Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having a hard time justifying $400+ for the go pro when the $200 roam does almost everything i'd want it for for half the price. the only plus the other has is mic support but i figured i could always overdub in editing my videos with my commentary and save the money. don't really need 120fps 1080p or the other advanced video modes... unless i am missing something?

what sayeth the hivemind?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I think it really comes down to how much you really like making/editing videos. If it's not something you're super into, then there's not as much of a point having the latest and greatest equipment. However, I would want to make sure that it can at least capture license plates well if something were to happen and you need that info.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Isn't the GoPro white retain for $199?

·
Registered
292 Posts
+1 for the contour.
There isn't much difference between the two.
The go-pro looks stupid to me, it's basically a big sail on your helmet.
The contour has that giant easy on switch and its a good shape to put pretty much anywhere, plus it "looks the part" if you know what I mean.
My contour+ has a mic port on the bottom for an external mic, not sure if the roam has it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 for the contour.
There isn't much difference between the two.
The go-pro looks stupid to me, it's basically a big sail on your helmet.
The contour has that giant easy on switch and its a good shape to put pretty much anywhere, plus it "looks the part" if you know what I mean.
My contour+ has a mic port on the bottom for an external mic, not sure if the roam has it.
The roam or roam 2 do not but I'm having a very hard time justifying $200 just for an external Mic port

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
993 Posts
wow, wonder if the priceson these things will ever drop?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two hundred is reasonable for a video camera. Four hundred just for a mike port addition is not...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Two hundred is reasonable for a video camera. Four hundred just for a mike port addition is not...

It's not just a mic port. They're two totally different cameras even though they look similar.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no the contour 2+ or whatver is also $400 for what amounts to basically just a mic port, imho

·
Registered
292 Posts
That extra 200 includes 120fps slow motion, bluetooth connectivity to stream to a computer or use your phone as a view finder, plus gps mapping.
None of that is necessary, but it made it all worth it to me.
I use all the extra features almost every time I use the camera.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is that on the go pro or...?``

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so i broke down and got the +2. do you have a recommendation for a mic to check out? keep in mind i wear a shoei qwest so it's full face...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Craigslist. That's where I picked up my Gopro 2 outdoor edition.

Let us know how you like the countor!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Any noise canceling mic or mic with a foam cover should work well inside your helmet especially if you get a neck liner.
Unless your looking for some super high quality audio, then I'm not sure what you need.
I'd cut the mic off of whatever it is attached to and secure it to the inside of the helmet to the side of your mouth to cut down on breathing noise and make it more comfortable, wearing a headset would be undesirable to me.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just want something that allows me to capture voice, while being comfy and actually fits. don't care about bells and whistles lol

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i'm uploading my test video to youtube now... unfortunately i don't think it will upload before i am in bed but you never know...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts