Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well according to my owners manual I'm due to clean and lube the chain however I don't have any type of rear or center stand. What's the easiest way to preform these services using the side stand, or would it just be better to invest in a stand for basic maintenence needs?

Also what's the best chain cleaner and lubrication to use on the chain?

·
Registered
865 Posts
or just clean a section of the chain at a time, lube it then pull the bike forward so you expose a new section of chain, rinse and repeat.

However, stands are a wonderful thing haha not only for lubing chain but storage so your tires dont get a flat spot, and other mantance, or mods you may do. they arent too expensive.

you could invest in a cheap pair of stands, but you may as well get some rear spools and a stand that works with them, its much safer and better. However, the cheap ones work. I have the cheap ones because I didnt know about spools before... and not I wish I had the better one. I bought spools anyways for protection.

Also, may as well grab a front an rear stand, storage, maintenance, balance while doing all this etc..

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I go for a small ride, put the rear end up on the stand, clean the chain with WD40 or CRC, wipe it off, spray on whatever chain lube you have
Exactly. We've found WD40 is a better cleaner that lube. Any good brand of chain lube will do, just get something on there.

Reactions: Wilhelm_ryan

·
Registered
554 Posts
Didn't WD40 actually come out with a lubricant and penetrate separately?

People seem to use WD40 as an all in one lubricant penetrate and cleaner lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I'm probably just going to invest in a rear stand and then eventually pick up a front stand as well. As far as spools go where exactly do they get installed at? As far as wd40 goes I've heard from a few people that its horrible for your chain and that diesel fuel or regular gasoline is better but I've read online that its perfectly safe for the chain as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use maxima chain cleaner also. Let it settle in a bit, scrub, then rinse it off. Your chain will be glistening afterwards. It's a worthwhile investment to get a rear stand. Aside from making cleaning the chain 100x easier, it's also nice to be able to keep the bike upright when doing other maintenance. A have a pitbull but the ones they sell at cycle gear are fine and they sell them half off quite often. For $40, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just got the "pack jack" solution to lift rear tire. It's simply awesome! Cheap, quick, easy and portable. Fits my ninja 300 like a charm.

Sent from my Motorola PT550 using Motorcycle.com Android app

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
scottoiler to the rescue

http://www.scottoiler.com/

its an automatic chain oiler.the oil they sell is dear as poison.buy chainsaw oil instead and use that, its less then half the price.
worth its weight in gold.i bought one of these and set it up on my vfr800 back in year 2000 and then rode it 17,922 kilometers round australia via highway number 1. i put over 60,000 kays on that bike before i sold it , with the stock oem chain it came with off the show room floor. the scottoiler did a magic job on that chain, no tight spots or anything.i cant speak highly enough about the scottoiler

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wow that's awesome, i have not seen that before, good stuff
Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
205 Posts
Epic newb question.

But what do rear spools do and is this something you need to install onto your Ninja 300?
They screw into your swingarm for easy attachment to the rear stand :)
There is a place already there to attach the spools, just use a bit of loctite blue to be safe when installing them

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
Epic newb question.

But what do rear spools do and is this something you need to install onto your Ninja 300?
You don't need them. IMO they were worth the $35. So quick and easy to do maintenance. If you get slider spools they also offer a little protection for the swingarm.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
952 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts