Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
The culprit most likely IS heat, but not due to high air temperatures; the issue is likely just sunlight.
funny you should say that, i had similar issues with the instrument cluster on my vfr800 13 years ago and it was caused from direct sunlight and man did have a hard time proving it to honda, they eventually believed me but man it took friggin ages

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you guys have the same, you better fix it somehow soon or pray it never rains on you. Once water gets in, its gg for the instrument panel and your wallet.
Mine's 100% not a crack. It's a scratch and I probably caused it wiping off dust during a 3 hour ride out to Forks of the Credit.

If you have a soft lip on it and it's on the surface then it's a scratch, I'd be pretty confidant about that. If it's a sharp super narrow edge on the sufrace then it's probably a crack. Anything under the surface then there's not much to discuss, something cracked underneath.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Correction, It's neither a scratch or a crack. It's GLUE under the lens, I didn't notice that until I went to take a picture and my Z10's light hit it right.
Click to Embiggin

It's the white smudge on the bottom right of the display. Looks like somebody got real excited when they were building my bike.

A co-worker with a Green SE has it too, but his is at least clear and barely visible when you're on the bike. His is on the bottom left corner of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Kawasaki Australia is not playing ball. Their reason is "We've never had this issue before".

Meanwhile, I'm riding around blind, no speed, no rpm, no distance, no fuel indication. Safety issue?

I guess its time to escalate the problem to the authorities.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Kawasaki Australia is not playing ball. Their reason is "We've never had this issue before".

Meanwhile, I'm riding around blind, no speed, no rpm, no distance, no fuel indication. Safety issue?

I guess its time to escalate the problem to the authorities.
You should ask them if they use that line with the first notice of every issue they have ever received.

Contact Kawasaki directly.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If it's glue under the lens then it's an electrical issue like someone else had. If it's cracked, how the hell did it crack? I kinda want to see some more pictures anyways to see if it's more glue heh. It's kinda bothering me now that I've seen two bikes with glue under the lens and one of them is mine.

But if the shit's not working I don't know how Kawasaki is going to find a way not to replace it. The rest of the bike isn't trashed (i assume), if the outside lens isn't smashed and it's something inside then it cant be abuse. If this mark is cosmetic and the problem is pure eletrical that AFAIK is a replacement too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My crack has progressed.

After leaving the bike at the dealership on Tuesday for fairing replacement, the first noticed on Wed morning was that the crack has not extended onto the plastic mould.
If you look inside the LCD panel glass, you also see the LCD itself cracking in the bottom left corner.
Vibration seems like the most reasonable and obvious culprit.

On the other hand, the dealership is palming me off saying it's out of their hands (however, according to the law and the Motor Dealers Act, they are liable) and Kawasaki is simply refusing to talk to me.

I've tried their contact form, the Facebook page on which they responded and asked for a number but no one has called yet...

The bike is now parked at home as I feel unsafe riding it. The speedo comes on sometimes and the speed is all over the place, the indicator lights no longer work... yesterday the OIL light came on, so the instruments are really screwed up.

If I do end up paying for my own repair, there will be a Ninja 300 for sale pronto and I will never look at a Kawasaki again.

Shame really, because I was starting to plan my upgrade either to ZX-6R or ZX-10R by the end of the year :(

Progression of the cracked instrument

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
On the other hand, the dealership is palming me off saying it's out of their hands (however, according to the law and the Motor Dealers Act, they are liable) and Kawasaki is simply refusing to talk to me.https://www.dropbox.com/s/5u8wu3mgeg6ywu0/Kawasaki_FB.jpg

then dont sit back & do nothing. fight these pricks. raise merry hell. write letters & make phone calls to places like motor dealers association etc & let these pricks know your alive & have an issue with the bike.

dont let this get you down, this is a great bike, amd im sure your pissed off, but keep the bike & get it sorted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got a call from Kawasaki Motors Australia yesterday to discuss my issue. The guy on the phone said that they rely on the dealership to do a thorough investigation and offer their opinion as to whether an item should be covered or not.

When I told him how the dealership dealt with me regarding the fairings issue, rust on the exhaust and now the instrument panel, he agreed to send a replacement instrument panel.

I insisted on not going back to the original dealership and picked an alternative one, which is further away from me and not where I bought the bike from, so I'm taking the bike in on Wednesday morning to have the part replaced.

What an exhausting week it's been... :(

p.s. if anyone from Sydney wants to know the cause of my pain (i.e. name and shame the dealership) please PM me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was gonna share my story since I just found this. My gauges always had moisture when it'd rain, and these weird swirl marks. One day I went into work there was no crack then I came out my panel where my odo is had a crack. I went to the dealership a lill later that day. Got a new panel. But its been a week since my new one. Wake up this morning to a spot that looks like some weird melty area. I am starting to worry about it. I am thinking I may of made a mistake getting this bike. It's fun to ride but if my panels just crack and melt in the sun unless covered it makes me not be confident in the rest.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I was gonna share my story since I just found this. My gauges always had moisture when it'd rain, and these weird swirl marks. One day I went into work there was no crack then I came out my panel where my odo is had a crack. I went to the dealership a lill later that day. Got a new panel. But its been a week since my new one. Wake up this morning to a spot that looks like some weird melty area. I am starting to worry about it. I am thinking I may of made a mistake getting this bike. It's fun to ride but if my panels just crack and melt in the sun unless covered it makes me not be confident in the rest.
That's a very odd issue. You are the first.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Unless it's made of wax or chocolate, your instrument cluster is not melting in the sun.

the VFR800 from 1998-2001 had an issue like this, was very common infact.it wasnt the instrument cluster that melted, it was the plastic around the outside of it that helped to hold it in to place

·
Registered
80 Posts
The first one was in sunlight since day one before anything cracked but it always would have what looked like steam in it when it rained. Then it broke. Like it was a crack that went from the bottom of the odo to the top on the little glass starting at the bottom left. Got no pics so figured I'd be detailed. Kawasaki covered it. This one has been on 2 week and had no marks at all till this morning before work. It has a spot that looks like a melty bubble I on the oil light area. I have not seen any water in it. I am just gonna keep it covered with a bandana when at work and am goin to buy a cover for when home so hopefully it won't do it worse. I've just been having crap luck lately lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could be an electrical/circuit card issue. I've dealt with lcd panels cracking and melting due to circuit cards or their electronics frying. Something (i've seen as little as fiber-sized metal) causing a short.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i found this when i got off work. i stopped by the shop on the way home. by some odd circumstance a kawasaki rep was there. he saw it and my previous panel and said he will send another. he also doesn't understand what happened cause this one hasn't seen sun much as i started covering it when i get to work and any time it parks. he said he'd talk to someone. hope i posted the pictures correctly so you all can see.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 63 Posts