Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just so happened to be in my cage today while traveling on a two lane highway. I usually take the bike. I noticed the cars ahead of me were slowing down and ALL of them were turning right. Hmmm.... as I approached the area, I noticed a fire truck taking up both lanes (turned sideways) and a flag man directing traffic. I followed all the others (as this was the only way to go). Two GSXRs passed me going in the opposite direction (I gave them the peace sign without thinking). Then, I quickly realized the road went from pavement to dirt road with crushed gravel about 200 yards in. My first thought was, "aww man, I just washed my car" then it hit me, those two bikes had to go through here! I'm not sure how I would have felt. Today, I'm glad I was in my car. Would you have gone through it on your bike? It goes on for 2 miles! 1365699685266.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
To many ppl only practice in parking lots but the fact is you really need to practice riding in all conditions of your area as you never know what may happen.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
It wasnt these guys was it ??

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Just be smooth and steady on the controls and try to limit front braking when in thick gravel and rear braking on the dirt. Requires you to be more alert and take everything much slower than you would normally on the road. Greatly increase your stopping and following distances and just stay nice and loose on the controls. The bike will do a lot of wandering and you gotta make sure you aren't fighting it tooth and nail. Used to have a 1/4 mile of really sandy and dirty washed out road to reach my apartment complex and if you tense up, it really makes everything worse.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mind you, the picture does this road no justice. It's very fine, almost sand consistency throughout most of it. None of it is packed, either. Kinda like the beach sand in Destin, Florida. Just sprinkle some crush-and-run over it. I would have done it. The people behind me would have been pissed because I would have gone so slow, but they'd get over it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
257 Posts
BaronVonGrumble has done it so you don't have to.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just be smooth and steady on the controls and try to limit front braking when in thick gravel and rear braking on the dirt. Requires you to be more alert and take everything much slower than you would normally on the road. Greatly increase your stopping and following distances and just stay nice and loose on the controls. The bike will do a lot of wandering and you gotta make sure you aren't fighting it tooth and nail. Used to have a 1/4 mile of really sandy and dirty washed out road to reach my apartment complex and if you tense up, it really makes everything worse.
more or less this; that gravel entry was no joke and it was about a mile long (longer if you had to park waaaaaaaayyyy out in kansas)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts