Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home earlier from work (I've yet to get my 300, only a matter of weeks now) I was sitting in my car, slowly moving up to the light cause it was out. I look in my rear view mirror, and I see a bike (couldn't tell what make or model) is splitting up to the front.

So I move over a little to give him some room. As I do this, the taxi in front of me, is moving forward and scoots all the way to the center line, tires almost on the markers.

The rider, thankfully was going slow enough to where he could stop and walk past the asshole taxi driver.

I've never actually seen someone cut off a bike in person, aside from YouTube videos, and I was astonished, it's really just hard to comprehend his actions.

Anyone else have any stories of being cut off while splitting? Or cut off in general? Love to see some experiences.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ive seen people do that and theyve done it to me when im trying to get to the front. Theres alot of assholes out there so u have to be careful when u get ur bike. A couple weeks ago i was in traffic and just went through the middle all the way to the front in a two lane turn once the light turned green i went and was infront of both cars the guy on my right decides to be a asshole and punches goes through the side of the road hauling ass and almost hits me just so he could be infront . I flipped him off and went on my way hahaha

·
Registered
506 Posts
Assholes.

I haven't experienced that yet. Generally, people have been pretty good about giving me space when they see me. I've split past police and they don't car.

·
Registered
320 Posts
One of my buddies had some asshole decide to change lanes right before he passed by his car when he was going through the middle and slammed into the back door good thing he wasent going to fast or he woulda flown off the bike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just last week I had someone driving at me down the wrong side of the road, got out the way just in time, his bumper skimmed my boot
I was just bracing for impact. Felt like i just had my sh|t pushed in

·
Registered
958 Posts
While moving through stopped traffic a woman saw me coming and pulled just enough into the middle of the lane to keep me from getting by. Of course once traffic started moving I just pulled by her and gave the b*tch the one finger salute :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While moving through stopped traffic a woman saw me coming and pulled just enough into the middle of the lane to keep me from getting by. Of course once traffic started moving I just pulled by her and gave the b*tch the one finger salute :D
I was just so confused, because it was a TAXI, with a customer in the back seat..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah I've been cut of as well, in a huge traffic jam, with three lanes. Going in between the two on the right, guy in centre lane moves to cut off the gap, went behind him and up the other gap on his left which he made extra wide for me to get through haha. Didn't give him the finger, thought it would piss him off more if it looked like it didn't even phase me.

I don't get why they do it, they chose a car, we chose a bike. In traffic they have the radio, a comfy chair with a backrest, air conditioning etc, we have no such comforts but the tradeoff is our transport allows us to get to our destination earlier, and have more fun doing so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It happen once to me on the highway/freeway. Traffic was slow going around 40mph. A pickup truck and bus was side by side, so when there was a gap I speed up to slip through, but the pickup would swerve toward the bus and close the large gap. I thought it was an accident or he was avoiding something so when a safe size gap opened up I sped up again, but he does the same thing. Maybe an accident again I thought and give him the benefit of the doubt. I then wait for the gap to open for a at least 30secs then sped up to try to slip through again, but the bastard does it again and now I see him looking at me in his mirror smiling/laughing with his passenger.

After that I gunned it when there was a good amount of space to share in the opposite lane AND flipped that driver off. This happen on my old cbr600.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
you know, something i was thinking about the other day is they advertise central florida as being one of the more dangerous places to ride on the basis that 'people don't recognize motorcycles and we have as many as if not more than so cal" and that made me wonder 'well, if we have so many motorcycles here i would think that would make this place actually safer because more people have familiarity and knowledge of motorcycles as opposed to say, Fargo ND where they could be seen as a luxury item: rare and illusive."

not saying this has any bearing or relevance but i didn't want to create a specific thread just to post that...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not a bad idea to ride with a recording device in situations like these.

While cagers are not required to make room for the rider to lane split, selden was probably able to demonstrate clearly that the blocking was intentional n illegal.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I was cut of by 2 elder people here....had to apply my breaks pretty hard.
Was so flustered I went to hit my horn and missed it lol.

I wouldn't ever lane split, I think it makes people look like a jerk but that's just me.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Cutting someone off with intention to cause harm with your vehicle is assault with a deadly weapon. Unfortunately though, at 40 mph, you're at a speed where CHP doesn't consider lane splitting to be safe and legit. Never allows someone to purposely hit you with a truck or cut you off, but this would get both of you tagged by the cop. Although the truck would be getting the brown end of the crap stick. People have to realize that in CA, lane splitting and all other iterations of it is not illegal and to do anything to purposely cut a lane splitter off or attempt to hit a lane splitter will get the book thrown at you. CHP has it on their site that they will NOT tolerate this sort of behavior and some of my buddies on county motor have said that they were told that the judges are also serious about this as well and will be handing out max punishments for people caught attacking others with their vehicles.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
the problem with lane splitting is the vast majority of cage drivers have their eyes closed & think that mirrors on the car are optional extras & don't need to be used & thats when riders get hurt

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Ive seen people do that and theyve done it to me when im trying to get to the front. Theres alot of assholes out there so u have to be careful when u get ur bike. A couple weeks ago i was in traffic and just went through the middle all the way to the front in a two lane turn once the light turned green i went and was infront of both cars the guy on my right decides to be a asshole and punches goes through the side of the road hauling ass and almost hits me just so he could be infront . I flipped him off and went on my way hahaha
I had this same EXACT thing happen to me, not even 20 minutes ago. Only difference is he sped up to the lane on my right and swerved in front of me on purpose. He was intentionally trying to get me to go down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a feeling

I was cut of by 2 elder people here....had to apply my breaks pretty hard.
Was so flustered I went to hit my horn and missed it lol.

I wouldn't ever lane split, I think it makes people look like a jerk but that's just me.

I agree. I don't lane split on my bike because I worry that: a) they won't see me and will do something to cause me to wreck; and b) WILL see me and assume I am being cocky and then try to cause me to wreck.

I have seen two situations of traffic congestion on highways where a biker was riding the shoulder to move up the road and was then pulled over by the police. I believe driving on the shoulder is illegal and maybe lane splitting isn't? Not sure about all the states. If I stay in my lane then I feel like I am "in the right", you know?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts