Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so all this modding and personalization stuff sounds really awesome but... what if one is say, mechanically illiterate as i am? I say illiterate because i'm not inept; i can generally do maintence, once i see how it is performed and done. it's just, reading the instructions and posts about stuff doesn't really help me educate myself on mechanical issues. it's like my riding; i can read all the articles in the world yet until i practice them myself, it's just words and themes with no practical application.

that said, what are some really simple, easy mods i can do or attempt to do to get my feet wet? i've been meaning to buy the service manual just for continued education i just haven't gotten around to it yet. i do know personally that i would definitely like to swap out the exhaust (don't know enough about them to spring for a full-swap so a slip-on is fine for me), but everything else thus far i am happy with, probably because i am still a newbie and thus am still learning a lot about riding and the bike and lack any concrete opinions on what works and what could be better or how i could make it better for me. the levers on the handle bar works great for me and are comfy, i'm comfy with my seat, the gearing doesn't really cause me issues or grief. aside from the muffler, i'm very pleased with how the bike looks and performs.

i can't help but feel that i'm missing out on part of the thrill of motorcycling simply because im happy with 99% of the stock bike. educate me, o mechanically talented; what am i missing out on? none of the riders i know as friends do much of their own work; they always paid a shop to do it for them. that seems kind of silly to me to pay a shop to slip a few bolts and put a new can on the exhaust, unless there's more to it of which i am unaware. in any event, i'm open to new ideas and concepts to personalize the bike even more for me.

Forgot to mention the rear-fender; i also want one of the elimination kits, but with my ignorance, i'm confused. i've seen posts about people having to cut the body and re-wire and solder, then i've also seen posts that are a simple plug and play swap with no body work or electrical engineering required. but in any event i DEFINITELY want that rear fender gone. aside from the sound of the can, that is the biggest eyesore on the bike; it's just easy to overlook when youre on the machine since obviously you're eyes up and forward not down and back...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol slip a few nuts and bolts eh? :p

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Easiest mod you can do, and best bang for buck as its 100% free :)

There is even a "How-To" on here on how to do it so it looks factory

·
Registered
23 Posts
Id say start with buying a factory service manual and buying a starter set of tools. Do your first oil change and all your post break in maintenance (exept for valve lash adjustment) thats a little iffy for a beginner. Not complicated with good instruction but the results of not getting it right could cause grief.
Any way with all the stuff that you should do done you should have gained confidence to tackle the things you want to do. The fender eliminator is an easy one and if you can follow the directions in the manual to do the maintenance you should have no problem following a thread and or video to get it done. Good luck and sorry you got the bug. It will rule you. Today I was supposed to come home and do my homework for college but I had a new 15 tooth countershaft sprocket that told me to put it on and test ride and then the forum was calling me to see what was new so I got nothing I was supposed to do done! Im happy though ha ha

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aye that's the bug. im done with school so no more 15 page papers for me (for now i suppose ;)) but i;m single and no kids so i have plenty of 'me' time lol...

·
Registered
958 Posts
My view is that there are 2 kinds of modifications, the kind that improve the bike as far as performance and the rest is cosmetic.

For the Ninja 300, the performance list is pretty short, not that you can't do ton's of stuff to make the bike faster, but also when you consider the cost of the modification in comparison to the cost of the bike. You could probably put $10,000 into the bike and make it twice as powerful and twice as fast, but it's a $5000 bike. The only performance mods I plan on for sure, are tires and exhaust. I've talked to my bike shop/mechanic who specializes in racing sport bikes about a power commander, and he said for this bike, the performance difference would be negligible considering the cost. Also, the exhaust will reduce weight and mildly improve performance, but we all really do it for the sound and appearance :D I also plan on getting clip-ons, as I understand that they will improve the handling of the bike, and I like riding in the canyons. Also I want to get rear-sets, not sure about the GP Shift yet, but I'll get matching rear-sets and levers for appearance sake. Of these modifications the only one that I would do myself is the slip-on, maybe?

As far as appearance modifications, I may do the BiXenon light treatment, although considering everything I've read, I'd rather find a place to do it for me :( Also the tail chop, because I still don't understand why manufactures put these ugly fender/tails on bikes that Everyone takes off. Perhaps a few other few minor things (like the Kawasaki valve stems that I saw on here) but not too much cosmetically.

For the most part I will do minor things, but for me it's easier to drop my bike off at my mechanic in the morning, and pick it up after work and have everything done perfectly. Most of the time I spend with my bike is spent riding (I only ride for fun, no commuting) because that's Why I got this bike, to have FUN! :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
clean up the tail. change some of the lights to LEDs. Simple things. A slip on exhaust is also easy enough.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I am completely new to all this also, don't feel bad. I took off my front reflectors the first day by accident by checking to make sure everything on the bike was tight. Then I saw how someone swapped the bolts from underneath the rear seat and I did that as my very first mod... I don't like my motorcycle looking like a kid's bicycle.

I ordered some rim tape (white) to put around all the tires and I plan to get a tank pad as well. Eventually I wanna paint the inside of my wind visor or whatever it's called. This is pretty much all cosmetic... I just want the bike to feel like it's mine. I don't need to change everything about my bike to do that.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
indeed i dont want to go crazy. i just want a f/e kit and a slip-on and i'll be good. of course that stuff requires money.... which i dont have atm... but that's ok i spent it buying things for people i care about :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
also very new to biking here, passed the course and got this bike three weeks later. wanting to make this bike my own like most people here, thinking easy mods that are relatively inexpensive. fender elimination, reflector delete, rim tape, tank pad, dark double bubble eventually, maybe a slip-on exhaust depending on cost and install difficulty.
can anyone post links to best threads on these mods? looked through a few of em and seems like they say different things on each one

glad to finally be a part of the bike community!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
slip on is wicked easy; did it myself in about an hour or so (cause i kept stopping to make sure i was doing it EXACTLY as written). It's pure wrench work.

That said, when i get my electronics done, i don't mind paying someone to do it because i am not the greatest with splicing and wiring and electronics frying oh my...! :(

·
Registered
490 Posts
Maybe look at getting swing arm spools(I know that we have all these different terminologies for parts so I'm refering to the steel round things that bolt into the swing arm about 5cm from where the wheel bolts on.I know its not practical if you don't have a paddock stand but if you get anodized swing arm spools, it adds that little extra to the bike.plus getting a paddock stand makes things like lubing the chain or putting on rim tape that much easier.it might even make things easier when working on the bike aswell

·
Registered
10 Posts
are swing arm spools just for looks? ive seen them mentioned and dont quite understand it haha. also is there a price range for the stands? probably would be smart to invest in one

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
are swing arm spools just for looks? ive seen them mentioned and dont quite understand it haha. also is there a price range for the stands? probably would be smart to invest in one
They are where rear stands can hook onto. It's more secure than using a rear stand with paddles under the swingarm.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you don't have a paddock stand then its for looks.
a paddock stand hooks under the spools and when you push the stand to the floor,it raises the bike off the ground and keeps it level(it makes working on the bike a bit easier(plus it looks professional in photos when the bike is jacked up :p).lube your chain without spraying a bit that you can see and then moving the bike forwards until you see more unlubed chain(just spray and spin the wheel).it makes putting on rim tape easier beacuase you can put on some tape and spin the wheel to a comfortable postion.(Without the paddock stand,you will end up trying to tape pieces that you can't get to without moving the bike).I presume that it will make working on the left side of the bike easier bacause it won't lean to the left.I think it would help a lot with DIY projects especially around the back wheel.you also get a front paddock.in South Africa they cost about R800 so I'm assuming they cost about 60-80$ in the US.(Don't quote me on that)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I knew next to nothing mechanical until I put a cat-back exhaust on my WRX. Doing that with the help of endless forum reading/info helped me get to where I am today. I wouldn't take my stuff to a mechanic unless it had to do with internals or if I really couldn't diagnose it. I think you would be on the right track to start off with a fender eliminator, slip on and other small cosmetic stuff. You gotta count through 1 and 2 to get to 10, ya know. Baby steps...

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks guys, im one of those people that i would not go to the dealer unless i absolutely had to, even if im inexperienced. does this stand look functional enough? im a college student so when i see a deal i like to jump on it. :)
also, the one stand works for either the front or the back wheel then? so i would need to buy 4 swingarm spools? i figure to be attempting this stuff in the next month or so, (one at a time) so im at the shopping around stage right now. got a tank pad for my 21st birthday, looking to get the rim tape next and then decide on more complex projects after baby steps like you said haha
thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
thanks guys, im one of those people that i would not go to the dealer unless i absolutely had to, even if im inexperienced. does this stand look functional enough? im a college student so when i see a deal i like to jump on it. :)
also, the one stand works for either the front or the back wheel then? so i would need to buy 4 swingarm spools? i figure to be attempting this stuff in the next month or so, (one at a time) so im at the shopping around stage right now. got a tank pad for my 21st birthday, looking to get the rim tape next and then decide on more complex projects after baby steps like you said haha
thanks for all the help!

http://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motorcycle-Swingarm-Paddock-Kawasaki/dp/B0036QX4EY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Front and rear stands are different. Swingarm spools are only for the swingarm so only one set needed. Front stands either lift by the forks or the triple tree clamp. Most stands lift by the forks. I just got a set of Venom stands and so far it seems like they're reasonably stable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts