Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just wanted to see if this is normal. Perhaps a got a bad batch of keys and it's defective. All of the silver coating is flaking off of my key and exposing a yellow'ey colour underneath. Please look at the attached image. The bike had about 2500km's on it, and the key had been in and out of the bike probably at least 500 times. I do not use my key for prying or scraping or anything, as I have a dedicated pry bar on my keys.

Please let me know if your key is flaking like mine is, or still looks new?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,653 Posts
Mine looks like it did when I bought the bike back in 2013 and I have been known to use it to cut through packing tape if it's closer than a utility knife. I don't think the color change will degrade your key, but if you're concerned, you can always buy another one from your dealer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine looks like it did when I bought the bike back in 2013 and I have been known to use it to cut through packing tape if it's closer than a utility knife. I don't think the color change will degrade your key, but if you're concerned, you can always buy another one from your dealer.

I'm just a little distraught because the bike is not even two months old and it looks like the key has been through the ringer. I don't even keep it with other keys, so it's not like other keys would be scratching the finish off. I'm thinking I will send the service manager an email from my dealer, and see if they are willing to cut me up another one under warranty.

I did however want to check with all you guys to see if this is commonplace or not. I don't want to waste his time busting his chops to cut me a new key if everyone's key looks like this. However, if my key is one of the only few to malfunction like this, I will certainly be going after a replacement.

I should also add it has not been exposed to anything corrosive either (such as salt water etc etc).

·
Registered
473 Posts
Most keys are brass with a thin chrome coat applied this makes it easier for cutting keys for longer cutter life. If you think about the thousands of Kawi key blanks out there, Kawi I sure has sourced from different places. And I am sure quality control is different.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It's just the nickel coating flaking off. The brass is coating using electrolysis and it's not uncommon to have a batch where the acid may have been slightly off. The exposed brass will be perfectly fine and that nickel-chromium plating is primarily done to make things look pretty since brass can discolor a bit when it oxidizes and patinas which isn't as nice as that shiny metallic finish. So long as the rest of the key is structurally sound and the teeth look good, don't worry about it. At worst, you can easily order another blank and get it cut and replaced for pretty cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts