Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone has this feeling?

the RPM rise but the speed didnt rise as quick..

feel like free spinning...

done 400km so far.. clutch required run in??

·
Registered
865 Posts
not for me..? This is a small cc bike... it does take a lil time to speed up? if thats what your not used to? its not a 600 or anything haha

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check to make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. It should have 2-3mm of free play. If its adjusted too tight and the lever has zero free play this could cause slipping. Mine was adjusted wrong from the factory.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
You may be feeling the difference in the fat, thick midrange power (for a 300) and where it tapers off as the revs hit about 10k or so? It's odd to be short shifting a 300cc Ninja but I find myself staying below 8k all the time. I can ride it all day long between 4k and 7k.

Revving it out brings more noise and not alot of additional accelleration.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Never happened to me.. You could always have your dealer check it out if you think the clutch is slipping..

·
Registered
237 Posts
You may be feeling the difference in the fat, thick midrange power (for a 300) and where it tapers off as the revs hit about 10k or so? It's odd to be short shifting a 300cc Ninja but I find myself staying below 8k all the time. I can ride it all day long between 4k and 7k.

Revving it out brings more noise and not alot of additional accelleration.
I'm confused on how this applies to the original post. He is saying the RPM is shooting up without the bikes speeding increasing accordingly. You are describing the acceleration flattening out and the bike NOT revving up quickly.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
falling bomb after reading your response, a fast neutral came to mind first.. and if it pops into gear during a false neutral, I am sure the clutch would slip as it catches into gear..

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
The sensation almost feels like the engine isn't in step with the road speed. i don't know how experienced the OP is but when the engine hits the top end it wails while it doesn't move the bike at the same rate of accelleration that it had in the mid range.

Might be totally off but I see how it could feel like it isn't engaged as tightly at the top end.

+30 years riding/racing here.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Digging up an old thread here, but I just experienced something similar the other day. I was accelerating under probably about 70-70%% throttle and, when I hit around 6500 RPM, the acceleration just died and the RPMs jumped up over 7000 before I let off the throttle in surprise. I tried some hard acceleration again and experienced the same thing again. I'm still under 300 miles on the odometer, so I might just stop by the dealership after the holidays and ask rather than bringing the bike in for service.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Seeing as these bikes do run a slipper style clutch......I could envision that their would be a few bikes that have engagement issues under engine load.......

And yes I know that they arent supposed to work under acceleration just under engine braking but if I had a dollar for everytime I had bought something that didnt do what it was supposed to........ sort of like the wife :D

To the dealers my friends.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm experiencing this as well. In fact, I contacted the Dealer as it is discussed here, and they did a thorough check around the bike. This is exactly what I was experiencing and wanted to make sure nothing was damaged. They rode it around and said it was in great shape and felt fine. Of course I couldn't reproduce the issue! So they ended up doing my break in service and were going to mention to me if they found anything. There were no issues and they told me what I was feeling is driver inexperience. The ride home after was rad; however I am now feeling it again... I had the bike serviced yesterday. What could be going on??? Please help!

·
Registered
419 Posts
sounds like you may just have to keep running it and almost hope that it gets worse/occurs more frequently so that it can be diagnosed properly. Hopefully if this is going to happen it will happen while you're still under warranty.

Maybe have a more experienced rider friend give it a go and see if he/she can replicate the issue and offer their feedback on whether it might be a clutch slip or nothing at all.

I can't speak for bikes but certainly on a car you will KNOW when a clutch is starting to slip so if its not that obvious it might just be normal/ok.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I just missed a gear yesterday, feels like the clutch just started to slip. It was 3-4 shift at the top of the RPMs. It just means the gears weren't fully engaged and as the torque rises it basically slips out of engagement. Sounds like what you guys are experiencing.

Firm shifting with your foot, wear proper boots and use the top of the hard part of the foot. The stock leverage/peg position doesn't help. Your foot isn't at a great angle to start with. Rear sets help a lot by getting your foot further back and the angle of your ankle is more natural. I try to use my leg to actually pull the lever, not just articulation of the ankle.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You might want to see and make sure the dealership put in the right type of oil in your bike. On my last bike, the dealership had put in a common oil that had a special additive that is supposed to coat the engine parts and add an extra layer of lubrication. That's fine and dandy for an engine with a dry clutch, but our motorcycles use a wet sump. So having an extra clingy additive attach itself to parts that work based purely off of friction, being fed from the same oil supply as the engine, will give similar results. As the engine has been running for a bit and the oil has cycled through the engine and transmission, when a sudden surge of power hits the clutch, due to the extra coat of lubrication, it wont be able to maintain friction and will slip until that slight layer is removed or torque drops down below that friction level.

I know it's probably not the case but I'm just throwing that out there just in case. Have had it happen before and apparently it's pretty easy to be done. Many of the premium oils have an extra lube additive that coats and acts as an extra layer of lube. This is absolute nightmare for a wet clutch.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The dealership I got my first used bike at used regular off the shelf car motor oil which had this additive coating in it. They figured synthetic oil good for a car would be fine for a bike. Took a while to flush my system out and have them put the proper type of oil in.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Clutch Slip when high RPM

Mine will slip when riding hard, I just figure it's the slipper clutch being stupid. Ill actually hear the rpm's drop as the clutch bites.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 65 Posts