Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its not a 300, but I missed you guys

Had my bike apart for the better part of a week.
Lowered front and back 1.25"
Painted the wheels (dark silver, color matched lip)
Painted the brakes (gold)
New brake light (star signal DLX3)
New tires (Michelin Pilot Power 3)

I work part time installing emergency vehicle equipment,
This is a light used for perimeter lighting on police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, public works.... Whatever, needless to say, their bright

Here's it on, pointed eye level of a following car, to get attention.
It's programmed to "steady burn" on the brake, but has around 40 patterns it could flash.

Im happy with it, I've read lowering it makes the handling suffer, while this may be true, I feel it could only be noticed on the track. It would still out-do what I'm willing too on public streets.
Possibly due to the tires, the turn in is now almost effortless. Honestly it feels like a 600.
Much more effortless than before.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Looks great. Does look really low though. Are you short? But on the bright side, your drag strip hole shot launches probably rock now. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm interested to know about the height issue as well. 1.25" - what's your height and didn't you have to swap out the kick stand? Because it seems like you still got the stock one on the bike. What year is it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm interested to know about the height issue as well. 1.25" - what's your height and didn't you have to swap out the kick stand? Because it seems like you still got the stock one on the bike. What year is it?
I'm 5'10"ish, but I like the feel of a low bike. Feels more manageable to me.
I know in a track setting the low height has adverse effects on handling.
But I went for a spirited ride today, and it out handled what I'm willing to throw at it on the street.
(Felt better than before, but I went from worn out tires, to brand new PP3s)

The kick stand is going to be shortened, hopefully this weekend if the rain holds off. It works as-is now, but I have to be careful how and where I park it.

Oh... And it's an 09'

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Interested in that really bright perimeter light. Where can we buy it?
not sure, where I work part time (DC Communications, in Elizabethtown Ky) we're dealers for StarSignal.
Ill search the interwebs and come back with a link

EDIT;
heres the link
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.aspx/productId/12147/Star-Signal-Vehicle-Products-DLX3-Starburst-LED-Auxiliary-Light-Direct-Wire/

I didn't know they where that expensive online. I think we sell them for around $50 (I got mine for $35)
they are also offered in a 4(leds) and 6(leds) configuration, but lately we have sent a few of the 6's back for condensation collecting in the lighthead (Star has addressed and corrected the issue, these where from an old batch we got around 6 months back, all of the DLX3 and DLX4 have been fine)

also, there isn't really a big difference in light output between the 3/4/6, but different options as far as patterns, and flashing capabilities (not something to worry about for this style install)
speaking of flashing;
I have mine set to "steady burn" so it does not flash (this is done by holding the pattern change wire (green) to ground for 18seconds, or the "6th flash", the instructions are not very clear on this feature, but after installing hundreds of these, ive gotten them pretty well figured out.)
however if you did want them to flash (assuming legal in your state/region, their are nearly 40 patterns available

·
Registered
417 Posts
Makes me feel better about thinking of lowering a bike. I have intentions of upgrading in the future. 5'6 and tho there are people much shorter than i am in taller bikes, i like the feel of being able to do more than tippy toes on a bike. Rode a cbr 600, didn't like the height.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes me feel better about thinking of lowering a bike. I have intentions of upgrading in the future. 5'6 and tho there are people much shorter than i am in taller bikes, i like the feel of being able to do more than tippy toes on a bike. Rode a cbr 600, didn't like the height.
Mines low for a liter bike, and I have no complaints with performance.

My girlfriend is little, like 5'3" and it's at her hip

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm 5'6'' with a 30 inch inseam. On the 300, I'm on the balls of my feet with both feet down. I'm kind of scared at the fact that I may not be able to foot a 600, let alone a liter bike. Heck, I'm scared to even try to sit on a 600 at the dealership because I don't want to be that dude who tried to jump on a brand new bike, couldn't get his feet down, and dominoe'd a whole row of new bikes. Ha!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm 5'6'' with a 30 inch inseam. On the 300, I'm on the balls of my feet with both feet down. I'm kind of scared at the fact that I may not be able to foot a 600, let alone a liter bike. Heck, I'm scared to even try to sit on a 600 at the dealership because I don't want to be that dude who tried to jump on a brand new bike, couldn't get his feet down, and dominoe'd a whole row of new bikes. Ha!
Hi 5 on the short status.

However you can still tip toe on the bigger bikes, besides, after riding for a while, you should learn to straddle the bike with 1 foot on the ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts