Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first motorcycle and I've had it for about a year. I went down twice already, the second time being the worst. When I first started riding my dad STRONGLY suggested I take the course but when I started looking for a school near me (Los Angeles, California ) they all have bad reviews. what would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is my first motorcycle and I've had it for about a year. I went down twice already, the second time being the worst. When I first started riding my dad STRONGLY suggested I take the course but when I started looking for a school near me (Los Angeles, California ) they all have bad reviews. what would you guys suggest?
I would recommend not taking everything to heart that you read on the internet as a first step ;). There are a ton of great courses out here in LA and the surrounding areas.

This is another great way to get your chops up:
https://training.msf-usa.org/res/st...+dKv7abMPZHMS3g==&zc=F80MPGyWEmarZwZK35JglA==

It also might be helpful to understand how/why you went down, was this low speed maneuvering or high speed crashes.

Keep in mind I am just a guy on the internet with a completely biased opinion so dont take what I say to heart ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would recommend not taking everything to heart that you read on the internet as a first step ;). There are a ton of great courses out here in LA and the surrounding areas.

This is another great way to get your chops up:
https://training.msf-usa.org/res/st...+dKv7abMPZHMS3g==&zc=F80MPGyWEmarZwZK35JglA==

It also might be helpful to understand how/why you went down, was this low speed maneuvering or high speed crashes.

Keep in mind I am just a guy on the internet with a completely biased opinion so dont take what I say to heart ;)
The first was low speed (40) I thought I'd be a good idea to get in front of traffic so I went onto the oncoming lane of course no cars were coming but a guy turned left and I dodged him but lost control and hit the curb. 2nd was on the freeway trying to make an exit at about 65 I ran out of room and ended up hitting the curb that separtes the exit from flowing traffic. Where did you take the course?

·
Registered
151 Posts
It sounds like both of your crashes were just due to poor decision making. Crossing over into the oncoming lane.. trying to make an exit without slowing down.. these are rarely good ideas.

A precision motorcycle control course might help you get out of another pickle, but it might not.

Rather than treating the symptom, instead treat the cause. Learn and practice better techniques for riding in traffic. I highly recommend David L. Hough's Proficient Motorcycling, especially Chapter 4: Urban Traffic Survival.

As a new rider on the street, you have two new skills to learn: (1) visual/mental---the MSF calls it "SEE: Search, Evaluate, Execute", and (2) physical---operating the machine itself. Obviously both are necessary, but as a street rider you will be tested for the former much more frequently than the latter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I will definitely read it. Yes very bad decisions. I had my tinted visor the accident happend at night in the second accident maybe if i had the clear one i would've been able to see what was coming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.