Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to riding bikes on the road so i wanted to ask more experienced riders about braking around town.

I'm finding on my 300 i don't have to use the brakes much at all. I downshift, rev match and the bike pulls up really quick around town. The only time i really need the front and back brake is to do a complete stop for a roundabout or stop sign.

( this is in sensible commute mode btw )

Do you guys find this on all bikes? I often find myself just giving a couple of pumps on the rear brake to activate the brake light when slowing down using compression.

I also use the rear brake to stabilize on roundabouts.

I have the non ABS and practiced a panic stop from 80kph tonight and love how quick the 300 pulls up. ( without even getting close to locking up a wheel )

Great bike!!

Luke

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes, braking can be very limited when riding just about anywhere. Even when dual-sport riding with my Enduro I often hear from my riding partners, "Is your tail light not working correctly?". Using the throttle and downshifting (throttle blimp) you can use the engine to really control the speed. Just try and match the engine revs every time you go down in gears to help the engine slow more effectively and evenly; plus it sounds kinda cool too. It will become second nature without thinking. I have 12K miles on my 630 lb sport-tourer and front pads are maybe 1/4 of the way gone.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I agree I dont use the breaks all the time, but I do use them quite a bit, I end up at a lot of stoplights =(

Since I changed my front sprocket to a 15 tooth front sprocket however... I use my breaks way more! the bike just glides better

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
the 300 has a slipper clutch-prevents rear wheel lockup-as long as you don't hit red-line when downshifting, it won't hurt engine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts