Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
1,132 Posts
This is funny
Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in California when done in a safe and prudent manner.
I think they add this so if you do get in a crash they can say you had not been doing it in a safe maner.

· Registered
3,936 Posts
Thanks for the link. :)

It's mostly nothing new. It's been on their sight for YEARS. Although the new part to general motorists IS new and although common sense, needed to be stated out in the open. I have known many people who have told me they would actually try to body check or otherwise try and screw with a biker lane splitting just because they see it as unfair. I then try to explain that there is NO LAW that makes assault with a deadly weapon for someone who isn't attacking you or anyone else legal.

I started riding in Arizona while stationed there and never thought about lane splitting. When I moved back to CA I was wondering why when I was riding behind some people, they would be randomly jerking left and right in the lane ahead of me until I remembered, lane splitting isn't illegal in CA and the guy ahead of me is a "feminine hygiene product" and thought he was stopping me from getting around him.

Be careful out there guys. Never assume that anyone around you knows what they are doing and always assume that if it isn't bolted to the ground, it's out to get you.

· Registered
138 Posts
In So-Cal driving around town- the name of the game is: stay out front, and if you're going to pass, do it fast.

Other vehicles around town actually get out of my way more often than they get in my way. I am starting to think that its because the bike is white and maybe they are thinking I am a cop until i zoom past them. Either that or people in my town are just considerate.

On the freeway its another story, lol. Pass EVERYONE, they are all idiots. Never stay beside, or behind anyone. And don't let anyone get close to you. Just pass them until you have a stretch of road in front of you.

And when you split lanes- do it at a brisk pace. Don't lolly gag in between cars, that is probably the worst thing you can do. Get past the congestion and back into a lane asap.

That's how I do it anyways. Thumbs up for splitting lanes and getting me where I need to go faster, and safer.

· Registered
351 Posts
Im from california and ive actually had people yell at me for lane splitting in stopped traffic (mostly old people) but it stills seems some people are kind of ignorant towards that here in california thats why i dont do it unless traffic is stopped or pretty close to stopping. Ive had friends tell me people have actually open there door on him when hes been lane splitting. Some people are morons. Ride safe everybody!!

· Registered
445 Posts
I've got to say that I was quite ignorant about lane splitting before I started getting into bikes. I don't think a lot of people in California know that it's legal and there are a lot of misconceptions about it as well. The knowledge base or information hasn't spread to the general public as readily. How are you going to really be aware of that (unless there is some type of public service announcement) if you drive a car, you know?

@stringer - LOL, people thinking you're a cop, I didn't even think about that. All the more reason to get the white color.

· Registered
270 Posts
Seems reasonable enough. I split maybe up to 50 MPH or so but it depends on a lot of factors. I probably go about 15 MPH when traffic is stopped. Also, its much less stressful when the lanes have a bit more width. In some areas in LA, you are always running into spots where two cars aren't separated by more than about a bike width.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.