Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I bought a Stardust White Ninja 300 about four weeks ago from a local dealership. I will withhold naming them until they have had a chance to rectify this situation. Here is what happened:

Bike has 420 miles on it. It was completely flawless, not a scratch on the bike. This is how I like to keep all my things. Brought it to the service department of the same dealership I purchased the bike from. Their only job was to install new tires on the bike, which I also purchased from them (Diablo Rossa II's).

I drop the bike off, they tell me it will be about an hour and a half. I go to the shopping mall near the dealership, and arrive back about an hour and a half later. I go to pay for the install, and the guy tells me he has some "bad news". I take a deep breath and he tells me they dropped my bike on accident while taking it off their elevated bike stand (probably called something else, I can't remember). Apparently the bike tech tripped over himself and let go of the bike, allowing it to fall from the ramp on the stand.

As soon as he tells me this I quickly walk over to the bike (they were washing it at this stage) and confirm the damage. Scratches all over one side of the bike, fairings, brake levers, pegs, etc. It appears they had already tried sanding down some of the scratches so that it didn't look "as bad".

At this point I am feeling like I am about to go into a rage. Here is my brand new bike, that I paid full MSRP for, dropped by the same company I bought it from, before it even broke 500 miles. I do not like to own dropped bikes, which I why I chose to buy a brand new bike.

Their knee jerk reaction is to say "don't worry we will order all the damaged parts and replace them." This is not acceptable to me. I bought and paid for a brand new bike from them not a month earlier, and do not feel I should be the one in a position to explain to the next owner why and how it was dropped. I sat down with their service manager in his office and explained that I expect a full replacement of the bike, and they can keep their dropped bike. He said he can't make that decision, and the GM who can is at a bike show until Tuesday.

So, I am now left waiting until Tuesday to hear what they are going to do. I *do not want* this dropped bike, as I do not feel that is what I paid for. Also, since it was dropped from an elevated height, who KNOWS what else was damaged or bent, (handlebars? frame? engine?). I left the bike at the service garage, and told them at this point I no longer consider it my bike.

Does anyone have any advice for me? This situation absolutely sucks, and I feel like I am going to get screwed one way or another.

Thanks

· Registered
1,592 Posts
That really sucks to hear. I hope things work out for you, but I doubt they'll give you a direct replacement. Maybe get insurance involved? Only thing I see them doing, is replacing the damaged parts.

· Banned
1,132 Posts
That sucks. I don't see them replacing the bike with a new one as I think them fixing the broken stuff is all they need to do. Buy law they ned to fix what they broke no more then that. Its just like if you got in a crash the insurance is not going to give you a new bike if they can fix it. As far as telling the next owner if every part that was harmed in the drop is fixed then nothing will be wrong with the bike and it will be like it never took place.

· I ♥ Borat In A Thong
1,183 Posts
I would have them replace the entire bike. Internally the bike could be damaged and LOOK good on the outside. What if you're riding down the road goin 60 and it falls apart on you because it was actually damaged, you go flying off your bike and hit by a car, etc.? The dealership gunna give you brand new skin/limbs/bones/nerves? Unless you signed some paperwork PRIOR to your bike being worked on stating that if the dealership were to cause harm that they would NOT be liable, I WOULD SEEK LEGAL ADVICE. EVEN if you DID sign paperwork first, I would still speak to a lawyer to see if they can go around that. Plus they need to compensate you for the time you don't get to ride your bike while it is being repaired or while you wait for your new bike.

· Registered
2,942 Posts
I think you need to be talking to the dealers insurance company, not the dealer.. Just get their info..

But in the long term, I think there is not much you can do.. As they are only responsible to fix the damaged parts..If you get a lawyer its going to cost you more than the bike is worth..

Though spot to be in, thats for sure!

· Registered
562 Posts
Before calling a lawyer or anything that might end up costing you money and time one way or the other, ask the dealer what they're going to do to make this right. Tell them explicitly that simply fixing the damage they caused isn't sufficient and why.

· Registered
23 Posts
Wow that is awful, awful stuff. Good job not having a total meltdown right there in the dealer... The fact that they were already buffing out damage is seriously shady.

I'd wait on the lawyer until you hear from the higher ups at the dealership, like someone else said that will cost you possibly more than the bike itself... I wouldn't take anything less than a full replacement bike or compensation period though... they HAVE to be insured, fight for full compensation!!

· Registered
1,001 Posts
I would not want the bike back...
i'm a bitch when need be, and this would be one of those moments.

So sorry you had to go through this.
Keep us updated.

· Registered
595 Posts
a fender bender is slightly different than dropping a bike from a height. I would talk to the GM tell him your concerns and then take it from there. No need to get pissed off, theres always lawyers after that.

I would be concerned about the drop from a height, who know what has bent internally. As with any accident ask for their insurance company and maybe have the bike taken to a third party for a full inspection at the dealers cost.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.