Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey just thought to start a threat on clutchless up shifting. Wasn't sure if to put it here as it can just as easily be done on the street (though little serious benefit for street and commute riding)

If anyone has opinions for or against clutchless up-shifting would you please share but kindly back them up if you can with quotes or genuine track experience good or bad. With perfect technique i believe there would be negligible wear on parts* but i am curious how much punishment the box can take (Peanut_EOD i'm hoping you may have a piece to add). I know saving milliseconds is pointless on the road but for a quick acceleration on occasion it can be an alternative to slow clutch up shifting.

For obvious reasons when taking off and down shifting it is best to use the clutch and blip the throttle to match engine speed to gear speed.

*Disclaimer: No responsibilities will be taken for how you ride or any potential damage as a result of what you do from reading this thread :p

Here's a spirited article i found for those wanting to read up:
http://www.sportrider.com/riding_tips/146_0704_clutchless_upshifting/viewall.html

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I do it all that time, on every bike I have ever owned.. not for general riding, but when I am doing more aggressive riding..

Never had an issue with it..

·
Registered
813 Posts
i wasn't aware you could do clutchless shifting O: I have once or twice as a learner shifted and not pulled the clutch in, pretty sure my bike hated me for it lol
Im going to google this now, interesting :D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Did this accidentally the other day as well. My first thought was....WTF did I just do? What are the risks with doing this?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I load up the shifter a little, briefly back off the throttle then back to full and presto next gear! Really good for hard accellerations. If done properly no addition wear is to be expected.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The area I live in is really popular for drag racing sportbikes, dirtbikes, and ATVs. I used to do it all the time on my 450 sport quad but my clutch started slipping at higher RPMs after a while so I stopped.
It won't hurt to do occasionally as needed or just for fun but doing it all the time I wouldn't do personally.

That guy that posted about being hit by that white van bent his frame; He probably could have benefited from some clutchless shifting and a change of underpants! LOL

Since 1st gear is useless on these bikes, if you ever really needed to scoot to save your life, it's a good skill to have. It takes a little chemistry though. You can't measure RPMs or watch the tach. You have to feel the bike to kick at the best possible position in the powerband.

Someone else mentioned keeping up with some 1000s, this method will keep you from getting completely left in the dust on occasion. LOL You'll still get smoked but at least you can keep em in your sights and have fun doing so.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I do it most of the time on the track. Although, I use the clutch at times out of habit. 32 years of street riding can do that to a guy... :D
I usually always use the clutch on the street. Although my new bike came from the factory with a GP Quick-shifter. So I may get used to not using it at all, anymore.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One thing I for sure: clutchless shifting won't give a better durability for your gearbox than using your clutch properly.

But, yeah, have done this with previous bikes and a few times with the ninja 300 just to feel it.

Have never had any issues, but I just doesn't sound right. No longer doing this. There is no point...

Sent from my Motorola PT550 using Motorcycle.com Android app

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure what sound you're talking of, when done properly it swaps cogs without any sound or issues.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
i have been doing it for years. the gear box will take it no dramas. only time i use a clutch is to take off from a standing start and thats it, be it road bike or dirt bike, treat them all the same.never had a drama yet

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Did it by accident about a week ago and thought the mechanics screwed up my bike. Did it a few more times and thought it was neat but I'll stick to the clutch. Just feels better and easier for a noob like myself.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Talked to our guys here and most all do clutchless upshifts. Just a track habit we've kept and use on the street.

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
I do it 90% of the time. I think it's a racer thing. That's where I learned it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've only successfully done a clutchless upshift a handful of times :p

Every other time I try, I let go of gas, I kick up the shifter, nothing happens, try it again, nothing, then just pull clutch in and gear up :/

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've only successfully done a clutchless upshift a handful of times :p

Every other time I try, I let go of gas, I kick up the shifter, nothing happens, try it again, nothing, then just pull clutch in and gear up :/
Are you pre-loading the shift lever?

You need to apply pressure to the shifter, and while maintaining that pressure, blip the throttle. When you blip the throttle, you'll feel the shifter "snick" up without having to apply anymore pressure.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts