Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 'returning rider' having bought my 300 a couple of months ago. At the outset I assumed that I would be able to go right back to peg dragging. Guess what? I found out on day one that it doesn't work that way. Basically, I spent the first couple of weeks having the 'new rider experience' all over again.

Now, after a few hundred miles, I find that my prior experience is finally starting to come back.

While I'm cautions about offering advice to other riders, here's a trick that recently came back from deep storage that might help with your cornering.

First, get suited up and seated on your bike. Before you press the starter take a second and look at the part of your arm between your wrist joint and your elbow. Got it visualized? Ok, go ahead and start the bike.

Next, go find a straight section of road that ends in a bit of a curve. Cruise down the straight part at a comfortable speed. As you approach the curve, do a mental check to make sure your brain isn't screaming "SLOW DOWN"! If it is, well... slow down. Also, make sure that your throttle wrist is flat - meaning parallel with the ground - (which is the position you should be riding in anyway).

Ok, here's the trick. Assuming that the curve is to the right, as you enter the curve think of that part of your arm that you visualized earlier - then just start moving that part of your right arm straight down towards the ground. Not forward, not back - straight down. The result should be just the right amount of lean and a beautifully executed turn.

Here's what's happening. By moving your right forearm down;

1) You are forcing your body to shift to the right (which also happens to be the inside of the turn),
2) The right side of your body drops (taking the left side with it),
3) Your head position shifts down towards your right mirror,
3) You are applying a bit of forward pressure to the right grip, resulting in appropriate counter steering,
4) Your right wrist is required to relax, and
5) You are automatically rolling on the throttle a bit - which is exactly what you need to do to execute a good turn.

More curve? More down!

If you feel comfortable doing all that, try adding one more element. As you enter the turn, move the knee closest to the inside of the turn away from the gas tank. Not much to begin with... just a couple of inches.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents offered in the hope that it will help some new rider out there.

Be safe out there!

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts