Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've between thinking a, bit about this. With some scooters having 600cc motors and some motorcycles having automatic transmissions, the line between the two is becoming blurred. What are some other things to help differentiate the two, especially on the road? There have been times on the road where I've been confused by which type was approaching and I either wave or not wave as the case may be.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
923 Posts
Tire size! One must consider tire size. No respectable motorcyclist would take two tires from their electric Big Wheel, strap them to their bike and proceed to do 50 mph. Scooter"ists"? However, are bad a$$ like that, apparently.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ride what stirs your soul...If you see it and freak out, then you rid it, whether it's a scooter, a Harley or a REAL motorcycle (just kiddin').....The point is, if something you've seen or ridden REALLY gets you off, then ride it!

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Differences of the rider -> Usually not wearing the same apparel as a sport biker or harley rider. Their sitting position is of a person taking a dump while holding handlebars.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Differences of the rider -> Usually not wearing the same apparel as a sport biker or harley rider. Their sitting position is of a person tanking a dump while holding handlebars.
This something new or a typo ????? Tanking seems so much more painful than taking...:eek:

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
This something new or a typo ????? Tanking seems so much more painful than taking...:eek:
Fixed. When I first get to work, my officers like to talk to me while I do very important things, like post on the forums and ignore them. Haha.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well I own both a bike and a scooter, and i'd say, although some bikes are automatic, I dont think its the same system as on the scooters, so it gives it a lil different feel at that point, the auto bikes normally still uses gears, but auto shifts them like a car, scooters use cvt transmissions most of the time, they act differently.

Also another note would be the plastics and body work, as well as seating position, scooters always have a recessed foot well, and on a bike you always have to straddle the bike. frame and plastics are a big difference in design and style. neither i would say is a better design, just different.

Bikes usually dont have alot of storage.. and on scooters there is always ample storage, under the seat and in the dash. most bikes only have options like side bags, and maybe a tiny dash pocket on big goldwings. but its more standard on the scooters.

Fun factor is debatable, thats all personal preference and what your doing. scooters are wayyyyyyyyy more nimble than sport bikes, but you cant leans as far. if thats your thing, so your not gonan track scooters.. although alot of people do...

tire size.. scooter have smaller tires.. yes.. but they work very well lol bigger tires are better at higher speeds, but bigger scooters have bigger tires. you dont need HUGE tires for highway, some say motercycle tires are overkill even for highway. opinions aside, they both work for what they are intended lol smaller scooters, are good for around town, larger ones can do both around town and highway. motercyckes, they can do both. storage and ease of use are two big things that facotr most peopels buying decision. trips to the grocery store get easier with a scooter.

theres a lot more differences but thats all I have time for atm lol

I like em both, i never get bored of either, my scooter or my bike.
I use my bike for highway stuff mostly and my scooter for around town. just bc my scooter is a 150cc scooter and is not too confident on the highway.. it can do it lol but i dont like it... i've upgraded the engine with an big bore kit among other bods lol we wills ee.. its almost done!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I find scooters tend to scrape the ground before a a motorcycle will due to the floor boards being so wide for your feet. This does discourage scooter riders from making extreme turns, but it isn't an excuse not to wear proper gear either... Scooters riders, like horseback riders, don't seem to be aware of the real world dangers out there.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
^Give it a turbo and rims that just keep spinning spinning spinning.

·
Registered
118 Posts
They lent me a scooter once when my bike was in the shop for a recall. Some of the best fun I've had on two wheels. You cook a couple of Harleys in a turn and watch their faces as you go by....Priceless!!!!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rofl such comical responses in this thread lol.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
865 Posts
i wouldnt say all scooter riders are like that. thats really the individual.. i mean... there are retards on motorcycles, and scooter alike.. cant really say one has more stupidity than other.

I would say, the ones that only for 25 mph... the little 50cc scooters.. those people generally dont pay attention as much, bc they arent motorcyclists.. they are car drivers who got a cheap scooter to get around and save gas, they dont even drive on the road much bc they cant make the speed limit.. so you see em on the side of the road.

however again, its really the individual.

also, yeah, scooters scrape more, but so do cruisers. there shoudl never be a need to scrape pegs at all unless for the fun of it. not the floorboards on a scooter... you never have to turn that sharp that quick.. UNLESS for fun haha

·
Registered
958 Posts
A scooter is more like a big skateboard with 2 medium size wheels. You can step-thru a scooter as apposed to swinging a leg over a motorcycle. I know they have 2 wheels too, but they seem like very different designs to me. And I've never had anyone on a scooter wave at me :( I guess the leather racing suit intimidates them ;)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yeaa, The lack of gear on motorcycles is of concern too :(

Well the time I have scraped the floor boards on a scooter was when I made a u-turn on a two lane road with a passenger. Was totally unintentional, but it was the only way i could have made the turn heh heh

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I wave at just about everyone, if you on two wheels your good in my book regardless what it is..

As for the 50cc's I has a Honda Ruckus.. That thing was the most fun bike I have ever owned.. Could do just about anything it it and was not scared about breaking it, on or off road :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
^^^^^^ yeah! haha scooters are tough lil machines especially the honda ruckus! those things barly have plastic haha

·
Registered
733 Posts
This might be a little off from the op but what about the can am spyder? Do any of you think these should be in the same catagory as a bike. You don't even need to have a M1 to drive them. With a scooter you need an M2 at least.

·
Registered
958 Posts
This might be a little off from the op but what about the can am spyder? Do any of you think these should be in the same catagory as a bike. You don't even need to have a M1 to drive them. With a scooter you need an M2 at least.
I don't personally put them in the bike category, their more like a backwards trike. I also don't think they require much skill to ride, which is probably why I don't think much of them. :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts