Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is my story if anyone is interested about my latest Ninja Experience. (6 week old Ninja 300 SE with ABS) Sydney Australia (Learner)

Recently noticed a green spay stain inside the front right Fairing. Later this green stain appeared lower on the engine. Looks as though there is a Coolant Leak.

Took it to the repair shop on Thursday. After waiting almost 2 hours whilst they looked at it, was told that a clamp was lose.

As the fairing was taken off by the mechanic, it now pops out. I saw the mechanic push it in before taking the bike out for a test/check. Needless the say they didn't say anything to me about it when giving back the bike. :(

After bringing it to their attention, they confirmed they were aware of it and proceeded to placed an order for new clips. :) Right side only though :(

Mechanic also confirmed that ABS and ECU needs replacing (Kwaka Recall). I said that I'll book in the recall job once the Fairing clips come in.

Took the bike to work and then home...and guess what......Coolant still spaying out.

I have now left the bike at the repair shop today (Friday). Should pick it up Wednesday next week with ABS, ECU replaced and the Coolant issue resolved. And even the fairing clips replaced, if they come in....not holding my breath though.

As a new rider...not overly impressed. This bike is new (only had it 6 weeks) and it is bleeding.

Anyone else had experiences with coolant leaks?

The repair guy mentioned something about a engine seal that is meant to pass coolant through it????? I'll try to put up few pictures so you can see.

BTW. Bike stalled on me today for the first time. Was in second gear slowing down with clutch in.

I'll update once I get...or don't get the bike back.

Barefoot :(

·
Registered
506 Posts
My battery went to hell and left it with the dealer to warranty and also deal with ABS and ECU recall. It's nearly 3 weeks and they still haven't given it back. They changed out the ECU and ABS, but still needs to charge up the new battery (after having the bike for 3 weeks now, why didn't they deal with this while the recall parts were backordered???).

after i get it back, I'll still need to upgrade the steering bearings cause my stock bearings are loose.

There are definitely problems with the build quality. But the ride quality is still worth it for me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
801 Posts
Early on there were quite a few coolant leaks, enough that everyone was being warned on this forum to keep an eye on it! As for the fairing gap well it was probably only a matter of time anyway! I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless it gets larger than sa 3-4mm gap.
Looks like you got the jackpot with every problem in 1!

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
As for the fairing gap well it was probably only a matter of time anyway! I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless it gets larger than sa 3-4mm gap.
thats 3 or 4 millimetres bigger then it should be, it should be sitting nice & flush with out any tape or anything else holding it there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My battery went to hell and left it with the dealer to warranty and also deal with ABS and ECU recall. It's nearly 3 weeks and they still haven't given it back. They changed out the ECU and ABS, but still needs to charge up the new battery (after having the bike for 3 weeks now, why didn't they deal with this while the recall parts were backordered???).

after i get it back, I'll still need to upgrade the steering bearings cause my stock bearings are loose.

There are definitely problems with the build quality. But the ride quality is still worth it for me.

3 weeks...wow..it has been 3 days for me without the bike.....if i had the wait 3 weeks....i would buy a Honda...(joke)....i hope you get it back soon.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had a similar looking leak. I took it in since its under warranty. One of the O-rings for the coolant hose was not properly positioned. The end result is the bike would leak very slowly once up to temp. My fairings and engine block were covered in dried up coolant.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My bike is currently parked in my garage due to coolant leak. Happened at 1100 kms. Not very happy about it. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet. It's been about 3 weeks. I want to check the clamps and tighten them up if need be. I've never taken off that big fairing though. I'll see what I can do over the next couple of days

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I had the exact same leak. Was simply a hose clamp from one of the coolant hoses that go to what looks like a little thermostat type of part right up top on the right hand side. You can see it if you look through the gap in the fins on the right side towards the top.

Take off fairing, simple tighten up and she was all good. Took literally 20 minutes to fix.

And no damage caused by any uncareful dealers touching my bike!!!

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Off Topic. I love that avatar Jeff.

Reactions: jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update

As Jeff mentioned, it was a hose clamp. I had two of them.

Picked up the bike this afternoon....it is great to get her back. ABS and ECU replaced.

Now I ride off into the distance...actually to the local car park to practise for my MOST Provisional license test.....1 month to go.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hey Barefoot! Have you got the test marked out? Not shuts where you are but near me in Ingleburn the test is marked out in a quiet industrial street!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Barefoot! Have you got the test marked out? Not shuts where you are but near me in Ingleburn the test is marked out in a quiet industrial street!
Nah, I take some half tennis balls and a tape measure for the cone weave and use 2.5 car spaces for u turn practice. Would be great if it was already marked out :). I usually go up to the Crest (Bankstown Velodrome).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts