Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch engages at the very last 1/8th before fully open. Is this normal or did the dealer mess up my bike? It has like no play and is either engaged or not in a very short space like 1/4 of an inch. How can I adjust it?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was at the local dealer getting some gear and asked the dealer to adjust my clutch cable. Luckily they did it for free. Only took a minute and so much better now.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Many new beginner oriented bikes have a very narrow engagement zone. Supposedly it's easier to manage as a newbie. I wouldn't know, as both my bikes have a very narrow engagement range. Adjusting the cable wont change the engagement range. Will just change where in the lever pull it'll start the engagement process.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Will new levers fix the range? I am not a huge fan of it being right at the end of the lever travel.
No, new levers won't expand the friction zone. I have adjustable levers and while they're more comfortable to use, the clutch is still engaged in the first 1/4 pull of the lever.

Reactions: threefity

·
Registered
82 Posts
This was my first bike that required shifting so I didn't realize all bikes weren't like this, but now having ridden something that engages at the half way point I'd rather it be there then at the very end like this one is setup.

·
Registered
330 Posts
some of the smaller bikes like 50-125's don't shift, mopeds dont shift, and most scooters don't shift. technically they are bikes (two wheels ).
Ahh, Thanks for the clarification...I thought he might have been referring to those electric bikes. I saw a video on youtube that converted an r1 to an electric bike and a few that have been used in racing...I wouldn't mine owning when if they could stretch out the milage a bit farther on them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You had a bike that didnt require shifting? What was it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I had an Aprilia Mana GT, 850cc sport touring bike with a CVT on it.
What a waste, this ninja 300 could eat it for lunch in the 0 to 60 - automatics are very slow....

mroe than 2 times the engine, yet 1 second slower to 60mph and passing was a task since you got no choice on downshifting, sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oh yeah and to maintain that CVT costs 900 dollars every 12,000 miles :(

I got rid of it because of the on going maintenance costs and the constant problems with it. Italian bikes are nice to ride, but it was very finicky and had lots of problems and anything that goes wrong will cost you big $$$ and you'll be waiting on parts for a month.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Italian bikes are nice to ride, but it was very finicky and had lots of problems and anything that goes wrong will cost you big $$$ and you'll be waiting on parts for a month.
I guess its a good thing I decided against picking up that ducati monster then...although a part of me still secretly wants one.:D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I love the clutch on the 300. My gixxer has almost no play at all. The short travel will have you clutchless shifting in no time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts