Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long did it take you guys to jump on the freeway when you started out riding?

I'm questioning my confidence when it comes to peak hour on freeways where you are pretty much forced to lane split where i live its over an hour from home to work and I just cant bring myself to do it.

I'm 6'5 so the bike feels a little unstable at slow (crawling) speeds but I have no problem with u turns and can throw the bike into corners and roundabouts without hesitation.

What the hell is wrong with me, am I best just to jump in and overcome this fear.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
The first time I ever split a lane was doing 120 down 2 semi trucks doing around 65-70 after that it was no longer that big of a deal. Really its all about getting some guts and just ride.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are you comfortable in lighter traffic or on divided 4 lane, non-freeway type roads? You just have to build up to it. You do have to eventually jump in, but be smart about it. I think it's better to build your confidence in stages.

Lane splitting scares the hell out of me just watching it on Youtube. It's illegal in Florida so I can't do it anyway...which kinda makes me happy.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first time I ever split a lane was doing 120 down 2 semi trucks doing around 65-70 after that it was no longer that big of a deal. Really its all about getting some guts and just ride.
Big Balls.

Are you comfortable in lighter traffic or on divided 4 lane, non-freeway type roads? You just have to build up to it. You do have to eventually jump in, but be smart about it. I think it's better to build your confidence in stages.

Lane splitting scares the hell out of me just watching it on Youtube. It's illegal in Florida so I can't do it anyway...which kinda makes me happy.
Im fine around traffic where i don't have to lane split. freeway just moves to slow to sit in first behind a car stop starting.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It is a confidence thing for sure. When I moved to Japan for a few years I thought I was being an outlaw when I learn how to ride in Tokyo.

Once you do it for a while, even this becomes easy to do. Just not here the US though :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow that's crazy our lanes are not that tight.

Maybe in due course I wont have a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
nothng like blastng over a bridge having the time of your life and then glancing at the speedometer and seeing 98 and thinking "wtfomg?!?!" especially since this is a "baby" bike

·
Registered
221 Posts
Funny story about that. My first bike ever, a ninja 500 was being sold to me by a guy who had it in a storage unit, right off the highway. I had zero experience, was dropped off by a buddy, paid the man and hopped on. Was in traffic on the highway, bumper to number for 10 miles, let me tell you I learned clutch control real fast. Then it opened up and it was like the autobahn. Best advice if you have the fear, the apprehension that's good, as long as you have the confidence. It sounds like your aware of the danger, your ahead of the curve , you will do fine.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If you're really worried about it start slowly my first freeway ride was at 2am which has minimal traffic on the 101 helped me adjust a lot then just went on at hrs with average traffic till I started riding during mega busy hours

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Kurt,
I was the same way. The second day I had my bike I was just riding around when I saw the interstate sign. I told myself I am just going to jump on the interstate and get off the next exit (two miles). Now I jump on the interstate like its nothing. It's more of a head game then anything. Your just putting yourself in a mind maze.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
268 Posts
I still haven't gone on the interstate yet, first did my neighborhood, then surrounding neighborhoods, then some bigger streets, now I do highways and main roads. Once I get over 500 miles I will go on i75.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The thing about lane splitting to me isn't the ability to weave that narrow path between cars; that seems simple enough. It just seems like you're putting an awful lot of faith in other drivers not to just swerve into you. I have 0 trust of other drivers on the road in a car or on a bike.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Roads in Japan were crazy narrow. At least it was up north in Misawa and Hachinohe. Keep in mind on that video though, that video camera was using a wide angle on it too. Makes the narrow lanes look even more narrow than they really are.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all you're thoughts and experiences on the matter.

I don't have any faith in other drivers that's the problem that's holding me back from lane splitting for 40km's.

Guess ill try the hop on and get off till i get use to the feeling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was on a 5 lane highway the 4 right were stop-n-go and the left was HOV lane with no cars. I just merged on to the farthest right lane and hated indicating and scooting left in mostly completely stopped traffic 4 lanes one at a time, then I finally got the the lane next to the HOV, indicate and darted over and floored it, WHOOPS, 1ton lifted pickup hauling ass was right there, he locked up his brakes and I shit my pants. I was so shaky on my bike from going 1mph in the stop-n-go and kept looking forward, left, forward, left, that I forgot to look BACK. That was a close call for me, and I'm pretty scared and EXTRA cautious of rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been riding for about 6 weeks now on my 300. I was pretty scared about the idea of riding freeway for the first couple of weeks, but what I did was take things step by step. Me and my riding buddy would go on streets with 55 MPH speed limit. After getting about 100 miles under my belt, we decided to try the freeway, hit 75MPH, scared me like crazy. Eventually I started getting used to the speed, not grip super tight on the handles, started to hug the tank to reduce wind resistance and overall increase in experience. I'm currently at 800 miles on my odometer I can go up to 95 in the freeway if I wanted to and not freak out.

Baby steps, better safe than sorry.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts