that. But as someone mentioned it, ATTGAT and proper training an continued education will be your best bet to mitigate your chances of getting hurt.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking of getting this
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-carver-2-piece-race-suit

and

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-switchback-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-airglide-3-over-pants

Overkill?

Roadcrafter looks nice, it may be better than olympia...

My primary uses for the Ninja would be getting from work to home vice versa. Also participate in group meet ups and mountain riding on the weekends. I just want to feel the wind against my body, hear the revs, record rides with Go Pro, and in general just enjoy the hell out of motorcycling and move on to faster bikes. I plan on the BMW s1000rr as my next bike in 3-4 years or so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The poor acting in Twist of the Wrist made me want to rip my eyeballs out.

It's full of great info though, so I guess I shouldn't be bitching about it.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I would never try to convince someone to ride a motorcycle. I know a number of motorcycle riders that should sell their bike and never swing a leg over another one. If you are second guessing yourself before you actually ride one you might be in the never ride a motorcycle category.
There is no riding gear that will keep you from being killed in an accident if that accident has your name written on it. Training will help you a lot but even professional motorcycle riders have lost their lives when they least expected it. Riding a motorcycle is a calculated risk and gear and training will only reduce the risk that you will be subjected to.
Some time in your motorcycle experience you will be "tested". You may be to blame or another will initiate the "testing" experience. If you are lucky this "testing" will happen after you have some skills to deal with it and you are properly geared up for the event. If you are unlucky you will be "tested" on the way home from the motorcycle dealer on your newly purchased bike with no safety gear.
Many riders tell me that a rider decides that he will be a long time motorcycle rider the day that he buys his first bike. I do not believe that that is true. I believe that you decide to be a long time motorcycle rider the first time that you pick yourself off the ground and get back on the bike. I have known lot's of first time riders that gave up riding after their first accident. They told me that they had not realized how dangerous riding a motorcycle could be.
Every rider can become complacent and I am no exception. When I feel that I am becoming invincible I take a look at the ground and ask myself what it would feel like if I jumped off the bike and landed on the hot, unforgiving asphalt?
Riding motorcycles is not for sissies and it is not for everyone. Gear, training, and attitude will go a long way to prepare you for a long and uneventful life of motorcycling.
I hope that you will join us but I hope that some of the things that I have said might give you some insight and give you enough information so you can make an intelligent and informed decision. Good luck.

·
Registered
805 Posts

and

Overkill?

My primary uses for the Ninja would be getting from work to home vice versa. Also participate in group meet ups and mountain riding on the weekends. I just want to feel the wind against my body, hear the revs, record rides with Go Pro, and in general just enjoy the hell out of motorcycling and move on to faster bikes. I plan on the BMW s1000rr as my next bike in 3-4 years or so.
Def not over kill I go out in a one piece race suit, race boots, race gloves, and a DOT and SNELL approved helmet. Even if its too the store you just NEVER know. I recall a post 3 or so months ago where someone posted about how they went a block from their house and they lowsided and got banged up pretty bad. Actually theres a FEW posts like that I remember reading on here.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't know where you live, but if you want maximum protection gear then you want leather over textile. You can of course wear anything you feel comfortable in, it's just a tradeoff and a tough decision we all must make between max protection and comfort.

I wear mesh/textile in Arizona during the summer, but I plan on going with some perforated leather for the fall/winter/spring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would never try to convince someone to ride a motorcycle. I know a number of motorcycle riders that should sell their bike and never swing a leg over another one. If you are second guessing yourself before you actually ride one you might be in the never ride a motorcycle category.
There is no riding gear that will keep you from being killed in an accident if that accident has your name written on it. Training will help you a lot but even professional motorcycle riders have lost their lives when they least expected it. Riding a motorcycle is a calculated risk and gear and training will only reduce the risk that you will be subjected to.
Some time in your motorcycle experience you will be "tested". You may be to blame or another will initiate the "testing" experience. If you are lucky this "testing" will happen after you have some skills to deal with it and you are properly geared up for the event. If you are unlucky you will be "tested" on the way home from the motorcycle dealer on your newly purchased bike with no safety gear.
Many riders tell me that a rider decides that he will be a long time motorcycle rider the day that he buys his first bike. I do not believe that that is true. I believe that you decide to be a long time motorcycle rider the first time that you pick yourself off the ground and get back on the bike. I have know lot's of first time riders that gave up riding after their first accident. They told me that they had not realized how dangerous riding a motorcycle could be.
Every rider can become complacent and I am no exception. When I feel that I am becoming invincible I take a look at the ground and ask myself what it would feel like if I jumped off the bike and landed on the hot, unforgiving asphalt?
Riding motorcycles is not for sissies and it is not for everyone. Gear, training, and attitude will go a long way to prepare you for a long and uneventful life of motorcycling.
I hope that you will join us but I hope that some of the things that I have said might give you some insight and give you enough information so you can make an intelligent and informed decision. Good luck.
Yes...well put. I have a burning desire to ride, and will learn as much as I can to prepare myself for the first test. I'll be sure to post here when it happens. You've given me a lot to think about.

·
Registered
391 Posts

and

Overkill?

Those choices are fine, specially the two piece suit looks really nice. Whatever it is, make sure it's something you will wear all the time for every circumstance.

As far as the S1000RR, I have one of those and it's an incredible machine. But I guess I've gotten to the point where I don't need that much, so I "downgraded" to the 300.

My opinion on upgrading is to try everything that motorcycling had to offer and base your buying a motorcycle on that. Currently I'm into Motorcycle gymkhana cause its just amazing what they can do with bikes and cones.

Reactions: stryker

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know where you live, but if you want maximum protection gear then you want leather over textile. You can of course wear anything you feel comfortable in, it's just a tradeoff and a tough decision we all must make between max protection and comfort.

I wear mesh/textile in Arizona during the summer, but I plan on going with some perforated leather for the fall/winter/spring.
I'm currently chillin' in Pasadena. Watching riders lane split made me envious, and I can't wait to try it out.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts