Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
I was looking into fabbing some billet bar risers (spacers for the stock risers) also called lowering kits, and found some really nice ones for 50-60 bucks on ebay but after pulling factory ones off and seeing that they dont clamp onto the top of the fork I came up with this and it works great.

First, I was not interested in lowering the bike, just trying to bring the bars a little closer to me.

I found that 3/8 is as far as you can raise the stock risers and keep the fork tube underneath while not raising the forks in the clamps/lowering the bike.

I went to ace and picked up some longer stainless steel bolts and some 3/8 thick collars and installed them. I was happy with how solid it felt so I pulled the bolts, put on some blue locktite and re installed them. The collars have set screws that you can run into the bolts after tightening them and if positioned correctly will eliminate any twist. cost was about 17$. Time was about a beer and a half. feels very solid and will still allow lowering/raising the forks if that was your intention. I also found 1/2 and 1" spacers that would work fine if you wanted to go higher and would allow for that much more lowering of the front by raising the forks. I like the way the bike sits and handles so I stuck with these so the risers would not be above the top of the fork

Attachments

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, I rode the bike to work last night, 120 mile round trip mostly between 60-75mph. Felt solid and and a slight bit less reach to the bars. Now if I can find a better seat I'll be happy.

Chad reed in 13!!!!!!

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Thanks bro, I wonder if I could get that under the stock seat cover if I just pull the staples and re staple it. I have not had the seat off yet but that may be the ticket.
remove the seat.take off the vinyl. trim the foam underneath down the same thickness as the gel pad so when the pad is on its the same height as stock.
restaple the stock vinyl down

this web site covers the basics, and this link shows the correct way to put the vinyl back on your seat

http://diymotorcycleseat.com/modify_4.htm

if you rip/tear the vinyl, grab this stuff off ebay and remake it

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380183785415?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

you want a staple gun with staples less then 10mm. any hardware shop should have them fairly inexpensive i would have thought

· Registered
201 Posts
I was looking into fabbing some billet bar risers (spacers for the stock risers) also called lowering kits, and found some really nice ones for 50-60 bucks on ebay but after pulling factory ones off and seeing that they dont clamp onto the top of the fork I came up with this and it works great.

First, I was not interested in lowering the bike, just trying to bring the bars a little closer to me.

I found that 3/8 is as far as you can raise the stock risers and keep the fork tube underneath while not raising the forks in the clamps/lowering the bike.

I went to ace and picked up some longer stainless steel bolts and some 3/8 thick collars and installed them. I was happy with how solid it felt so I pulled the bolts, put on some blue locktite and re installed them. The collars have set screws that you can run into the bolts after tightening them and if positioned correctly will eliminate any twist. cost was about 17$. Time was about a beer and a half. feels very solid and will still allow lowering/raising the forks if that was your intention. I also found 1/2 and 1" spacers that would work fine if you wanted to go higher and would allow for that much more lowering of the front by raising the forks. I like the way the bike sits and handles so I stuck with these so the risers would not be above the top of the fork
Any one know where I could find similar in Australia or what the original purpose of these collars is? Also what length and thread size of the new stainless steel bolts?

Is "Ace" an American hardware chain or something?

I am aware I can get proper bar risers on E bay but that takes the fun out of it.

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
why not use some steel or aluminium bar. you need to get is reasonably thick though. man see this is when i need a metal lathe damn it i could make the bastards myself.its my 40th next year & i heve been telling misses_cruisin for ages i want a lathe & a miller machine. i know what i want, this is it

www.sherline.com.au

i could make them for you piece of cake, you can do anything if you have the right tools. i got to get me a metal lathe. i have been wanting one for far too many years

· Registered
201 Posts
why not use some steel or aluminium bar. you need to get is reasonably thick though. man see this is when i need a metal lathe damn it i could make the bastards myself.its my 40th next year & i heve been telling misses_cruisin for ages i want a lathe & a miller machine. i know what i want, this is it

www.sherline.com.au

i could make them for you piece of cake, you can do anything if you have the right tools. i got to get me a metal lathe. i have been wanting one for far too many years
Check this out.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Lat...ltDomain_15&hash=item1c33265666#ht_5816wt_786

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.