Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I noticed this just started happening today. Basically whenever I shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th my bike makes a clunking noise. My bike has about ~400 miles on it and I have not done a first service or anything to it yet. Is this something that can be fixed with an oil change or something along those lines? The noise is definitely a lot different from what I'm used to when shifting and i'm kind of concerned.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
How long have you been riding? I'll venture a guess you might be dragging the clutch and mis-timing the shift.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only been riding about 2 weeks. But now that you mention it I might be doing just that. I'll take another ride and see if it still happens or make sure I'm shifting properly.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Try to be deliberate and load the shifter with some pressure just as you back off the throttle. You can shift smoothly without the clutch, it is all in the timing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I just rode around for about another hour and the same issue still happens. It seems to only be doing it from 1st to 2nd to 3rd but all other gears shift fine. I'm not doing anything differently than I have been since I started riding, only the clunking noise is different.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Bring it to 6-7k and change it there. Your bike will be OK, i figure your still breaking her in?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it's still being broken in. I was told that around 600 miles should be the point where it is fine?

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Kawasaki already ran it wide open thru every gear after they built it. Try raising the RPMs at those gears shift points. I find 6k is a great spot to allow it to keep in the fat part of the torque curve.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if shifting at around 6k as opposed to 4k will resolve my issue, how come it only just started happening today and it hasn't happened since I started riding?

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I said to try it. My guess it is your inexperienced foot/hand that is the cause. Try a higher shift point, see if it smooths out.

What are you wearing on your feet while riding?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm wearing bilt motorcycle boots. Yea I will definitely give it a try at higher RPMs tomorrow when it's not dark. Thank you for all the help!

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Let me know how it goes.

Here is something else to try in a controlled environment, no traffic!

Gently bring it up to 5-6k, then put pressure on shifter upwards, roll off the throttle and firmly lift the gear shifter. It should snick in cleanly, roll on throttle again. 99% of the time you can do it smoother without the clutch. Practice in the higher gears, 2-3, 3-4. You can do it at 4k in the top gears too.

As to the clunks, the different speeds of the gear shafts in the lower gears may be exaggerated due to the gaps in the ratios. This can bring a good clunk as the gears mesh and force the shafts to match speeds. Have you forced it into first as you rolled to a stop? The same clunk?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found that shifting at 6000 rpm and riding about 7500 really smooths the bike out and makes it much easier to handle. It seems to like those higher RPM's

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As to the clunks, the different speeds of the gear shafts in the lower gears may be exaggerated due to the gaps in the ratios. This can bring a good clunk as the gears mesh and force the shafts to match speeds. Have you forced it into first as you rolled to a stop? The same clunk?
When going into first when rolling to a stop it's more of a click noise than a clunk noise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had that same problem, and since I am new to bikes I figured I was the culprit, when I took it to the dealer, at first they said thay wouldnt ewven look at it, because I have sv racing rearsets. I had to talk to the manager to get them to look at it, and it was a simple fix of adjusting the clutch cable, the shop said this clutch cable stretches a lot for a newer bike, and then showed me how to adjust it. so far it has solved my issue every time. Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts