Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to this site and look forward to learning from you all.

Unfortunately, I'm skipping my intro right now and cutting straight to the chase: I was changing my own oil to get ready for this season, and instead of deciding to hand-tighten the oil plug, I decided to use my new torque wrench. With it being new, I started torqueing the oil plug to less than the 19.5nm in the owners manual. I was 2nm lower, so that I could get a feel for this torque wrench's click. I tightened it maybe 3/4 of a turn without hearing the click, which was weird. I take my torque wrench off, and taa-daa: the crush washer was cupping around the bolt. I backed the bolt out (quite easily) and saw that the oil pan had a hairline crack that oil was slowly dripping out of.

I see that the oil pan itself is bolted on, so I guess that's a godsend. Has anyone replaced theirs on a 2014 or equivalent Ninja? Does the exhaust need to be removed? How many hours of a job is it? Obviously, I'm extremely frustrated as I was using a torque wrench to avoid THIS EXACT SCENARIO. It's also problematic that due to the current pandemic I'm not even sure if my local dealership is even going to open up on Tuesday.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts