Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've already had a few members take a fall, and I'm sure there will be many more. I figure it would be a good idea to have a section dedicated to crash stories so people can learn from others mistakes, and offer advice to improve, or repair damage

I crashed! dammit! Well this is what I learned, etc

·
Registered
839 Posts
Moved to New Rider section ;)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm not really what I was aiming for. I was thinking a green section. I'm sure everyone could learn from crashes, not just new riders. Besides, it's not just new riders that crash out. And it's not really suitable for a single thread either. Be better to have a section and then a thread dedicated to each separate incident that people could read through

·
Registered
839 Posts
I see what your getting at, Cbzdel...opinions?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm quite sensitive to potential hazards being a new rider myself. So take what i have to say with a few grain of salt.

Don't take unfamiliar corners too hot. Even for streets because there are times where a wet manhole (lol) appears infront of your line and can lowside you.

If you feel you have to hard brake due to a yellow light, you're better off speeding through it. Don't risk locking your brakes if the way ahead is clear. Obviously, if you have lots of space to stop, just stop and wait for the green. Bikes don't have 4 wheels to make that stop safely and we have the acceleration to clear the light given the space.

If you are leading traffic on a road with traffic lights and approaching red. Try not to clutch in and click all the way to 1st. Go through all the gears while applying enough brake to slow. You don't want it to turn green and be caught slowing too much. The cage behind you may rear end you. On the same token, be weary of tailgaters at stop signs.

Stay away from blindspots. Slow so you're out of it or speed up ahead. People are oblivious to their surroundings.

Sent from my R800x using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
We have 12 areas of topic, 34 forums, and 14 sub-forums, my thoughts are we cant have a forum for every possible topic..

I feel the "new riders section" would be best for this kind of topics as they would learn the most.. Experienced riders would still be allowed to enter the new riders section as well...

Just my thoughts.. I dont see how having a crash only section for forum posting will do anything.. One could just search, "crash"..

Lets see what the rest of the forum thinks though...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, under the general section would work i think. It would be hard to organize otherwise. Not everyone includes crash in the title for example. And I for one have done extensive reading on many forums trying to learn from other peoples crashes to learn as much as I can. I've seen several other forums with sections dedicated to crash stories and have found them immensely useful to learn from.

I look forward to seeing other peoples opinions

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Yea, under the general section would work i think. It would be hard to organize otherwise. Not everyone includes crash in the title for example. And I for one have done extensive reading on many forums trying to learn from other peoples crashes to learn as much as I can. I've seen several other forums with sections dedicated to crash stories and have found them immensely useful to learn from.

I look forward to seeing other peoples opinions

Here is your best defense.

Buy a dirt bike. A tiny 80cc thumper playbike is fine. Go learn how to ride it on dirt, slide it, turn it, skid it, stop it, wheelie it, crash it and maybe even race it.

Apply those skills on the street within the rules of common sense, cause race track rules do not apply, though the skills do.

Failing that, get to an empty parking lot and spend hours doing everything, especially small, tight low speed circles, dragging the brakes, slipping the clutch and also stopping drills.

Over and over till you hate it.

Wax on. Wax off.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Don't go trying out twisties on your own as a new rider without telling anyone especially when you've never even gone on that road previously. Might realize it's way beyond your skill level and there might not be cell service when you crash...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well yea, I understand the skill development side of things. But there are many different ways to crash, and every time I've read about someone's experiences crashing I've taken something away from it. Gives me defensive driving tactics to put into my bag of best practices. Things like wild animals on the road, rough unfinished pavement in construction zones, slippery painted lines, the road suddenly turning to a dirt road at night, sand washing onto a road that was clean a half hour ago after a rain storm, pushing too hard on cold tires, etc, etc. Many of these kinds of scenarios have put a rider down, and I've only really thought about watching out for a lot of those things after reading about others crashing. And I was only able to do that when the stories are easy to find. In the end if it doesn't happen, that's fine, but I really did find those kinds of stories immensely useful

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
What about a compromise? Could we start a crash sicky thread? Would a single thead for this discussion work?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeaaaa...I imagine that as a single thread it would get far too messy to follow very well. I imagine the best way to do it would be to have a sub section under general discussion, or just keep the status quo and deal with searching if you really want to find crash threads to learn from

1 - 20 of 38 Posts